*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Elon Musk just found out he can't install Windows 11 without MSA and is having none of it - Neowin

Twitter (now X) owner Elon Musk apparently bought a new laptop and was surprised, in a bad way, to find that he could not install Windows 11 on their new PC without an MSA. Needless to say, he did not appear too thrilled about it.
Just bought a new PC laptop and it won’t let me use it unless I create a Microsoft account, which also means giving their AI access to my computer! This is messed up.

There used to be an option to skip signing into or creating a Microsoft account.

Are you seeing this too?
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk)
February 25, 2024
Responding to one of the replies on the same thread, he labeled this particular requirement as "not cool":
This is not cool of Microsoft
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk)
February 25, 2024
Musk expressed his disapproval of this requirement via their official X handle stating that it gives Microsoft's AI (Copilot) access to user data.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Associate
Installing windows without logging won't stop the tracking and data collection properly anyway. Unless it's just Copilot he's concerned about, which I'm pretty sure you can disable through group policy.

Either way he'll probably install and use Google Chrome and think he's untraceable

Man of Honour
Installing windows without logging won't stop the tracking and data collection properly anyway. Unless it's just Copilot he's concerned about, which I'm pretty sure you can disable through group policy.

Either way he'll probably install and use Google Chrome and think he's untraceable
Exactly. I thought the same thing, why does he think not using a login will change anything? Sure, it might be a bit harder to user profile, but I'm sure they can already do that very effectively without your email address.

Soldato
I have seen that people add a fake IP in the host file with MS websites for the tracking.

It does not stop it calling out but with an invalid IP (0.0.0.0) it goes nowhere, unsure if it works but a video below.

Starts at 14:55, thought it would be worth a mention.

Last edited:
Soldato
unsure if it works but a video below.
It half works as many moons ago MS hardcoded some IPs in .dll files, the only real way to stop data going to MS is blocking it at the router.

TBH you're fighting a loosing battle if your trying to stop MS, or any company, from collecting data on you so i gave up on that idea ages ago. If privacy and what companies are doing with you data is your concern the best/easiest alternative is to reduce the amount of data they collect, make it less useful for them.

Man of Honour
Heads up, the new update to StartAllBack adds File Explorer tab drag and drop :cool:

D73iq9q.gif

Edit*
Seems MS added this feature in an update a while after the launch of tabbed file explorer for those not using StartAllBack!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Also noticed that CoPilot (WINKEY+C) has been reinstalled since patch Tuesday. Once again a quick command prompt entry removes it:

Code:
reg add HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot /v TurnOffWindowsCopilot /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Sign out then back in for the change to take effect.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The new update KB5035942 today lists one fix for USB audio that might be good for some users on USB DACs/Amps. In the past I did notice this bug where USB audio stops and only reconnecting the USB cable to my amp resumes audio. This should fix that:

This update addresses an issue that affects USB audio. It fails on some processors. This occurs after you pause, play, or resume from sleep.

Soldato
The new update KB5035942 today lists one fix for USB audio that might be good for some users on USB DACs/Amps. In the past I did notice this bug where USB audio stops and only reconnecting the USB cable to my amp resumes audio. This should fix that:

I might be suffering with this with my Steelseries thing, it goes outof sync every now and again and I have to unplug n reboot...

Man of Honour
So is Win11 worth using yet or is it best avoided and wait for Win12?

Personal preference to an extent. Personally I had to do significant tweaking (and there is the constant threat of future updates breaking that) to make it useable with stuff like stupid context menu changes, etc. the Start Menu is utterly stupid, etc. but compared to 10 it seems to hold together a bit better and less disruptive with more recent updates, though still far from ideal in that respect, but it is more edge cases now compared to 10.

I still fallback to 7 when I need a reliable OS to do any real productivity tasks on though...

Last edited:
Soldato

Its an OS, its not going to set the world alight or get you laid, and tbh, how often do you sit there and just sit in the OS, its games, or office stuff or web browsing, the OS makes very little difference so I don't get what all the fuss is about...

Man of Honour
Its an OS, its not going to set the world alight or get you laid, and tbh, how often do you sit there and just sit in the OS, its games, or office stuff or web browsing, the OS makes very little difference so I don't get what all the fuss is about...

If you are working with multiple applications you are engaging with the OS quite a lot - for example if I'm doing a bit of game modding I'll often have Visual Studio, various 3D modelling programs, a game level/world editor, possibly some sound editing software, image editing, etc. all running which often involves quite a bit of time doing stuff in File Explorer. If playing games you don't want the OS interrupting you one way or another due to getting busy in the background, notifications, updates, etc. etc.

Soldato
I find the OS is quite important. Trying using a computer without an OS then tell me how important it is...

Man of Honour
It's been worth it for a long time... Assuming your system has no underlying issues then Windows 11 is fully stable, fast, and just works exactly as intended.

There are issues with the way MS goes about doing things and workarounds you need to be aware of if those MS actions affect you (such as the craptacular start menu, or the way they randomly change things with updates and you have to faff about), but that's always been the case even since XP.

Soldato
Personally i wouldn't use 11 until they feature freeze it, probably when their attention turns to 12. Whether it's worth it really comes down to how comfortable you are with the potential for MS to make changes to the OS each month, how much potentially having new apps installed and settings changed bothers you.

That's not to say when they feature freeze previous version of Windows, like 10 is now, that they don't change/install things without telling anyone, just that major changes that interrupt their customers workflow are less common.

Back
Top Bottom