*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
May not even have to update a bios as a lot have it built in.

Example: My asus strix z390-f showed on the compatibility app as not having TPM enabled. So i checked TPM.msc to see what it said and it said it was disabled under firmware/bios.

So off I popped to my user manual and found the TPM setting under pch-fw config, changed the setting from discreet to firmware TPM, restarted and boom - w11 is now compatible.

Have seen similar with Gigabyte etc so worth checking your manual and bios - however I wouldnt leave it on till you want to upgrade to w11.

a lot of mobos will have it, its just the checker wont see it even as an option if at a bios level its disabled or set to discrete. As I said, check your manual and see whats it called. Some are called "trusted computing" as an example.

Worth a check before discounting your current hardware or waiting on a bios flash

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Microsoft is working on a fix for the PC Health Check app, first update scheduled for today

Microsoft is working on a fix for the PC Health Check app, first update scheduled for today - Neowin

Another tool that is easier to run than the other Github one as it is a simple .exe

2021-06-25-1.png

Releases · rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 · GitHub

Oh go on then!

Win11_newcheck.jpg

I'm good to go I guess :p

Soldato
By requiring a TPM, they are also trying to set the bar as well for security..
Except for the minor detail that a large proportion of the people who will be expecting the free upgrade, because they're on windows 10, likely don't even know what tpm is, have never had it turned on if their system supports it (I'm relatively tech savvy and I've never bothered with it) and aren't exactly knowledgeable about going in the bios to enable it etc (those of us that are the family 'tech support' will love it)... hell we've seen people on here not knowing their new cpu had built in support and just needed it to be turned on.

This one simple (forced) requirement (for all it's good intentions) could be a big PR disaster for windows 11 (would fit in the good,bad,good cycle... win 11 falls in the bad cycle).... the fact they're excluding pc's which are no where near their end of usable life is a close second imo.

Man of Honour
If they want to set the bar for security TPM is the last of the issues - they are still patching dozens of security issues in 10 on a regular basis which should never have existed in the first place. At least security issues are (mostly) getting fixed in a timely fashion in 10 but there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.

They also don't seem to understand what people's issues are with updates from the latest news about changing around the schedule, etc. or are just saying that to make it look like they are doing something.

Soldato
Guess I wont be installing W11, no TPM and no TPM header on my Asus Rog Strixx B550-F.

Modern CPUs have TPM built-in. Like @GAM8LE I found it in the Advanced settings under PCH-FW:

Example: My asus strix z390-f showed on the compatibility app as not having TPM enabled. So i checked TPM.msc to see what it said and it said it was disabled under firmware/bios.

Associate
Seems I dont need it, my 5600x has the capability built in it just needed to be enabled. (Unless that is the workaround!)

All hail W11!

Indeed the work around is to enable fTPM within the BIOS.

And there’s a scary thought, within the next decade we shall all be bowing to our new masters, the all powerful, the all knowing Apple and Microsoft. “All Hail” indeed.

V F

V F

Soldato
i watched that at the cinema wowsers along time ago.

Don't forget all the rage between Betamax and VHS back then. I remember waiting on it and it was only on Betamax in the video rental stores. Then we all watched it in a friends house one Friday night. Good times. :D

Back
Top Bottom