Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Soldato
So just took delivery of this monitor and everything seems all good except for one small issue, I think the screen is ever so slightly zoomed in even though set to PC.
Basically I couldn't see the bottom of the task bar.
I went into nvidia control panel and adjusted the screen size to 3802 x 2136 and now it looks a bit better.
Did everyone else have to do this or have i missed a setting somewhere? On the pictures in this thread it seems some people have to issue and some don't.

Cheers
J

Thats windows 10 (i'm assuming that you are using that). It defaults the desktop scaling to 200% :p
Right click on the desktop and select 'Display Settings' from the menu. Then look at the scaling slider. I use 125-150% depending on my preference.

Associate
Thats windows 10 (i'm assuming that you are using that). It defaults the desktop scaling to 200% :p
Right click on the desktop and select 'Display Settings' from the menu. Then look at the scaling slider. I use 125-150% depending on my preference.

Its not that - changing the scaler has no effect on seeing the bottom of the screen.
I can't see the light coloured underlines under the open apps on the task bar - they are not visible.
So currently I'm running at 3840 x 2150 (not 2160) and I can see the underlines.
I'm thinking its some overscan issue between the GTX 1080 and the TV.

J

Associate
I'm probably being stupid here (as usual!) but could anyone help me out please. Really tempted to pick up this and use as my monitor to replace a Korean 27" one I've been using for ages but am unsure as to how easy it would be to switch between resolutions for gaming?

I have a GTX1070 in my PC and would like to use this on my desktop at 4k but switch to 1080p for gaming, to help me out frame-rate wise.

Would that simply be a case of changing the setting in the games themselves to 1080p and it'd still look grand - or would the whole PC's output need changing to 1080p before starting the game?

Thanks for any help folks :)

Soldato
I'm probably being stupid here (as usual!) but could anyone help me out please. Really tempted to pick up this and use as my monitor to replace a Korean 27" one I've been using for ages but am unsure as to how easy it would be to switch between resolutions for gaming?

I have a GTX1070 in my PC and would like to use this on my desktop at 4k but switch to 1080p for gaming, to help me out frame-rate wise.

Would that simply be a case of changing the setting in the games themselves to 1080p and it'd still look grand - or would the whole PC's output need changing to 1080p before starting the game?

You should just be able to change res in game and framerate will scale accordingly

The only thing I cant comment on is using this at 1080p that close, Im not sure it would look that great close up

Associate

Mine has arrived and its a great screen! Yes it is just a case of changing the game resolution within the game settings menu.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have this screen switch off like a monitor does when shutting the PC down or placing it in standby? It is a little bit annoying having to switch the screen off manually with the remote after use. But not the end of the world if that is the case.

Associate
I will give it a go tonight when home:). In theory the pixels should just be 4x bigger so just not as sharp? But I haven't tried yet so I will let you know :)

Associate

As promised I said I would report back. Just for background info the specs of my system are:-

intel 6700k
32GB ddr 4 ram
nvidia 1080 gpu

I am able to run battelfield 4 and battlefield 1 at high settings with the native resolution and it is smooth. It feels no different from my previous monitor which I ran at ultra settings at 2560 x 1440. The graphics quality also doesnt look too far off from the previous ultra quality in most games.

I have run battlefield 1 and CS GO at 1080p on this screen and I have to report that it doesnt look too bad. Games dont look too sharp but do look acceptable. I could happily game at this resolution if I had to. But luckily the graphics card is coping fine at 4k.

4K looks brilliant and everything is mega sharp! The colour and brightness quality of this display is easily on par with my old Hazro monitor. Just 4k and 40 inches big instead. I heavily recommend that when you set it up you disable the eco options for the backlight. The screen changes the backlighting based on the ambient light levels. This feature is called 'eco sensor'. I noticed in game and on desktop that colours and contrast were changing on the fly but I disabled eco sonsor and problem solved.

The reason I bought this screen was for productivity reasons more than gaming and I am glad to report the difference in resolution is profound! After just a day I am used to the extra screen estate. I recommend display fusion to control open windows, etc. The extra hight has made a massive difference for excel use and I can see a lot more rows and manage a lot more windows of work open at the same time.

I also used some of the settings recommended on the second page of this thread for the picture settings. Only downside to this screen is the fact it doesnt switch off when I shutdown my PC. You have to manually do this via the remote or power button on the screen. But that is a small price to pay for a great screen.

Overall I can recommend this to those looking for a large 4k screen on a budget. It is great for both gaming and productivity.

Associate
im very interested in purchasing this TV, I hardly play games anymore, only diablo 3, and sim type games.

can anyone still recommend this, those who have owed it for a few months? any regrets?

Soldato
Based on the comments in this thread I'm thinking of buying the Samsung 40KU6400 too. I currently have a GTX650 in my machine, would this be adequate or would I need to upgrade to something a bit newer? (I don't play any games at all, just web browse, watch YouTube, use office apps etc)

Soldato
Based on the comments in this thread I'm thinking of buying the Samsung 40KU6400 too. I currently have a GTX650 in my machine, would this be adequate or would I need to upgrade to something a bit newer? (I don't play any games at all, just web browse, watch YouTube, use office apps etc)

You might need to consider the interface (HDMI, DisplayPort etc). Based on this page it looks like you don't have a DisplayPort and only an older version of HDMI. HDMI 2.0 is needed for 4k@60Hz - the best you'd be able to manage would be 4k @ 24Hz.

Soldato
You might need to consider the interface (HDMI, DisplayPort etc). Based on this page it looks like you don't have a DisplayPort and only an older version of HDMI. HDMI 2.0 is needed for 4k@60Hz - the best you'd be able to manage would be 4k @ 24Hz.

The card is pretty old now, I just haven't bothered upgrading it because I like that it's silent and I don't need anything more powerful for my current 2 x 27" setup. What (silent if possible) card would you recommend for this TV?

Soldato
The card is pretty old now, I just haven't bothered upgrading it because I like that it's silent and I don't need anything more powerful for my current 2 x 27" setup. What (silent if possible) card would you recommend for this TV?

If you're not gaming much, just pick up a used 970. Can be had for £120-130 second hand. They come up on the MM now and again, so that would be a good way to go.

Back
Top Bottom