Metal shower baskets that don't rust?

Soldato
I can't say I've ever had a problem with a bath mat going mouldy?

Are we talking the rubber type that goes in the bath or the fabric type that goes on the floor?

Either way, I just take it up and leave it over the side of the bath to allow air to circulate and dry it off, never had a problem with mould.

Soldato
Yeah the rubber ones with suckers that stop you slipping. Had about 10 now and they all start going mouldy after a few weeks. Got to admit we don't take it up and dry it after every shower, so could be why I guess.

Permabanned
Man of Honour
John Lewis do a couple of chrome plated brass ones, for £65/£85 depending on size, both with a 10 year guarantee. I've had one for a few years with no issues at all.

wsh

wsh

Associate
John Lewis do a couple of chrome plated brass ones, for £65/£85 depending on size, both with a 10 year guarantee. I've had one for a few years with no issues at all.

You can get exactly the same ones for a lot less by doing google image search on the pictures on the JL website!

Associate
I've seen one of those, really solid.
Don't get the brass version as it tarnishes after a few months, chrome should be OK though.

Really not liking/understanding that floor-to-ceiling thing above, why get something whose sole advantage is not requiring two screws? :confused:

Because it's what you have to do to be able to use those two screws, e.g. drill holes in tiles.

Now that might not necessarily be a difficult thing to do for many. However, it might and it could result in someone cracking tiles and ruining a bathroom. Hence the number of products that don't require drilling holes and using screws.

Now, I know how to drill holes in tiles and have recently done so to mount a shower curtain rail. But I'm still interested in that spring loaded solution as it offers the desired shelving without the need for drilling/screwing, at a reasonable price and it'll probably work well; unlike the suction-cup shelves I returned to B&Q the other week.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Now that might not necessarily be a difficult thing to do for many. However, it might and it could result in someone cracking tiles and ruining a bathroom. Hence the number of products that don't require drilling holes and using screws.

It's the thought process that I don't get.

£2,000 bathroom installed, but where does the shower gel go?
Oh just buy a rubber sucker thing, or a basket on a telescoping pole, that'll do.

Why does nobody put a shelf there? :(

Or in the case of wimmins 1001 shower products, some kind of walk in closet :o

Caporegime
I've never cracked a tile from drilling into at least 20 tiles. It's the FUD that makes people avoid screws in tiles.

Little bit of masking tape, low drill speed, decent tile / glass drill bits...you literally cannot go wrong. Besides which when you have you bathroom done, you keep spare tiles so worst case scenario is you pop the bust one off and replace.

Associate
Cheaper stainless still rusts - particularly with soap being caustic and warm steam over it. 316 grade steel is what you want, it's the same stuff used on boats and the like.

Associate
I've never cracked a tile from drilling into at least 20 tiles. It's the FUD that makes people avoid screws in tiles.

Little bit of masking tape, low drill speed, decent tile / glass drill bits...you literally cannot go wrong. Besides which when you have you bathroom done, you keep spare tiles so worst case scenario is you pop the bust one off and replace.

That's too much faff for me - I just use a masonary drill bit. :D

My superhuman, or whatever it's called, telescopic shelf was delivered yesterday and I'm very happy with it.

It was a breeze to build and install. It's feels and looks like a quality item. My wife wasn't too happy when it was delivered as it's not the sort of thing she likes, or wanted for our bathroom. But once it was up and loaded, even she had to admit it looked ok and did the job.

£94 was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but looking at what's on the market it was a good choice price:quality wise.

I agree that if you're building a new bathroom from scratch it's not necessarily the sort of thing you'd specify; you'd perhaps go for a more elegant, bespoke solution. But for an existing bathroom, one you've inherited and don't have, or can get, spare tiles for, it's just the job.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheaper stainless still rusts - particularly with soap being caustic and warm steam over it. 316 grade steel is what you want, it's the same stuff used on boats and the like.

stainless can't rust its impossible for it to rust and if it does it isn't stainless steel.

Soldato
OP
stainless can't rust its impossible for it to rust and if it does it isn't stainless steel.

Most stainless is 304 which will rust unfortunately. As mentioned above, 316 is the ticket if you want good quality stainless, but unfortunately it has a price premium too.

Loads of good thoughts in here guys, thanks for all this, seems I'm not the only one with this problem! I suspect I'm going to end up getting a plastic one if I can find a reasonable looking one, all of the metal offerings are too much cash for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom