Migrating a WordPress site

Caporegime
Change the site URL in your WordPress control panel to something else, then change it back. That should update all the links.

Associate
OP
Download the stable version of this -> https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

Upload it to your web server and extract it.

Navigate to this folder in your browser. from there just enter www.original-address.com in the replace field and www.new-address.com in the with field.

Click live run and then check your links. If its worked delete the utility.

That should be it mate, if you get stuck, let me know :)

Running this sorted it out, thanks a lot mate :D

Associate
Glad it worked mate, far less hassle using that tool than anything else.

Basically anything in wp_posts / post_meta with your site url in (think posts with images etc) won't get updated if you just change the options table.

Associate
and this why you use the Duplicator plugin

I've used the duplicator plugin and it isn't 100%, caused me some issues the last time I used it. Using the process I put in my post(s) above is simple and is 100% effective. Apart from download and uploads it takes about 5 minutes of manual intervention.

Tried the Duplicator plugin and didn't work for me, glad I did it manually as I learnt something and was good to get stuck in :)

This tbh! I tend to pick up 1 of these jobs off Elance every few months, simple migrations are easy money :)

Associate
Have you reported the issues with Duplicator to the author ?

I have moved dozens of sites with it and never had an issue

Associate
Have you reported the issues with Duplicator to the author ?

I have moved dozens of sites with it and never had an issue

It's been a while since I last used it, might have been me, may have been the plugin, could have been the site. I prefer the "manual" method I use, it's quick, reliable and simple.

Back
Top Bottom