Mindless youth of today

Permabanned
Those were the days when motor sport was dangerous, the crowds were like those in a Roman amphitheatre, but sex was safe. The converse now rules, but back to the topic, I would chain the ********* to a main line rail track and await the (almost certainly late) express. Model railway building, like one of my hobbies, amateur radio, is innocuous and the playground of nice old gentlemen :) I am beginning to look at Middle Eastern laws with a fresh appetite, to be frank. Quite appalling, callous and needless. I could hurt the perpetrators very badly, yet sleep well the same night.

Soldato
Sounds proper "old man ranting" here but, I'm so glad I grew up in the 80's and 90's. No phones ruining the self esteem, no whoring yourself on social media for likes to make you feel your life has value, you had fun with real people and life was easier. We're the last generation to have "kid freedom" with the advent of everyday internet, mobile phones and social media, we had freedom from phones and an ability to think for ourselves without being tethered to a mobile phone as a "life crutch"

I pity kids these days.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s as well and have seen loads of vandalism in that time, this is nothing new. Mobiles and the internet have caused lots of problems, but on the flip side, without the internet/phones, I doubt the public would have been able to come together and raise over £60k to soften the blow.

Caporegime
The donations whiff a bit of publicity opportunism but at least it will help replace the trains etc, isn't the point though the amount of time and effort that had gone into crafting it all? it must be heartbreaking.

Man of Honour
Sounds proper "old man ranting" here but, I'm so glad I grew up in the 80's and 90's. No phones ruining the self esteem, no whoring yourself on social media for likes to make you feel your life has value, you had fun with real people and life was easier. We're the last generation to have "kid freedom" with the advent of everyday internet, mobile phones and social media, we had freedom from phones and an ability to think for ourselves without being tethered to a mobile phone as a "life crutch"

I pity kids these days.

The problem in your post isn't down to mobile phones and social media but poor parenting IMO possibly not helped by how many parents have to both work long hours (in some cases to afford a certain level of lifestyle but more often just to stay afloat with things like rent).

Permabanned
There's good eggs and bad eggs.
Simple.
Nothing to do with kids are worse now than then or other mass generalised cliché.

I had great parents but I was a ****. I was at children's panel for various stuff. My dad beat me, my dad treated me with kid gloves, my dad tried reasoning with me, my dad tried the ignore me and let me stew in my own juice approach, as did my mum, except the beating. My mum took time off work to ensure I was going to school, drop me off, pick me up, make sure I was at home and not out abusing solvents, getting drunk and stoned, breaking into buildings to vandalise them. My parents were at a loss. They were good responsible parents, decent jobs and law abiding. No amount of parenting stopped me being a ****, a bad egg.
It was no different then in the early eighties to any other time. It simply took time for me to grow up and grow a sense of responsibility.

Really pees me off hearing lazy it's all kids today and bad parenting crap. BS. Good eggs bad eggs, always been same always will be

Soldato
Behaviour needs to be linked to instant deductions in benefits or pay for the parents. Normal schools are now full of scary aggressive kids with massive problems/issues, made worse by a complete lack of parenting.

There needs to be a feedback circle of improvement.

Soldato
Born in 84 so my childhood was early 90s. There were a few bad eggs that were always into trouble but as a group of friends mostly into football, we just avoided them like the plague. I would play football literally every day. We used to sneak onto a AstroTurf pitch that was run by Edinburgh Leisure. Far to young and expensive to pay for the amount we used it. However we never vandalised the place. Just wanted a game of football using a proper set of goals and a good pitch. During the evening when the pitches would be booked out by paying customers. We would move on. Never gave them cheek or anything like that. I remember we would spend some time climbing on a local School roof but again this wasn't to vandalise the place. Wold just hang out when bored and it was fun climbing on stuff.

I definitely had a fear of knowing if I really did anything nasty the hammering I would get from my Dad wasn't worth it.

Soldato
Behaviour needs to be linked to instant deductions in benefits or pay for the parents. Normal schools are now full of scary aggressive kids with massive problems/issues, made worse by a complete lack of parenting.

There needs to be a feedback circle of improvement.

One of the biggest issues i've seen from working in a School is the amount of students arriving to High School from Primary School but they are no-where near ready for the transition. Without joking, kids turning up at High School unable to read / write / perform simple arithmetic. These kids should have been held back and made to repeat their final year of primary School. The pace of a high School moves so quickly. You go from having one teacher to having multiple teachers, with a range of subjects. Kids that are struggling with the basics start acting up because they are embarrassed at not being able to read/write. So they get thrown out of class and then the hole gets deeper and they fall further and further behind. Not to mention every School is having to deal with huge cuts to additional support needs and it becomes very clear just how bad the situation us.

Soldato
One of the biggest issues i've seen from working in a School is the amount of students arriving to High School from Primary School but they are no-where near ready for the transition. Without joking, kids turning up at High School unable to read / write / perform simple arithmetic. These kids should have been held back and made to repeat their final year of primary School. The pace of a high School moves so quickly. You go from having one teacher to having multiple teachers, with a range of subjects. Kids that are struggling with the basics start acting up because they are embarrassed at not being able to read/write. So they get thrown out of class and then the hole gets deeper and they fall further and further behind. Not to mention every School is having to deal with huge cuts to additional support needs and it becomes very clear just how bad the situation us.

Yes I agree, and that stems from a total lack of interest and support shown at home(what ever form that takes). One time I was walking past an after school maths support class, and teacher was saying to girl who was maybe around 11 or 12. Come on now, you can do this, what is 1+1?

Soldato
The problem in your post isn't down to mobile phones and social media but poor parenting IMO possibly not helped by how many parents have to both work long hours (in some cases to afford a certain level of lifestyle but more often just to stay afloat with things like rent).

Nope, have to disagree. I work in a university and see first hand the dependency that youngsters have on their phones. The ability to think and retain information has lessened due to over-reliance on phones for everything. Even had a student say to me "why do I need to know how long to boil an egg for when I can just google it" her words....

ok not everyone eats eggs (long story but was a conversation I had with her and 2 friends) but the fact a simple task that you'd remember as a basic life skill, was relegated to "I'll just use google" God help them if they have no phone nor internet, they'd starve :p

Mobile phones have helped us yes, but they also are a hinderance for social development in todays youth.

Parenting has a large say yes, but these kids are "grown up" and so reliant on their phones for social interaction that it's out of parents hands.

Permabanned
Over 15 years of working in a school...
Not documentary, purely subjective. 5yrs working in a school here, carries no more weight than anyone else's opinion.
Also have experience of detached youth work, dealing directly with social misbehaving and providing alternatives to kids getting into trouble. Still carries no more weight than an opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom