*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
i had a nose on linus this morning, will take getting used too, but as usual avoid it like the plague at launch, it will be a total bug ridden mess

Can't say I've noticed any issues so far which is very surprising. I've installed all my drivers and applications, setup all my works stuff, teams, odfb, VPNs etc etc. Fingers crossed.

The only niggle (I think), is that google drive backup and sync doesn't pull down from quick links. I'm sure you could navigate from the left hand side but now it's just a link. Unless on windows 10 it integrated within the explorer shell and now it doesn't.

My surface dock 2 still plays up after each reboot, but it did that on windows 10.

The start menu and widgets are significantly better! but whilst better, I wish they'd put the widgets into the notifications panel instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a step in the right direction, certainly looks wise imo, I'm mainly a linux user but I took a risk and did an upgrade on my win10 machine to win11, it took ages but it worked which surprised me, it runs just great btw for anyone wondering and its smooth (nice animations) and fast.

Man of Honour
Must as i am not a fan of windows, Linux is not a realsitic replacement for the average user.

Yeah sadly it just isn't realistic. I'm pretty familiar with Linux - used to work for a game service provider so lots of experience with building distributions from scratch, creating webmin/usermin systems, etc. etc. even built a heavily customised version of Debian with Fluxbox at one point (lots of shell programming, etc.) and have a couple of Ubuntu installs for various tasks even now.

I'd leave Windows 10 behind like a shot for Linux if it was a viable alternative.

Associate
Yeah I would happily run Linux if it ran my entire game collection as well or better than Windows... but it doesn't.

Yeah its getting better and yeah you can have dual boot etc but why bother? 10 years ago I would have loved the hassle but now defo cba so it's Windows for the foreseeable future

On the Win11 side I installed the iso that is kicking about in a VM earlier and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the huge full screen centre app draw, its offensive on a very large monitor. There are options in taskbar settings to change the off-set to left or right but you can't change it without activating Windows so not sure what it actually looks like when you do that.

Back
Top Bottom