Midweek Football Thread

Soldato
My biggest worry is Gibbs playing behind Arshavin, people have been complaining at Clichy for ages, not realising that Arshavin gives him absolutely no protection at all, Clichy can usually handle this but Gibbs might struggle

Also, well happy about Almunia, felt 10x safer with him between the sticks. He might not do the spectacular that often but he doesn't have that many howlers like Mannone already had with only a few games

Caporegime
Its Diaby who offers no protection, we're begging Arshavin to go forwards, he gave more protection from right wing last year and got back more, but he's not the fastest or biggest and we're starting him from a more advanced position. Diaby is supposed to stay deeper and being the left side of midfield he should be doing far more. His lazy attempts to cover are apathetic at best, jog towards a player, stop 5 yards away, rarely bother running down and he doesn't track most runs into the box.

He's a damn liability, Clichy against the right winger does ok, when the right back gets involved and they play the overlap the lack of cover is incredibly obvious. Arshavin does get back quite often, but as said he's not the fastest, nor best tackler in the world nor should he be. When he's caught high up the pitch, where he should be Diaby is just no help at all. If we played a 4-4-2 and Clichy was up against 2/3 players, Flamini/Gilberto/Vieira would be over there helping, and helping well.

We "should" be a bit more clinical just because the players should be angry about the last game, depends how AK come to play though, they aren't nearly as bad as everyone assumed and they really can only play like theres nothing to lose, which might just play into our hands or cause us problems. I'd prefer to see almost any outfield player out there instead of Diaby tonight but I can't see it. Rosicky/Nasri need some more appearances and match fitness and this is as good a time as any.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Arshavin's a player who looks like he's running just above the grass when he's got the ball. He almost glides across the field. Great footballer, one of Arsenals best players.

Gibbs has a long way to go before any Arsenal fan should feel comfortable having him in the starting team.

Soldato
I don't think he's that far away, barring his first few PL games where he looked a little nervous he's been solid all the time (besides the Man Utd slip, but it should be forgotten about since he played well after the slip). I can see him being a genuine contender for first choice LB next season

Soldato
Not so sure I'd rate Arshavin as "one of our best" players at the moment, given his desperately average form this season* is beginning to balance out his fantastic performances in the latter half of the last one. I'd have Fabregas, RvP, (a fully fit) Rosicky, and possibly Vermaelen on the team sheet before him.

*No, this isn't Diaby's fault DM. Give that track a rest.

Soldato
I'd add Gallas and Song too, it feels odd to say Song is more important than Arsh .. But hey, judging Arsh on his own merits this season I'd say he's been one of the worst performers for sure, that doesn't mean that I don't want him at Arsenal for life because I do

Caporegime
Worried about our loss of Clichy...Gibbs is ok but i have a feeling that hes going to be severely tested tonight...

Hoping that he has a decent solid game as we are without Clichy for a month or maybe more due to the stress fracture in his lower back....

Still hoping that Arsenal spank AZ pretty badly though...hoping they put that awful draw a few weeks ago behind them.

The Barca game is pretty interesting though...the pitch just doesnt suit Barcas flowing passing style:(...which is a shame as i like the way Barca pass the ball around...still 0-0 although Ibrahimovic should have scored within the first few mins of the 1st half but ended up hitting the side post. But still doing a decent job of making the ball work even tho its sub zero weather there in good ole Russia:p.

Soldato
I thought Gibbs played pretty well the last few times for us, im not as worried about him standing in as i would have been at the start of last season. Should be comfortable tonight really.

Soldato
I'd add Gallas and Song too, it feels odd to say Song is more important than Arsh .. But hey, judging Arsh on his own merits this season I'd say he's been one of the worst performers for sure, that doesn't mean that I don't want him at Arsenal for life because I do

Oooo you mentioned Song in a positive way :D Dont let DM hear you or he will go off his rocker.

I see DM has copied and pasted his usual post into the thread. I do like how you have edited it to not include Denilson whilst he is out injured, i remember when you slipped up and bad mouthed him and he wasnt even playing the other month. Careful with that copy and paste. ;)

Personally I feel quite reasurred with Gibbs in the team. Its much better than putting in the midfielders like we used to do (apart from flammini who did a good job there at times).

I am also pleased for RVP, I have been so hoping he would get a few goals as I think he will go from strength to strength if he can avoid injury (jinx :rolleyes: )

I still like Arshavin because even if he does look lazy at times he is still one of our most positive threats. I wish he would take Walcott under his wing and teach him about running at players more.

Caporegime
lol at Barca coming away with a draw and a defeat against the minnows :D I'd never even heard of them before this campaign.

They played really well on the counter and they should have scored at least two goals in the second half! Barca kept taking long potshots, they should have just worked it around the box and tried to pull some defenders out of posish. Hopefully in about half an hour or so I should be able to sarcastically sing 'Boring, Boring, Arsenaaal' :D

Soldato
Arsenal: Almunia; Eboue, Gallas, Vermaelen, Gibbs; Song Billong, Diaby, Fabregas; Nasri, van Persie, Arshavin.
Subs: Mannone, Sagna, Senderos, Rosicky, Eduardo, Ramsey, Silvestre.

Nasri up front. Sexy. Good luck to him.

Back
Top Bottom