*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I tried it on my old laptop. Thus far I've only had one problem. The trackpad is too sensitive with the original driver. There seems no way of adjusting and they've not updated the driver in years. It installed and worked fine otherwise. The trackpad is a showstopper though.

There should be something in the registry to alter that but I wouldn't have a clue off the top of my head where and what.

Assuming same as 10 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/141385-adjust-touchpad-sensitivity-windows-10-a.html

Man of Honour
Rather a strange one and not strictly Windows 11 itself as this happened randomly on 10 from time to time too but sometimes the keyboard layout changes to US layout for the character keys, so for example above the right shift key @ is the top number row when SHIFT+2 - Aka USA layout, even though in Windows all regional and KB settings are set to English (UK) and there are no USA entries at all.

Very bizarre. Only a reboot seems to put the KB layout back to UK.

It's not the keyboard because I had a Logitech K780 on Windows 10 whereas now I have the MX Keys.

Not a huge issue, takes 10-15 seconds to reboot, just a quirk I've noticed that happens once in a while.

Man of Honour
Not simply a case of catching the keyboard shortcut, Start+Space? Otherwise try removing the US language if you don't need it.

:eek: It's been that all along?! I just pressed WIN+SPACE and saw ENG and QAA "Unknown locale" as selectable options so looks like at some point I may have pressed winkey+space at the same time resulting in QAA being selected. So that solves that mystery thanks!

Now question is wtf is QAA because in the language screens it isn't there, I only have English UK in all language screens so must be something somewhere else.

Edit*

Fixed it by resetting the display language using Powershell. Method 2 on this page if anyone else has this quirk: https://www.repairwin.com/remove-qaa-latn-unknown-locale-language-windows/

WINKEY+SPACE now no longer does nothing as there's only en-GB.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only had one issue, using Chrome, completely randomly clicking the last tab on the right gave me a black screen followed by a white screen, only way to fix was a reboot, as I say it was completely random and switching to Edge has fixed it.

Associate
A lot of that I agree with. I’m still using windows and daily thinking how?, why? , eh? Etc with some of the way it works and does things. I know they say they’ve done research, but I don’t believe them… and think they’ve just gone ‘this will be a good idea….’ And implemented it

Associate
I would seriously consider Linux day to day ( and do use it on a laptop ), but i like my Affinity Suite too much, and its not available for Linux which is a shame. I know the likes of GIMP and Inkscape are about which I've tried, but I just prefer Affinity.

Going back to windows, the more I look, the more I feel that its more new mess being created without fixing the mess and inconsistency from before. Ignoring what appears in a context menu for a second, but for me:

Right click on the desktop, I get the new menu style.
Right click on a desktop icon shortcut, new menu style.
Right click on Recycle bin on the desktop ... I get a rounded version of old menu style with different colour highlights that don't quite feel they are big enough to highlight the text properly.

Its noticeable and jarring and just makes me question what the thinking is behind it all. Things like the recycle bin are core functions of windows ... its context menu should be covered in the Windows 11 UI update process.

Permabanned
Are minor things like that really "jarring"?

My only issue at the moment is window switching is buggy at times. It's like it forces things on top sometimes and clicking the open icons on taskbar doesn't switch window.

When Windows 10 first released, the menus were inconsistent and probably some still are a little. However, Windows 10 evolved and the menus and other aspects were changed and/or newer versions were also made available to use. I suspect the same will be the case with 11. It will evolve and change over time and they probably will standardise the menu system. Right now, I quite like the new icons and start bar and menu system somewhat. I feel it is an improvement and I will stick with it. I'm still using 10 on my Work laptop and it isn't at all jarring going between them. Unlike 7 and 8 for example.

Man of Honour
My only gripe with 11 is the same as what I had with 10 and Vista. After all these years MS STILL have not fixed the bug where some folder views will reset themselves.

At the moment I am fighting with the Recycle Bin. I like to have its view set to grouped by location deleted, then all groups collapsed so I can expand only the group I want etc. I then have the sorting order to sort by last deleted first. Makes finding deleted items by location and time super quick and easy.

I could load the Bin 3 hours later and find the view has reset to list view or detailed view for example.

I've tried every "fix" on the internet but it still happens and plenty of other people have the same issue.

It is annoying!

Associate
Are minor things like that really "jarring"?

When I say jarring, I mean as in you notice it. It makes you pause and think "oh" for a fraction of a second, and to me the UI (certainly the core elements that MS provide out of the box) shouldn't be like that. That sort of pause momentarily breaks the UI consistency. If you're going to bring in new menus that's fine, users will muscle memory to them, their selection heights and acquisition accuracy of menu items ... so when you get hit with a different menu style of different heights, you're fighting against the muscle memory.

I actually like the new menus, and their fonts as well. Just this ever lasting inability to move old UI to new UI time and time again is disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom