*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I can disable the automatic updates through the Group Policy Editor, the same way as I disabled them on windows 10 and they stayed disabled, even after big updates. Plus you can disable the drivers from being automatically updated through windows update aswel if you want.

I run my updates monthly manually

AGBW9zS.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can disable the automatic updates through the Group Policy Editor, the same way as I disabled them on windows 10 and they stayed disabled, even after big updates. Plus you can disable the drivers from being automatically updated through windows update aswel if you want.

I run my updates monthly manually

It mostly works, mostly, but there have been instances where "critical" updates have ignored policies and/or even been pushed through SCCM, etc.

The only way I've found that reliably, completely, blocks updates so far is using Windows Update Blocker but then that means you have to rely on 3rd party software of potentially unknown quality... and doesn't mean MS won't break its methods of preventing automatic updates in the future either :(

Soldato
It mostly works, mostly, but there have been instances where "critical" updates have ignored policies and/or even been pushed through SCCM, etc.

The only way I've found that reliably, completely, blocks updates so far is using Windows Update Blocker but then that means you have to rely on 3rd party software of potentially unknown quality... and doesn't mean MS won't break its methods of preventing automatic updates in the future either :(
Win10/11 has never auto updated since disabling the auto update. but with 11 says its checked for update daily and found none, but it finds updates when I click check for updates. So it hasn't checked at all, or it checks but dont install them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I also had this error and I had to disable everything in the Virus and threat detection settings section before retrying the update worked.
I tried this earlier in the day but it still failed. The only option I can change is Virus and threat protection settings which I disabled. It might be a conflict with something I have installed but no idea what. I don't have much installed. A few games and such.

Soldato
I tried this earlier in the day but it still failed. The only option I can change is Virus and threat protection settings which I disabled. It might be a conflict with something I have installed but no idea what. I don't have much installed. A few games and such.
I looked at your posts and watched youtube. KB5014697 was successfully installed on mine.

So you had tried deleted Windows Update cache, disabled Windows Defender, ran Windows Update Troubleshooter, ran Windows Update Reset Tool did not help it.

I googled 0x800f0988 Windows 11 found some links that may help you to fix issue.

I looked at error code 0x800f0988.txt and compared to Windows Update Reset Tool batch file found some difference.

error code 0x800f0988.txt

Code:
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*"

Windows Update Reset Tool

Code:
del /s /q /f "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
del /s /q /f "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

Windows Update Reset Tool batch file to delete only one file gmgr*.dat but not all files!

Let try error code 0x800f0988.txt as batch file to see if it will fix your issue.

If it still not worked then try DISM and SFC.

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:E\Sources\install.wim /LimitAccess
SFC /scannow

if all above still not help then do you have additional languages installed? Tried manually install KB5014697 from Microsoft Catalog?

If all above efforts failed then reinstall Windows 11 using in place upgrade to repair installation.

Caporegime
I didn't realise I could enable TPM in the bios until recently. My system has been running well for ages so I've not been in any hurry to migrate to Windows 11, but I might do so soon.

Soldato
i finding some strange goings on, the main one, atm idle im pulling around 150w from the wall, now when i open task manager and leave it open my consumption falls to around 110w-120w from the wall. not complaining in these high energy bills time, but strange for sure,lol

Back
Top Bottom