*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I've got the win7 task manger on the "right click" so its nice and easy to access.. I have never really used the actual win10/11 task manager since moving to win10 about 5-6yrs ago as it just complicates things
JA6gXZo.jpg
curious what does it complicate? everything is is the same place & if you want core setup its just right click sort by cores

Windows-10-Enterprise-running-on-ARM-Snapdragon-820_task-manager-1-768x432.jpg

three-task-manager-features-microsoft-should-add-in-windows-10-19h1-524466-2.jpg

Soldato
ew, Edge.
doing some testing & need to test in all browsers, locally

although edge is far better than chrome from my few weeks of using it

* its on par with brave for blocking crap now has same standard/strict blocking popups etc
* far better at memory management than both brave/chrome/firefox few hours of netflix 900MB vs 1.6GB of other chrome/ firefox
* firefox latest update broke so much
* also now has blocking for JIT (java in time loading) so can be even more secure
* built in Coupon checking like honey with out extensions
* quicker engine updates over brave & other chrome versions (im on 99)

you really need to try browsers every so often before you go ew

V F

V F

Soldato
Not a fan myself - if they shrunk them to a smaller bit of the corner would look better and be nicer for layout.

Microsoft doesn't know what it wants to be. At least Apple has had the same UI since 2000 but refined elements on each OS.

Microsoft doesn't know what it wants, look at all the drastic overhaul of UIs that they've scrapped. This was one of the reasons I loved Stardock's Windowblinds back in its day before Microsoft locked a lot of things down.

Associate
Microsoft doesn't know what it wants to be. At least Apple has had the same UI since 2000 but refined elements on each OS.

Microsoft doesn't know what it wants, look at all the drastic overhaul of UIs that they've scrapped. This was one of the reasons I loved Stardock's Windowblinds back in its day before Microsoft locked a lot of things down.

I agree. The last few major releases has been "oh look, new UI design" ... when in reality they never really managed to complete the UI refresh from the time before. Its now such a mess.

Associate
Has anybody else had trouble installing the new KB5008353 update? Windows update gives an error when trying to install it (0x80073701). I've tried the usual troubleshooting and no joy. Can't seem to download from MS catalogue either so maybe they've pulled it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You could try installing it manually as a standalone: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5008353

Mine is installing now. That new KB also fixes the SSD performance and File Explorer issues people have had. SSD slow write speeds applies to me as my speeds can be halved in benches with Crystal and Magician for the write speed so it's installing now and I will test after a reboot.

https://www.ghacks.net/2022/01/26/windows-11-kb5008353/?amp

Edit*
Looks like write speed is back up to spec now:

Xr6lvUY.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Finally have update to Windows 11 available.... :eek:

Will wait until the weekend before trying though, fingers crossed there are no major issues.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You could try installing it manually as a standalone: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5008353

Mine is installing now. That new KB also fixes the SSD performance and File Explorer issues people have had. SSD slow write speeds applies to me as my speeds can be halved in benches with Crystal and Magician for the write speed so it's installing now and I will test after a reboot.

https://www.ghacks.net/2022/01/26/windows-11-kb5008353/?amp

Edit*
Looks like write speed is back up to spec now:

Xr6lvUY.jpg

Not sure if it was this update or the new 980 pro firmware but my random write IOPS are now back to where they should be at over 1mil.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I believe that would be the 980 FW as that was a known issue. My 970 Evo Plus' IOPS always were up to spec, it was just the write speed that was halved in most runs on Crystal but now seems to be fixed in the latest Windows Update.

The File Explorer being faster is also noticeable now which is a nice bonus.

Back
Top Bottom