*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Permabanned
It was supposed to be allowed on Win 10 and on SSD's also but no matter as that will be some amount of wear as it writes to the drive all the time.

Man of Honour
I wonder how long console drives will last then in that case given the write ops that a typical console will subject its SSD to given how often consoles are played and for the lengths of time.

Samsung's drives typically are rated for 320GB odd writes per day for their optimum lifespan, that's a lot. Will Direct Storage ram through anywhere near that kind of workload?

I am in the process of upgrading the SATA to nvme though as need some more space and could do with faster read/write times for non gaming workloads. Samsung 970 Evo Plus here I come...

Permabanned
Be better writing to some form of Memory/RAM that does not wear and can remember if powered by battery or such if mains pulled

Remember that that extra smaller Ram slot some of which had a fixed/soldered module that appeared on Mobos but got pulled before launch back on Z68-Z87 timeline AFAIR.

If you want longest write life then it is Samsung Pro's or go full enterprise drives and £££.

Man of Honour
Pro is overkill for my needs, the EVo Plus was at a great price vs performance vs life really. 325GB/day is pretty mental. My 2015 bought Intel 730 series 480GB SATA is sitting at

LifeTime Writes: 1,764,446 GB (equiv 294 GB/day)
LifeTime Reads: 1,515,797 GB (equiv 252 GB/day)

Intel's SSD toolbox still puts health over 90% and from what I've read the 970 Evo Plus is at least just as good if not better with their 325 GB/day writes!

For reference Intel's own product page rates endurance for the 730 series at 70 GB/day so I think modern drives fair pretty well beyond their rated spec :o

Permabanned
Yes even the Samsung QVO's tested far beyond what they claim but this Direct Storage will soon add up the writes esp with todays big games.

Permabanned
2.2.1 comes with the following changes:

Fixes Compatibility Misspelling (Credit @DigitalfoxPT)

Adds x86 Build (Those on x86 will Fail OS Architecture Check)

Fixed Pentium Gold Processor Detection (See Below for Backporting List)

Fixes WDDM Detection for a Small Number of People Running Bleeding Edge GPUs

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

2021-06-27.png

Man of Honour
Yes even the Samsung QVO's tested far beyond what they claim but this Direct Storage will soon add up the writes esp with todays big games.

When I first got my Samsung 840 Evo I put 12TB of writes on it in a few weeks using it for video capture and manipulation in a way which is probably not hugely different to how Direct Storage would operate - I quickly stopped doing that. In the 7 years or so since I've only put another 20TB of writes on it with general use.

EDIT: Though based on the endurance stats for some of the newer drives that would hold up 10-15 years.

Permabanned
OP
From
Microsoft:

Insider W11 builds can be installed on systems that don't meet the requirements, which is what you have been seeing.

At final release we will enforce the requirements for new installs. Any existing insider W11 install will not be changed to final release if requirements are not met (nor will those machines get any updates) - we recommend you roll back to Windows 10.

W11 at final release will require Internet to install and file verification will take place. You will be unable to bypass the system requirement checks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1408770930818572292

ooooof big ooooof Microsoft might be shooting themselves in the foot, they really going to limit who can install it.

Associate
ooooof big ooooof Microsoft might be shooting themselves in the foot, they really going to limit who can install it.

That's the idea.

1 - Helps drive new laptop / Pc sales
2 - decreases overall work for microsoft with trying to support older hardware

I think it was about time they did this in terms of supporting only newer hardware, I am not worried and will use W11 even thou I don't like the UI design i'm not a fan of the rounded corners.

Soldato
Regarding direct storage.

no I do not think it's going to have any noticeable impact on ssd lifespan.

Couple different reasons

1) For the fast majority of games they won't operate in a way that stresses drives any more than they do now, the date just moves fast because the cpu is bypassed

2) Were unlikely to see many if any games that could stress a ssd more when the ram is big enough to store enough data already

I think people are confused here, the amount of data transferred from storage into ram/vram won't change because of direct storage, the data just moves faster that's all. It's in the name really, it's called DirectStorage, not BigStorage/BackAndForthStorage

Permabanned
OP
That's the idea.

1 - Helps drive new laptop / Pc sales
2 - decreases overall work for microsoft with trying to support older hardware

I think it was about time they did this in terms of supporting only newer hardware, I am not worried and will use W11 even thou I don't like the UI design i'm not a fan of the rounded corners.

They might be getting a back handed from hardware companies. Just means less people will move to windows 11 that can’t afford to buy new hardware.

Soldato
2.2.1 comes with the following changes:

Fixes Compatibility Misspelling (Credit @DigitalfoxPT)

Adds x86 Build (Those on x86 will Fail OS Architecture Check)

Fixed Pentium Gold Processor Detection (See Below for Backporting List)

Fixes WDDM Detection for a Small Number of People Running Bleeding Edge GPUs

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

2021-06-27.png

all green except TPM now gonna wait for a better version..

Soldato
I'm dual booting this leaked version, have to go to advanced startup settings to get back to Windows 10.

This early build feels better than Windows 10, it seems to boot quicker, loads stuff quicker, and FS2020 seems to be running better for me, even though it's all on an SSHD at the moment.

Soldato
So basically they have made my main and side PCs end of life by this utterly stupid requirement for TPM, even though both boards can accept a module there is NO MODULES for sale to install on to them. I work in corporate environment so I'm well aware of TPM and secure boot where they are integral to bitlocker use but outside that in the home market it doesn't have anywhere near the need, requirement or install base outside of expensive home laptop models.

I'm very livid at this requirement considering the costs I will have to foot to replacement both my system due to Microsofts **** like this!!!!!

This will increase the run on hardware silicon and parts as more people artificially upgrade their parts and/or PCs as a whole. Talk about generating ewaste for next to no real reason, grrr.

Really? But why do you have to upgrade to W11 right now? Why not wait until nearer EOL for W10 when you might be considering a hardware refresh anyway? I've never understood this need to upgrade right now, and if the mentality is, "I must upgrade right away" then why be reticent about upgrading the hardware too? No one is making you upgrade to W11 right now.

And on a finer point, TPM is not integral to bitlocker, so I'm not sure you are fully "aware" as much as you think you are...

V F

V F

Soldato
Really? But why do you have to upgrade to W11 right now? Why not wait until nearer EOL for W10 when you might be considering a hardware refresh anyway? I've never understood this need to upgrade right now, and if the mentality is, "I must upgrade right away" then why be reticent about upgrading the hardware too? No one is making you upgrade to W11 right now.

And on a finer point, TPM is not integral to bitlocker, so I'm not sure you are fully "aware" as much as you think you are...

This the same people I read on Neowin and other tech sites saying for years... "omgz you still on that old OS? get with the times" "Luddites on their old OS's." "It's because of people like you tech is held back when Microsoft cannot focus resources on other areas."

Associate

I will upgrade when I want to upgrade thanks, never said I was going out to buy new hardware. If you cant tell why I'm annoyed I am not going to explain it as I consider you to be a troll with your reply.

Also TPM and Bitlocker... yeah ok you keep going doing it the way you want. Yeah I'm well aware its not requirement for it but if you don't know why you really should use both together I'm not going to tell you.

To be clear as well this is my only reply to you as I have you now on ignore as you tried to invalidate my view point rather than engage and change it, just so you're 'aware'.

Back
Top Bottom