Microsoft Edge Chromium

Soldato
I really like edge - I don't use it, as I spend most of my computing time on a Mac, but when I'm on Windows, it's a really lightweight, quick browser with some useful features.

Ultimately, I still use Chrome due to cross platform availability

Associate
I really like edge - I don't use it, as I spend most of my computing time on a Mac, but when I'm on Windows, it's a really lightweight, quick browser with some useful features.

Ultimately, I still use Chrome due to cross platform availability

The last article I read had Edge firmly in Chrome's shadow for overall performance. Certainly subjectively, I can't see that Edge is any quicker than Chrome, possibly the opposite, if anything.

Soldato
On my main PC and laptop, I don't notice any speed difference between Chrome and Edge, so tend to use whichever is open. On my my slower tablet though (Celeron N3450 with 6GB RAM and an eMMC drive), Edge definitely feels quicker/more responsive than Chrome does on everything outside YouTube, so that's the browser I use on it.

Soldato
Isn't edge (with drm mechanisms) unique, being able access netflix4khdr versus other browsers ? but may folks install netflix specific app.
I had inferred, from this, it was a less hackable browser than others.

Edge is well integrated on touch tablets with tabs/bookmark access too, FF's not, and I've never tried chrome.

Soldato
The last article I read had Edge firmly in Chrome's shadow for overall performance. Certainly subjectively, I can't see that Edge is any quicker than Chrome, possibly the opposite, if anything.

I find Edge is a lot quicker when it comes to resource intensive sites - it isn't always quicker at loading content, but Chrome often waits to download everything before you can interact with the webpage, whereas Edge will download placeholders for images etc, but let you scroll etc.

As I mentioned, the overall content may not download quicker, but the perceived responsiveness is.

Soldato
Edge will still be around, it will just be powered by Blink instead of EdgeHTML. So in theory Edge should have the same UI and feel the same when using it. But honestly the engine is not what prevents me from using Edge, it's the actual features itself compared to Chrome and Firefox.

I suppose it does mean they can redirect more resources to Edge's feature set to make it competitive, instead of spending a fair bit of time working on the browser engine to keep up with the competition. And considering how slow they were to update it (usually together with the major W10 updates), this could be good for both performance and security.

But that also means the only competing engine we'll have is Gecko, site designers will more likely target Blink/Webkit based browsers instead of sticking with universal standards due to the huge market share it will have. And Google being the developers behind Blink will mean they will have a lot of power on what sort of standards the web should have, just like when IE had a major market share and started introducing IE only features that killed off Netscape.

Soldato
Embrace, extend, extinguish!

tbf I never found Edge that bad in the last few years, in the beginning it had its quirks for sure though

But that also means the only competing engine we'll have is Gecko, site designers will more likely target Blink/Webkit based browsers instead of sticking with universal standards due to the huge market share it will have. And Google being the developers behind Blink will mean they will have a lot of power on what sort of standards the web should have, just like when IE had a major market share and started introducing IE only features that killed off Netscape.

Its ironic that the company's that used these extra/nonstandard parts of IE are now the reason MS can not kill off IE anytime soon due to incompatibilitys. The practises they followed back then is now causing a right thorn in there side. lets hope history does not repeat!

Associate
Embrace, extend, extinguish!
Its ironic that the company's that used these extra/nonstandard parts of IE are now the reason MS can not kill off IE anytime soon due to incompatibilitys. The practises they followed back then is now causing a right thorn in there side. lets hope history does not repeat!

Highly unlikely as IE completely dominated the browser market at one time. Edge is lucky if it has ever had 2% at its very peak.

Soldato
Seems like they're going all in by ditching their ChakraCore javascript engine in favour of Google's V8 too. Also, it's coming to windows 7/8.1 and Mac.

Soldato
Yup, looks like they completely confirmed it: https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/MSEdge/blob/master/README.md

Quite surprising they're going to support older Windows and OSX too, but the move to Chromium must've made it easy for them to make it cross platform since the code is already there. Reading more on their statement, other platforms are also possible too.

Honestly it would've been more comfortable if they went with Gecko/Servo instead, that would've been a massive boost to Mozilla's development and will ensure Blink will have a proper competitor in the future. It performs well, but they don't seem to have the push like Google to prompt the average person to try them out.

On the other hand, I guess this may also give Google a chance to make a UWP version of Chrome?

Back
Top Bottom