Midweek Football Thread

Soldato
LOL @ Liverpool, lucky they got away with a draw from what i saw of the match in between watching the Arsenal game

I'd be interested in knowing what bits of the match you saw then. Lyon had two chances all game, while Liverpool should have scored 3 or 4.

I'm not moaning or saying that we were unlucky; as Andy Townsend said in a bizarrely rare moment of insight, we needed to win tonight and didn't, and that's the fact of the matter. However, I think that anyone who saw the full match would struggle to say that we were lucky to come away with a draw. We were all over them for the entire match.

djmc0 said:
Arsenal fans have never called for Arsene Wengers head as the Liverpool supporters have with Benitez.

True, but Wenger has never blown as much money as Benitez on poor players and then had such an abysmal season. We're nearly a third of the way through the season, and at this rate will struggle to qualify for next years Champions League, and are going out of it at the first hurdle for the first time in an awfully long time. I have a lot of respect for the way that Arsenal is run as a club but, like I say, I think that any manager who has had as long at a club, bought as many players, and spent as much money as Benitez has, would be in severe trouble.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't believe that liverpool now need to win both games and hope that Fiorntina to slip up? Craziness

For a club of Liverpools stature?

Soldato
I'm saying why should he be, considering he brought in the worlds most coveted club trophy, and that Wenger hasn't? And no Arsenal supporters do not call for his head.

I'm confused, are you saying that Benitez should or shouldn't be sacked?

He brought us the Champions League almost four years ago, and we have won very little since then (only one FA Cup if I remember correctly). For what he's spent, and considering our plight this season, how should he still be in a job?

Yeah he started tonight. He didn't start against Fulham.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8330334.stm

Yes he did, was subbed off for Ecclestone in the 78th minute.

Last edited:
Associate
It does look rough in Liverpool tongiht, and the reason I am being so harsh is because I've had a soft spot for them ever since Michael Thomas. Well, let just say that both the football supporters, and the football media suffer from storm in a teacup syndrome. There is no way Benitez should get the sack. But No doubt he will if Liverpool either a)lose the next two games in the premier league, or b)fail to qualify for the last 16 in the CL. I don't agree with it, and in fact you may not be able to afford it. But he should be given this season to prove himself. Arsenal fans have never called for Arsene Wengers head as the Liverpool supporters have with Benitez.

You sir listen to the media too much. The true liverpool fans know what is going on with our club and do not call for his head, they are behind him 100%. Seems like the Liverpool fans that you know are the armchair type who are easily persuaded by the constant media sensationalist rubbish at the moment.

Soldato
I'm confused, are you saying that Benitez should or shouldn't be sacked?

He brought us the Champions League almost four years ago, and we have won very little since then (only one FA Cup if I remember correctly). For what he's spent, and considering our plight this season, how should he still be in a job?

You shoudln't be. I have stated that Benitez HAS brought you the worlds most coveted club cup.

Arsene Wenger hasn't won a thing in 5 seasons, and my point was the difference in the the Liverpool supporters and the Arsenal Suppoters, as we have not called for Arsene Wengers head by and large. What don't you understand?

Soldato
You sir listen to the media too much. The true liverpool fans know what is going on with our club and do not call for his head, they are behind him 100%. Seems like the Liverpool fans that you know are the armchair type who are easily persuaded by the constant media sensationalist rubbish at the moment.

No. I'm tired of making the same point again and again. Read the history of the thread or don't. Do not accuse me of listening to media 'to much' Thank you please.

Associate
No. I'm tired of making the same point again and again. Read the history of the thread or don't. Do not accuse me of listening to media 'to much' Thank you please.

I gonna be controversial then, most Liverpool fans on here fall into the category that I mention and basically haven't got a clue.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Liverpool are most likely out of the cl then. They are too far behind in the premier league so all they could win this year is the fa cup. And it's just the beginning of november...

Maybe it is time for benitez to go.

Soldato
You shoudln't be. I have stated that Benitez HAS brought you the worlds most coveted club cup.

Arsene Wenger hasn't won a thing in 5 seasons, and my point was the difference in the the Liverpool supporters and the Arsenal Suppoters, as we have not called for Arsene Wengers head by and large. What don't you understand?

What I was confused about was when you said "I'm saying why should he be...", implying to me that you believed that he should be sacked, which appeared inconsistent with the rest of your views. Thank you for clarifying.

When was the last time that Wenger won one game in eight? When were Arsenal last outside the top 6 in the league? When were Arsenal last reduced to using players of the quality of Voronin?

Wenger is kept on as he is special. He plays fantastic football, spends little money, has built a reasonably deep squad, and you can see it growing match by match. What Wenger is building is visible and clear, and his decisions have a clear, logical end.

If Benitez had the same clear end goal I would have more patience, but he doesn't. I don't know what type of football he wants his team to play, I don't know what he's doing in the transfer market, I don't understand his team selection and substitutions, I don't know why we have no decent reserve players. None of the above is building towards an end. This is the problem that I have with Benitez. If we were languishing in the league and on the verge of going out of the Champions League, but he was clearly on his way to building something special, I would be fine with him being at Liverpool. I thought that he was managing this after last season, but then he alienated and sold our most impressive player of the campaign, tried to refashion the side by pushing the full backs further on, and everything has fallen apart.

EDIT: I'd be interested in knowing why you're so behind Rafa, Yozz? I'm all for supporting managers, but there has to come a time when enough is enough. If we finish the season 6th, having gone out of the CL early and without a cup to our name, will it be time for him to go then? If so, why not get rid of him now and give somebody the January transfer windows to start rebuilding. If not, then I would question the policy of running a football club on blind faith.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really is disgraceful.

reports coming in it all came from a couple of stewards spraying tear gas into the crowd before trouble flaired and a steward punchine a supporter in the face. who dared to ask why it was sprayed. doesnt justify thereaction but there was provokation this time

Soldato
What I was confused about was when you said "I'm saying why should he be...", implying to me that you believed that he should be sacked, which appeared inconsistent with the rest of your views. Thank you for clarifying.

When was the last time that Wenger won one game in eight? When were Arsenal last outside the top 6 in the league? When were Arsenal last reduced to using players of the quality of Voronin?

Wenger is kept on as he is special. He plays fantastic football, spends little money, has built a reasonably deep squad, and you can see it growing match by match. What Wenger is building is visible and clear, and his decisions have a clear, logical end.

If Benitez had the same clear end goal I would have more patience, but he doesn't. I don't know what type of football he wants his team to play, I don't know what he's doing in the transfer market, I don't understand his team selection and substitutions, I don't know why we have no decent reserve players. None of the above is building towards an end. This is the problem that I have with Benitez. If we were languishing in the league and on the verge of going out of the Champions League, but he was clearly on his way to building something special, I would be fine with him being at Liverpool. I thought that he was managing this after last season, but then he alienated and sold our most impressive player of the campaign, tried to refashion the side by pushing the full backs further on, and everything has fallen apart.

Ok, you have made very good points. Points I agree totally with, but if you talk about silverware won in the last 5 years (and not just this season, as you seem to have focuses on) there is match.

Back
Top Bottom