*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Seems like a good thing to me? On the face of it, guess depends how far it goes.
No it's not good, it's an example of how you eventually won't be able to use your system to do much without enabling TPM. The next thing might be that you can no longer watch Netflix without TPM. It will make perfectly good old hardware obsolete. It's basically just an invasive black box in your system that does nothing to benefit you the consumer, but allows third parties to enforce what you can and can't do on your system.

Permabanned
No it's not good, it's an example of how you eventually won't be able to use your system to do much without enabling TPM. The next thing might be that you can no longer watch Netflix without TPM. It will make perfectly good old hardware obsolete. It's basically just an invasive black box in your system that does nothing to benefit you the consumer, but allows third parties to enforce what you can and can't do on your system.

Combatting cheating, combatting piracy, sounds fine? Perfectly good old hardware can use W10.

Man of Honour
Combatting cheating, combatting piracy, sounds fine? Perfectly good old hardware can use W10.

If only that was the extent of it. Meanwhile the cheaters will probably find a way around it and everyone else will suffer with more restrictions.

Sadly I don't think I can convey just how much TPM works against the interests of the end user in the long run - if anyone had any sense there would be a concerted effort to boycott it.

Soldato
Encountered my first real annoyance today. Run app1 full screen with app2 running in the background. You can no longer drag content from app1 over the taskbar icon for app2 and have it automatically switch bringing app2 to the front. To drag/drop between windows, you now have to arrange them side by side in advance. :/

Associate
Only show stopping bug I've noticed so far is related to VPN adapter randomly disappearing if not in use.

Running W11 via Intune Endpoint Mgr with Always On VPN. The VPN connection settings and adapter deployed fine during the build and is sometimes present, other times not. It seems to be random as to when it decides to reappear. Running on battery or mains connected, seen it happen under both scenarios. Connected to company network or none company network. Wired or Wireless connected.

Anybody else using AOVPN from Endpoint Manager experienced this with W11?

Associate
It's not going to be a magic fix to stop cheating, as Rroff said they will likely find a way around it as they always do, especially when there's a lot of money to be made. There are cheats for consoles these days with cronus max/zen, and there was even an AI auto aim cheat that Activision shut down, but it's proof of concept and shows that the idea works. It most definitely won't do anything to combat piracy, just like DRM which does nothing but inconvenience paying customers. I'm not entirely sure that combating piracy is a good thing anyway, without it the prices of Netflix/Prime Video etc would likely be much higher.

Man of Honour
This all brings me back to installing anti-cheat software on our paid for Counterstrike server :D

I'm all for anti-cheating - but sadly for the most part the only effective way to do it is a game having robust ability to kick/ban players, community ran servers with good administration and the tools to monitor players to help admins/moderators make good decisions on who is most likely cheating rather than a good player, etc. including basic stuff like spectator mode.

The amount of money and resources thrown at cheating any other approach is doomed to either failure or not work great either reducing the appeal of the game due to the restrictions even if you keep most cheaters out or just worked around by the hackers.

Problem with stuff like TPM is acts as much as a barrier between you and your software as it provides you with security from other people or malicious software and there are other ways to protect you from other people or malicious software without also having the features there which provide an additional wall, controlled by a 3rd party, between you and your software.

Associate
I'm testing the latest ISO (modded to install on my ancient haswell cpu/mbr hard drive) and it's definitely moved on since the day one release I tried. It'll be interesting to see if they really do block updates for those on unsupported hardware. For a lot of people, that would be an ideal scenario. :p
Hi there, any chance of explaining how you did that? I'm also on a haswell cpu, want to upgrade to windows 11 to test it out.

Edit: managed to check some guides, installed and 0 issues so far. Only major annoyance was not having the date/hours in the taskbar on second monitor, but "fixed" it with rainmeter. So far so good.

Edit2: another "annoyance" is an extra step to extract zips or extra options on right click.

For reference, i5 4690k, r9 270x, 16gb ddr3, 120gb ssd for windows. Did update on top of my old windows 10, no problems with any app previously installed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi there, any chance of explaining how you did that? I'm also on a haswell cpu, want to upgrade to windows 11 to test it out.

Edit: managed to check some guides, installed and 0 issues so far.

Link to guides please? One of my machines is 4690K based too so I've not been able to change that through Windows update.

Edit2: another "annoyance" is an extra step to extract zips or extra options on right click.

Yeah that's annoying me a little. Fortunately I don't have to unzip very often (so to speak).

Soldato
Installed the inside preview and all working fine apart from airlink on my Oculus quest 2.
Totally messed up with very low frame rates, there's a workaround using the Oculus debug tool. Hopefully Oculus will patch it soon

Back
Top Bottom