*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

V F

V F

Soldato
Although widely reported, that was only said once, by a Senior Software Developer, during a live event at an Ignite conference. There was never an official statement from Microsoft on this.

They may well have stuck with 10, if macOS 11 didn't happen.

Yet Apple doesn't make a new OS of theirs for a new skin. They refine what's already there. No drastic changes.

V F

V F

Soldato
True, though. It's usually between 3 and 4. The third year mainstream support, the 4th year secondary support then dropped altogether.

Soldato
Anyone had an issues with hyper v vms since installing the release version?

I had a VM setup and working in Windows 10.
I updated to the preview version of Windows 11, VM still worked fine.
Just did a clean install of Windows 11 and tried creating the VM and attaching to the existing hd, now it's got it self into a situation where it's trying to auto repair itself and then says it can't.

Permabanned
OP
Anyone had an issues with hyper v vms since installing the release version?

I had a VM setup and working in Windows 10.
I updated to the preview version of Windows 11, VM still worked fine.
Just did a clean install of Windows 11 and tried creating the VM and attaching to the existing hd, now it's got it self into a situation where it's trying to auto repair itself and then says it can't.

I got it, had to do a fresh install completely. There is something up with Hyper-V.

Don't use it for now.

Soldato
Is gaining better in some instances, or am I tripping?

I played some Escape From Tarkov earlier and was sure it was performing better than on Windows 10??

Man of Honour
Having edited through several hundred RAW images in Lightroom Classic now I have to say the loading performance in the Develop module is noticeably quicker than on Windows 10. Nothing else has changed other than upgrading from 10 to 11 so I can only attribute the small boost to Windows 11's new storage stack leveraging a bit more efficiency from the NVMe drive although how much that plays a part considering I have had installed the Samsung NVMe driver I don't know.

Soldato
I ended up getting a black screen of death as well before it went into a recovery loop. I know VMware works as I moved over to that from Hyper-V.

Thanks, might make the switch and create a fresh VM. not holding out much hope that this one stuck into the auto repair look is going to be recoverable. My biggest issue is I can't seem to find the windows licence key I bought for the VM :(.

But generally, with this fresh windows 11 install, I'm seeing a lot of random things. The first install didn't install The Microsoft Store at all along with all the apps related to that, had to do a 2nd clean install to fix that. Not when I've just started up, some of the pinned icons on the taskbar are missing their icons.

Never Had any of these issues on the preview release :(

Permabanned
OP
Thanks, might make the switch and create a fresh VM. not holding out much hope that this one stuck into the auto repair look is going to be recoverable. My biggest issue is I can't seem to find the windows licence key I bought for the VM :(.

I couldn't get mine to recover no matter what I did it was broken completely. Did you not create a snapshot by any chance?

Associate
It's not a bad video, felt a little contrived but does show what can be done to exploit weaknesses in the config of an OS. I still don't see why they couldn't have enabled these protections within Win10 by default rather than release a new OS, as he says the protections are already there and just need enabling.

I guess this is where Win11 comes into it and having a baseline to work from and may explain their comments about minimum hardware requirements and why those machines that are running unsupported hardware won't receive updates. I would venture that those updates they are referring to aren't the usual cumulative updates but the larger feature updates which may contain enhanced/additional security features, Microsoft have said several times this is an initial release and they have far more planned with later releases of 11.

Soldato
I couldn't get mine to recover no matter what I did it was broken completely. Did you not create a snapshot by any chance?
not 100% sure. I think in hyper v before I started the install of the release version it was showing as 'saved' so could have been a snapshot. wondering if whatever it 'saved' was actually on the c: that got wiped and not in the location of the VM files.

But looking at the location of the HD it stored for the VM, the folders in the same location 'Snapshots', 'Virtual Machines' etc are all empty apart from the Hard disk. got a feeling windows has screwed me over here and stored things in its 'default' place

Man of Honour
CPU speed is somewhat optimistic.

img

Permabanned
OP
not 100% sure. I think in hyper v before I started the install of the release version it was showing as 'saved' so could have been a snapshot. wondering if whatever it 'saved' was actually on the c: that got wiped and not in the location of the VM files.

But looking at the location of the HD it stored for the VM, the folders in the same location 'Snapshots', 'Virtual Machines' etc are all empty apart from the Hard disk. got a feeling windows has screwed me over here and stored things in its 'default' place

damn!

Soldato
DirectStorage was going to be the big one, but Microsoft did a U-turn and have said it will come to Windows 10 after all.

I wondered who somebody at Microsoft said it will come to Windows 10 like somebody said Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. Maybe Microsoft did another U-turn or games developers tested found DirectStorage has big performance issues on Windows 10 and Microsoft decided to removed DirectStorage Windows 10 support.

I found Windows 11 features list showed Windows 10 will not have DirectStorage.

o0INq54.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-11-home-vs-pro-versions

I wonder when will we see first PC game to use DirectStorage?

Associate
Okay so I've installed Windows 11 on my old Alienware Aurora R4 (i7 3930k based). Actually really hassle free and easy to do, still seems really snappy and quick and no issues.

Im still not a fan of the UI for it and the lack of the small taskbar icons (I know its possible to do with the regedit hack but im lazy :D)

Im still sceptical about installing it on my main PC, but I may after its been a while after release and its been updated a fair bit. But all in all, very good experience I just need to adjust to the new UI.

Also it was interesting installing Windows using a Microsoft account with a Windows key linked as my main PC doesnt use this but I had it on the Alienware previously with Windows 10, nice and convinient not having to get a key.

Screenshot of the "About PC" if anyone is interested:
SASFnQ4.png

Back
Top Bottom