Microsoft acquire Activision

Soldato
Don't understand why everyone is all for subscription based services.

It takes away consumer power.
This isn't like a lot of the new trend of subscription based services. There is nothing in this service you can't get without the game pass sub, you just pay differently (more). It's not like netflix, where you can't get the content without the sub.

I actually like gamepass, not for getting the games I would have otherwise bought, but the quantity of quality smaller developer/publisher games, games I would have missed.

Admittedly, I do wonder if this has/will have a bit of an Amazon effect, whereby if you're not on the game pass (as a smaller dev/pub), there is less money going around, almost forcing devs to sign up. Time will tell I guess.

Permabanned
Gamepass is great when you can convert cheap gold passes especially ones from cheaper countries into GPU.

I doubt I would be paying the full price £11 or whatever it is per month. It’s perfect for playing games i otherwise wouldn’t buy. I usually buy and resell games once completed anyway so cost isn’t that much of an issue.

Soldato
Gamepass is great when you can convert cheap gold passes especially ones from cheaper countries into GPU.

I doubt I would be paying the full price £11 or whatever it is per month. It’s perfect for playing games i otherwise wouldn’t buy. I usually buy and resell games once completed anyway so cost isn’t that much of an issue.

Even at £132 a year, you'd only have to play 3 full games to get your moneys work (assuming you don't sell them on etc). I've got a cheap gamepass deal at the moment but because of the variety on the service I'd happily pay £11 a month for it.

Permabanned
Even at £132 a year, you'd only have to play 3 full games to get your moneys work (assuming you don't sell them on etc). I've got a cheap gamepass deal at the moment but because of the variety on the service I'd happily pay £11 a month for it.

true going forward it’s going to be a lot easier to pay £11 a month, if it stays at that, with all the potential games from new studios.

I think in the time I’ve had it probably 18months I played around 6 games to completion. Downloaded more stuff kids will knock about with when over etc

It has been more than worth it to be fair.

Associate
I’m really hoping that the acquisition will mean the other highly talented studios will start pumping out their own games.

Investment to make Sledgehammer, Treyarch and Infinity Ward bigger and able to continue the COD franchise without using the other studios makes sense to me.

Soldato
Gamepass is the way things are going whether we like it or not and Sony know how far behind they are in this respect. Unfortunatley I don't think they can compete as they don't have the $$$. Great exclusives aren't enough. People with Gamepass now expect great exclusives day one, at no extra cost, plus shed loads of other varied content all the time. It's like going to a video game store with your mates and being able to play anything you want. Who wants to go back to weighing up the pros and cons of what to spend you hard earned cash on each time you buy a game?

Soldato
Gamepass is the way things are going whether we like it or not and Sony know how far behind they are in this respect. Unfortunatley I don't think they can compete as they don't have the $$$. Great exclusives aren't enough. People with Gamepass now expect great exclusives day one, at no extra cost, plus shed loads of other varied content all the time. It's like going to a video game store with your mates and being able to play anything you want. Who wants to go back to weighing up the pros and cons of what to spend you hard earned cash on each time you buy a game?
How are they far behind?

SOny have PS NOW which is basically gamepass..

ALso, Dying light 2 and Lost Ark, a very popular game is not on gamepass..

Forza motosport was also removed from it....

edit: where is fifa?

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass/games#

Literally gamepass is so overhyped. The way some preach it you would think i could type any of the popular video games on it and its their....

nope

Associate

Since most games are hot garbage on release, I end up buying them on sale after several patches. Sony might lose some market share but even if Game Pass had every PC game, I'd still buy a PlayStation for the exclusives that have been consistently good.

Soldato
Literally gamepass is so overhyped. The way some preach it you would think i could type any of the popular video games on it and its their....

Nobody said every game, but enough to keep most gamers happy. I still buy the occasional title - Death's Door being the last one (which then came out on Gamepass) - but for the most part treat it like Netflix. It's the default. PS Now is a sub par Gamepass that none of my friends have. It's like Hulu. I have had both the Series X and PS5 since launch btw and Gamepass has been transformative. I've discovered and completed more games in the last year than in the previous 5 and have clocked more game hours with my mates than in the previous 10. It is by far the best model for playing games if the content is there. When I do buy games, however, I tend to do it on the PS5 just to have a reason to turn it on. That and I like the pad.

Soldato
I sub to PSNow and at times there is something on there I want to play. Mostly though I've no interest or if they are first party I've already played them or have bought them in a digital sale. If something first party like Horizon 2 launched on it I would be very happy but I just can't see it happening. I think I pay £8.99 a month for it and I try to at least play one title a month. It's cheap enough to be disposable just like GP but I don't know if I like it all that much. No doubt that it's the future when all they see is how much Netflix are pulling every month.

What concerns me more is using a Netflix style model with the addition of all this talk of GaaS being the future. We might not even get full games day one (whether paid for or through a sub) just bits of them and 'seasons'. Ugh.

GP will improve with all these new acquisitions it's just going to take time for titles to release. Whether it's enough for me to want to buy another Xbox remains to be seen.

Caporegime
What concerns me more is using a Netflix style model with the addition of all this talk of GaaS being the future. We might not even get full games day one (whether paid for or through a sub) just bits of them and 'seasons'. Ugh.

That's exactly what I think will happen. You'll get one 1/6th of the game and then they'll release the next 1/6th every 3 months or so. With different games offering their 1/6th in the other months.

Caporegime
That sounds gash to me, I like to binge games I'm really into not play 1/6th of the game then wait.

By the time the next instalment comes out I'd have lost interest and for some games, forgotten how to play!

Soldato
Sony is not happy about CoD being owned by MS revealed in a regulator questionnaire, boo ******* hoo :cry:

Caporegime
Sony is not happy about CoD being owned by MS revealed in a regulator questionnaire, boo ******* hoo :cry:

Sony have paid Activision millions in the past to gatekeep game modes, DLC and skins to Playstation consoles, sometimes for up to a year. They've got some cheek.

Soldato
The fact is Sony haven't created a "must have" FPS/Shooter for some time, guess the closest they have had for some time was killzone.
Explains why they shelled out for exclusive COD and Destiny content.

XBox has Halo, Gears and soon COD. If your a shooter player then Xbox has a good range.
Sony is much more action games, Spiderman, last of us etc.

Horses for courses but you can understand Sonys fear of losing their COD pull and influence.

I would imagine their fear is COD day one on gamepass will shift a lot of machines.

Maybe they will go all MAD, you pull my COD and I will pull your Destiny ;)

Caporegime
The fact is Sony haven't created a "must have" FPS/Shooter for some time, guess the closest they have had for some time was killzone.
Explains why they shelled out for exclusive COD and Destiny content.

XBox has Halo, Gears and soon COD. If your a shooter player then Xbox has a good range.

Neither Halo or Gears are console sellers from a Shooter perspective anymore. It's just Microsoft flogging the same tired old franchises badly. They keep buying up studios for games and coming out with nothing new. Getting on for 2 years with a new console and all we are getting are Series X/S updates and reworks.

Only someone who doesn't play Gears would hold Gears up as a Microsoft success in the shooter market. It's not been relevant since 2011 when they pushed out Gears 3 and even that population base dropped off rapidly. Gears is a dead game in the shooter genre. I say this as someone who has played 95 days on Gears 5. The games only population is on horde and has been for years and even that is dead. Gears 5 as a PVP shooter was a complete and utter failure. But then it would be, no one cares about close combat shotgun games.

Back
Top Bottom