MIG-29 OVT - My favourite jet fighter. What's yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
/Slightly OT

Was anybody at the Farnborough show on the last sunday (23rd Jul)?

If you were there early enough did anybody notice any bands rehearsing in the field closest to the road, and over the road in military rugby ground?

And back OT, I saw the Airbus in all its glory, and holy **** it's big :p

t3h :cool:

Man of Honour
Lopéz said:
How much does the F22 sell for again?

$96 million each...

Ouch.

Lots of props and mudmovers in this thread about Jet Fighters

For me..

English Electric Lightning is one of if not the best.

Why can't we fly them privately? They're nuclear capable aircraft and better than out current 'fighters' *fighters? It's a mudmover with a bigger radar...bloody Tonkas*

The reason we have the Lightning is superb. :D English Electric designed a bomber for the RAF - they didn't want to take it as it was faster and more capable than their fighters at the time. So English Electric turned around and said "well..we've got a fighter design as well..." and that was the Lightnings start...

The Bomber responsible? The Canberra.

Modern aircraft - I'd take a Su 37 over anything the Americans have to offer.

Hell - I'd take a Saab Grippen or Mig29OVT over Eurofighter.

Feats of engineering wise...

The Harrier is technically superb *although flawed* and still one of my favourite aircraft.

That is pipped by the Mig-25 - Not designed to go over mach 2.5, Mach meter went up to 2.8 - one was measured doing Mach 3.2 :eek: Needed an engine change afterwards though. Fabulous thing.

However - the TSR2 is one of the biggest mistakes this country has ever made... well..cancelling it was. :( Technology that was developed for the TSR2 is still in use today in the Tonka.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
I posted earlier suggesting the F15, but in terms of experimental aircraft there is Boeing's 'Bird of Prey'.

Fully funded by Boeing, the Bird of Prey project costs $67 million. A subsonic, single-seat technology demonstrator, the aircraft completed 38 test flights as part of its flight-demonstration program. Its first flight took place in fall 1996. Bird of Prey has a wingspan of approximately 23 feet and a length of 47 feet, and weighs nearly 7,400 pounds. Powered by a Pratt & Whitney JT15D-5C turbofan engine*, the Bird of Prey has an operational speed of 260 knots and a maximum operating altitude of 20,000 feet.

xbirdprey.jpg

* not quite a jet but pretty awesome to behold

Last edited:
Soldato
-Neil- said:
It's a Saab Draken :cool:

Neil.

Featuring in the video game, Ace Combat 2. :p

I liked the F-104 Strafighter, which i think no one has mentioned yet, its now out of comission, though :( It also featured some cool nicknames according to wikipedia, such as The missile with a man in it. Or The flying coffin lol.

f104.gif

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Skii said:
Just some of the better photos from Farnborough I took
F-18.jpg
Apparently that Super Hornet is pretty much brand spanking new.

The Eurofighter left me cold in all honesty. F/A-18, MIG-29 and Gripen all outflew it from what I could see. Sounded good though.

Soldato
-Tauren- said:
Featuring in the video game, Ace Combat 2. :p

I liked the F-104 Strafighter, which i think no one has mentioned yet, its now out of comission, though :( It also featured some cool nicknames according to wikipedia, such as The missile with a man in it. Or The flying coffin lol.

f104.gif

I mentioned it on the first page. :p Great plane though, function over form, love the simple shape. :cool:
Circa 1958/9 I believe - how many things from the fifties still look that good?

Soldato
D4VE said:
I mentioned it on the first page. :p Great plane though, function over form, love the simple shape. :cool:
Circa 1958/9 I believe - how many things from the fifties still look that good?

None of the actresses thats for sure :D lol. But seriously. It's an awesome plane, even if it is old technology. I'd still love to have a go in one. Although it begs the question, because of its shape does it really handle like a pig?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm astounded at the number of people who don't understand the question here.
After all, most 1940 aircraft did NOT have jet engines.
The SR71 was a recon aircraft, and the B2, B52, Victor were all BOMBERS.

As for my own thoughts.
The F16 has got to be one of the best looking aircraft of all time, reminds me of a Ferrari 275.
I still hold a massive soft spot for the old Lightning, which I believe is still the fastest fighter that has served within western nations.
The F15 is apparently one of the most useful fighter/bombers ever. I'm sure I read that none have ever been shot down in combat, pretty awesome bearing in mind it's age.
Don't know much about the new stuff, but clearly aircraft like the F22 are pretty awesome.

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
I'm astounded at the number of people who don't understand the question here.
After all, most 1940 aircraft did NOT have jet engines.
The SR71 was a recon aircraft, and the B2, B52, Victor were all BOMBERS.

As for my own thoughts.
The F16 has got to be one of the best looking aircraft of all time, reminds me of a Ferrari 275.
I still hold a massive soft spot for the old Lightning, which I believe is still the fastest fighter that has served within western nations.
The F15 is apparently one of the most useful fighter/bombers ever. I'm sure I read that none have ever been shot down in combat, pretty awesome bearing in mind it's age.
Don't know much about the new stuff, but clearly aircraft like the F22 are pretty awesome.

At least one F15E was shotdown during desert storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom