Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Soldato
I mixed it up, story missions, Nemesis stuff, collectable stuff.
Cleared some zones but not all.
I've been meaning to finish off the story this week and synced my save over to my laptop before i travelled with work, then they pushed that update and its taken 3 days to download while im in the desert with totally crap satellite internet. Should be done today though and i can give it some stick while im sat in my box surrounded by barbed wire.
Play anywhere games is such a good thing.

Soldato
What is the grind like on this? I have been reading progression is basically behind a pay wall unless you are willing to grind for untold hours doing very repetitive tasks. Have to say, if true, that level of grind is shocking in a AAA title. But perhaps the rabid internet reviewers are being unduly harsh?

What is the concensus of ocuk?

Soldato
The endgame grind in this game is shocking, it's really frustrating. I found the main story a bit weak in itself, it's too fragmented and none of the story threads are particularly compelling or interesting imo, plus the way most of the stories end feels unfinished, but the shadow war siege acts are even worse. Basically you have ten stages of sieges, which cover the same four fortresses. It might be more fun if it was ten different fortresses, but to have to defend the same four fortresses multiple times is very dull.

Also, because you've had to capture the four fortresses earlier in the game in order to complete the story and unlock the shadow war section, most of your own orcs are likely to be at a much lower level than you have since advanced to as the main character. I had orcs in some of the fortresses I had captured earlier in the game at level 25, when I'd hit level 45 as a character. What's frustrating about this is that the game sets the enemy attacking orcs in the sieges at your main characters level and even a three or four level difference between your own orcs and the enemy orcs can make defending a fort impossible. That means that not only do you have to defend fortresses so many times, before you can do that you have to spend a considerable amount of time recruiting new orcs at your own character level.

To me the endgame seems like a really cynical attempt to get more people to buy loot boxes, thereby instantly giving you epic and legendary orcs at your own character's level. Personally I'd avoid this game unless it's very cheap, and even then there are plenty of games out there that are better.

Soldato
Up till act 4 I really really enjoyed the game,
If you try and power through act 4 it becomes a grind cause its slow going, i can see the people saying its based on trying to get you to spend but i really haven't felt the need, I have however put it down for a few weeks at a time and I go back to it every now and then,
I don't feel the need to power through and almost feel like Act 4 is meant to add a level of replay-ability, the only problem is its not as fun as the 3 previous acts cause its all the same.

Im waiting on the story DLC mainly now and jumping back on after a bad day at work to take it out on some orcs. I havent bought a single box and im sat on 100k Miriam so doubt i will ever need to either.

Caporegime
I got bored of this pretty quickly, I absolutely loved the first game and only very recently played through the GOTY again so perhaps i'm just burnt out on the mechanics.

I'll probably go back to it at some stage, I got up to the point after the first siege.

Associate
I started this just before Christmas played for an hour or so , then left it till last night ,shouldn't have left it so long , i have no idea whats going on , i'm on level 4 now , got beat up by an orc last night and the screen took me to a castle/trophy thing with orcs standing on it and you can select them , but i have no idea what all that is about ?

Soldato
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition Announced for PS4, Xbox One, PC

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has announced Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. It will launch on August 28 in North America and August 31 in Europe for $59.99 / £49.99.

Here is an overview of the game:

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition is the most comprehensive version of last year’s epic, open world action game where players forge a new Ring of Power, conquer fortresses in massive battles and dominate Mordor with their own personal Orc army, all brought to life by the award-winning Nemesis System. Developed by Monolith Productions, Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition will include the main game packaged together with all downloadable content (DLC), free updates, and improvements.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition will feature the main game, along with the full Expansion Pass, including additional story campaigns, missions, playable characters, Orc tribes, weapons, abilities, enemies, a new region and much more.

• Middle-earth: Shadow of War Main Game
  • Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
  • Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
  • Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
  • Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
Additionally, Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition will bring together a multitude of different enhancements and free content updates, from a richer campaign experience and streamlined post-game Epilogue to new player skins and the complete removal of the market, in addition to hundreds of other improvements since the release of Middle-earth: Shadow of War. A snapshot of the updates available for players includes:

• Market Closure: Complete removal of the market and microtransactions.
  • Updated Post-Game: Streamlined post-game Epilogue (formerly Shadow Wars) with new narration from Shelob, the Witch-king and Dark Talion, plus new Masks of the Nazgûl player rewards.
  • Nemesis System Enhancements: Numerous improvements bringing further depth to combat encounters and player interactions, along with added traits and behaviours for Orc enemies, more Legendary Orcs to encounter and more ways to get Training Orders.
  • Powering Up: Follower level cap has been increased to 80, enemy Captain level cap has been increased to 85, greater XP rewards, new Prestige skills, upgrades and more.
  • Gear Upgrades: Players can now use Mirian to raise the level of a piece of gear to their current level and use gems to re-roll abilities.
  • Skins: Added player skins for Celebrimbor, Eltariel, Dark Eltariel, Baranor and Serka.
  • Online Pit Fights & Conquests: Added search feature to challenge specific players’ Overlords and fortresses in Friendly Mode.
  • Endless Siege: Added feature to defend fortresses against never-ending waves of Sauron’s forces.
  • Rebellion: Added feature to crush rebel Ologs and Uruks who undermine the Bright Lord.
  • Photo Mode Upgrades: Capture every battle with new filters, frames and textures
  • Difficulty Levels: Added Brutal and Gravewalker difficulty levels.
  • Player Stats: Added player stats page to track in-game enemy kills, dominations and betrayals.
Please note that content beyond the main game is not pre-loaded on disc and requires an online connection to download.

Back
Top Bottom