*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
24H2 is going to create a lot of unnecessary pc e-waste as well as WMR headset waste when that's removed too if people don't move to Linux at the end of next year when W10 ends.

My old laptop is still nippy but I imagine some people who haven't heard of Linux will either carry on with capable but then insecure machine or just go huh, must haz noo compoota.

Soldato
I've "downgraded" a couple of PCs from Windows 11 to Windows 10, and they'll not be going back.
Next Windows move for my work laptop is Mint. After spending the last week on an old Alienware laptop running the latest Ubuntu, all my work can be done without problem. Previously I'd had some wireless printing/bluetooth issues, which put a spanner in the works. Not anymore though!

Nagging to use a Microsoft account is just annoying. It frequently doesn't connect to their servers here, and you are absolutely boned if you make a change big enough to need it to verify. Found this out a little while back, but fortunately didn't have any data in the user folders.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It frequently doesn't connect to their servers here, and you are absolutely boned if you make a change big enough to need it to verify. Found this out a little while back, but fortunately didn't have any data in the user folders.

While a relatively rare one this is why I keep a local account on my Windows 11 systems as well as my MS account one and keep my data on a separate file structure.

There is some absolute bone headed, narrow vision, utterly stupid people working on Windows.

Soldato
Booted in to a PE USB and enabled the local admin to get me on to the PC. Normally I'd have just re-installed Windows, but it was just a quick desktop built for some LAN gaming that night.
If they could only make a lightweight OS that had no notifications, pre-installed trash, reminders, nags, etc... I'd happily give them good money for that.

Man of Honour
If they could only make a lightweight OS that had no notifications, pre-installed trash, reminders, nags, etc... I'd happily give them good money for that.

This is one of the things which annoys me - I don't care what they do with the home edition and/or some consumer edition if they made the professional edition actually useful in this way - I'm happy to pay extra for it personally.

The the OS's primary function is to enable the end user and everything else is secondary to that seems to elude far too many OS developers these days especially MS. End of the day it is their product and in that respect they can do what they like with it but given how they got to where they are and how much depends on the OS IMO they are beholden to do better.

Soldato
The the OS's primary function is to enable the end user and everything else is secondary to that seems to elude far too many OS developers these days especially MS.
I wouldn't blame the developers so much, at least not from what I've read over the years that's leaked out. It's more a management, company culture, thing.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't blame the developers so much, at least not from what I've read over the years that's leaked out. It's more a management, company culture, thing.

I was kind of including everyone/everything whose been involved in the direction it has taken when I say developers - managers, programmers, company culture whatever.

Back
Top Bottom