*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
@mrk - many thanks for that. I can't remember seeing the shortcut icon - I added a new key etc using Regedit and just prevented the blue shortcut arrow from appearing.
I now remember sharing that drive to another PC - forgot all about that.

Thanks again :)

Associate
Did the upgrade earlier. Had it stop the first time because of a driver conflict but got it sorted and got the upgrade done.

I saw a belter of a bug so far. My mic wasn't registering. I changed ports from front pannel to the audio card itself and it registered but wouldn't let me set the mic volume above 0%. Also the windows sound settings page was hanging like crazy and taking ages to respond to mouse clicks. I updated the control pannel for my audio card (the driver was already up to date) then reboot windows and that fixed it.

Also for those asking about performance drops. Most games i tested (doom eternal, cyberpunk) were the same as win 10, however destiny 2 is a different story. I was playing it earlier on win 10. I was running around the edz getting 90-120fps. Did the upgrade to win 11 now in the same area im getting 70-100fps. Roughly about a 20 fps drop. It is only with d2 ive seen this though so maybe the game isn't optimised for win 11 yet? Fyi this was after updating the gfx driver and making sure core isolation was turned off.

Soldato
I still don't understand why Microsoft have bothered with Windows 11 and the ridiculous requirements. It sounds like a mix of some of the worst aspects of Windows Vista and Windows 8. I'm avoiding it for now, but the only things that excites me are Auto HDR and the supposedly improved storage stack for Direct Storage. Windows 10 will be stuck with the legacy stack despite supporting Direct Storage too.

Last edited:
Soldato
So i looked at the windows 11 requirement and it says the only thing stopping me is CSM which i need to disable... im worried if i disable csm in bios i won't be able to boot into windows since its a MBR drive and not GPT. If i do disable CSM and it doesn't boot, can i go back into bios and turn it back on so i can boot again?

Had another weird moment where i need to turn on TPM (another requirement!) and the computer wouldn't boot! Kept power cycling till i left it for a good minute then it would power on properly!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Your drive needs to be GPT for all of those (except CPU) requirements to work properly. That would be why it wouldn't boot.

CSM is just a BIOS option, you can turn it off and on as many times as you like, no data is changed on the drive itself but once MBR is converted to GPT, CSM become useless as there's no legacy drive to boot off any more and you will be booting in UEFI if these necessary steps are followed.

Essentially:

An MBR drive PC won't boot if CSM is disabled.
A GPT drive PC won't boot if CSM is enabled.

Soldato
Your drive needs to be GPT for all of those (except CPU) requirements to work properly. That would be why it wouldn't boot.

CSM is just a BIOS option, you can turn it off and on as many times as you like, no data is changed on the drive itself but once MBR is converted to GPT, CSM become useless as there's no legacy drive to boot off any more and you will be booting in UEFI if these necessary steps are followed.

Essentially:

An MBR drive PC won't boot if CSM is disabled.
A GPT drive PC won't boot if CSM is enabled.
Seen some tools to convert mbr to gpt without data loss, any to recommend that you would say is reliable? Really cba to reinstall windows for the sake of trying out W11.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
All done using the in-situ upgrade. No issues and everything seems to be working perfectly! I think the system actually feels a little snappier too. All done inside 30mins! Just running a disk clean up now.

Same here. I can’t work out if it’s a placebo or not but it seems snappier to me too.

I’m probably the odd one out here but I actually quite like it so far. Someone posted a long list of its failings but I’ve yet to stumble across anything detrimental myself, though not to say I won’t at some point.

First impressions are very good.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Seen some tools to convert mbr to gpt without data loss, any to recommend that you would say is reliable? Really cba to reinstall windows for the sake of trying out W11.

No other tools are needed as Windows 10 has it built in. Handy guide here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

As with anything though just make sure you have recent backups. Nothing can go wrong with the process but you can never predict a power outage or rogue HW failure etc.

Associate
used upgrade utility . wouldn't go past 71%. installed again using administrator and its installed . working well until i started a Game up and all i got was sound stutter and game stuttering with the sound stutter. its a Realtek issue and no amount of googling and updating , uninstalling , updating the driver fixed the issue . tried for 3 hours. sound is very crackly and there is this odd on/off screen flicker on my monitor plugged into my laptop . Alienware Area 51M R2 . no driver updates via Alienware assist or on dell site .

I have now Rolled back until the sound issue is fixed . Roll back took 5 mins lol.

Associate
All good so far. OS seems slightly quicker at opening stuff than 10
Much more customisable too, plenty of themes in dark/light mode

Soldato
Did a fresh install of final build last night, along with office 2021. It's ok, still thought beta1 was the best.
Saw a small UI glitch, nothing major. Downloading of updates and store app updates took ages? To the point, I thought something had gone very wrong. Maybe MS servers underload.

Still bugs me that after uninstalling certain things, the store puts them back so you have to uninstall a second time lol....nope, I want them gone haha

Switching to chrome as the default browser is a pain in windows 11, unless I'm missing a trick? one click has suddenly turned into about ten

Not happy with right-click menu on desktop, I'll get used to it

Start menu is something I've always liked since beta1, maybe as I'm running ultrawide, but it just seems less hassle to use

Soldato
Is anyone else's audio super quiet when on full volume when using Airpods? It's definitely not the Airpods because when I connect to my work laptop on W10 they're fine, but on 11 on my Surface Laptop 3 they're very, very quiet

Back
Top Bottom