*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I had checked the change notes for that KB and it is only a security update from the MS page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...2000-376-868d2c2f-a201-456e-be42-d95c794bebf0

I did some tests anyway after the install:

Run 1
5DRwoGk.jpg

Run 2
ho0ZR8h.jpg

Run 3
tqlm1MO.jpg

Definitely not fixed as the write speeds are still up and down! That's n a Gen 3 NVMe 970 Evo Plus which has 3500MB/s read and 3300MB/s write spec.

Edit*
reading further, the update does add the performance fix for write speeds but only for storage drives. The new feature called NTFS Journal was on by default for all drives, so the fix simply turns it off for storage drives whilst keeping it on for the OS drive. The write speeds are still up and down for the OS drive as a result.

Last edited:
Associate
Conclusion: Windows 11 is an insufferable mess of non-removable bloat, unnavigable maze of nebulous "settings" and a waste of your time.

Run firmware update .exe ? Defender: Not allowed.
Associate jpg with infranview? Not allowed.
Run unassociated files with media player classic HC. Not allowed.

I just need a simple automation program to run the mouse and keyboard to install the chipset and USB drivers to get Windows 7 working again. Someone already has got an AMD USB driver to work but I suspect they had a PS/2 port, I don't.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's nowhere near as bad as ^ reads. For starters I have no problem running things or being blocked by Defender, I use MPC-HC/BE too and have video files defaulting to open with that. JPEG file associations can be changed simply by right clicking and choosing open with and ticking the box to always open with that program.

Sounds like you've got a base install with no user privilege configured for some reason or something along those lines.

For now the only issue I have which technically isn't really an issue is the slower SSD write speeds but a release phase fix is coming for that whilst currently there is a "fix" that sorts it for storage drives just not the OS drive.

Everything else I needed to find in settings etc I just start typing a bit of what I need in Start menu and it shows what I am looking for. For everything else I've retained my Windows 7/10 pinned shortcuts on the taskbar for years so no changes there for me in 11.

Soldato
Ive just done a clean install of win11 but now after installing the printer drivers, this message pops up everytime windows boots when the printer is turned off... Is there anyway to get rid of the message, its network connected ?
F8BQfhB.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Task Manager > Startup tab and disable whatever printer software is loading at startup and trying to connect to it. There is no reason to have printer software loading at startup as the status monitor loads on first print anyway for almost every printer.

Soldato
Task Manager > Startup tab and disable whatever printer software is loading at startup and trying to connect to it. There is no reason to have printer software loading at startup as the status monitor loads on first print anyway for almost every printer.

Disabling of the status monitor didnt stop it, so I search in the services and registry for the startup exe file for that message, but couldn't find that. Luckily the file wasn't a windows file and was a brother printer file. So I just renamed the exe file to stop the message from poping up, hopefully it wont stop the printer from working.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Those round borders are truly awful with square buttons. It's not even elegant round corners. Looks like they've been cut off too sharply. The more I see those round window frames the more it looks like a cheap hack from OS X.

Associate
Those round borders are truly awful with square buttons. It's not even elegant round corners. Looks like they've been cut off too sharply. The more I see those round window frames the more it looks like a cheap hack from OS X.

Some remind of Linux distros, but without the polish. But I’ll still move to 11 once Creative release their AE-5 drivers.

Associate
Just checked my CPU temps for the first time since upgrading and they’re surprisingly low. On W10 they would be about 37c Idle. Now they are about 32c. Which is excellent for a R5 3600.

Not sure if it’s down to the OS or not though.

Soldato
Just a heads up,, Im using a program called "Coffee_FF" that prevents windows sleeping if your uploading/downloading and it seems to work with windows 11.......

I really dont know why MS hasnt fixed this annoying problem, and I know you can just turn sleep off, but I use my pc as a media sever aswel and I want to save as much power as possible. I want the pc to sleep when there's no network activity and not have it on 24/7...... Surely its not just me with this annoying problem that MS has never fixed...
iRFAwjW.jpg

Underboss
Liking it so far, one minor annoyance is I can't move the task bar to the top of my second screen while having it at the bottom of my primary screen.

Anyone aware of a way/program that would allow me to retain the newer UI layout but have full control over the task bar placement?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Everything has been designed on 11 for the taskbar to be at the bottom, so even if you moved it to the top with StartAllBack etc then notifications and things will still appear at the bottom as those system items consider the taskbar being at the bottom.

I've gone the centralised bottom route now as used to be a left side taskbar user on Win10 but have accepted the change in 11:

Win11_Simple_StartAllBack_2021.12.16.jpg

Soldato
What do we think about the memory usage over 10?... I think win11 uses more as the memory has jumped from 3-4gb on windows 10 to 6-7gb with windows 11

Soldato
Everything has been designed on 11 for the taskbar to be at the bottom, so even if you moved it to the top with StartAllBack etc then notifications and things will still appear at the bottom as those system items consider the taskbar being at the bottom.

Just installed StartAllBack and notifications appear to be at the top of the screen along with my taskbar.

Man of Honour
Just installed StartAllBack and notifications appear to be at the top of the screen along with my taskbar.

This is one of the problems with 10/11 and needing 3rd party tools to fix so many things to how they should be - 3rd party tools might fix something at some point, only to be incompatible until updated with a later update, etc. one of the reasons I dislike 10 so much - I spent a lot of time on an older release getting everything how I needed it to be only for an update to break all that and it just isn't worth the time potentially having to redo it all every now and again with updates.

Microsoft developers need a good slapping around the head at the very least.

Soldato
This is one of the problems with 10/11 and needing 3rd party tools to fix so many things to how they should be - 3rd party tools might fix something at some point, only to be incompatible until updated with a later update, etc. one of the reasons I dislike 10 so much - I spent a lot of time on an older release getting everything how I needed it to be only for an update to break all that and it just isn't worth the time potentially having to redo it all every now and again with updates.

Microsoft developers need a good slapping around the head at the very least.

It's annoying and MS tend not to listen to anyone but their inhouse focus groups which are usually out of touch with the general market.

Man of Honour
It's annoying and MS tend not to listen to anyone but their inhouse focus groups which are usually out of touch with the general market.

Awhile back one of their "not-official" official community reps tried to get some surveys going of the problems most commonly complained about on the Microsoft Community "not-forums" - instead of listen to them they got removed from their position for it. **** Microsoft.

Man of Honour
Is anyone running Windows 11 ARM in Parallels on an Apple Silicone Mac? All of a sudden I am getting atrocious performance and I'm not sure why. I'm tempted to bin it and build a new one.

Associate

I've gone the centralised bottom route now as used to be a left side taskbar user on Win10 but have accepted the change in 11:

Win11_Simple_StartAllBack_2021.12.16.jpg
all that wasted taskbar space at the bottom is disgusting, what were they thinking

Back
Top Bottom