Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Associate
Lot of misinformation & assumption here... 2017 LG RGBW HDTV's look incredible I just bought a 49" UHD text is razor sharp from 2 ft away & easily capable of web browsing as well as dual use as a gaming PC & HTPC! 49,55 & 60" models are godlike image wise & sheer scale of the beast!:eek: When I have some more time I will post a few pics of mine.............You need to buy an Active Display Port to HDMI adapter for best PC picture quality as most HDTV's do not have Display Port. Currently though you need HDMI 2.0a for HDR so no way to get HDR on PC with Display Port & a HDTV so that means you either compromise & run a pure HDMI 2.0a to HDMI 2.0a cable between GPU & Display (you can only get limited 16-235) or get full range 0-255 colour from your GPU via a Display Port to HDMI 2.0 adapter which is active & capable of 4K @ 60 Hz (cost around £20 for a proper model avoid the cheaper ones they can only do 4K @ 30 Hz).

Windows 10 HDR is a mess on PC you must have certain hardware or its not even possible for protected content! This is really dumb by MS as its actually slightly cheaper to buy a top of the line UHD player & recent HDTV than build a high end 4K gaming capable PC :rolleyes: They clearly do not want 4K HDR UHD playback for the masses on PC & 2017 high end HDTVs have the included playback now just plug into the net & on the LG for example they have Dolby Vision for Netflix UHD content (LG are one of the only HDTV manufacturer with Dolby Vision for Netflix UHD right now. It gives Stranger Things Season 2 a very filmic & lifelike appearance :D ).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4040547/windows-10-display-requirements-hdr-video

Finally MS also just removed free HEVC codec support on brand new Win 10 installs you now have to buy the codec to playback HEVC (x265) which is basically 4K content as most is in this format!
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/4k...gpus-(update)-ms-pulls-free-hevc-support.html

Not seen it in person but here is an old link which shows the issue RGBW has with text vs a standard RGB layout: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm. Probably not an issue at normal TV viewing distances but would be an issue for close viewing when used as a desktop monitor. Maybe the newer models are better now?

I think the best picture is still HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.0 (RGB Full 0-255, 4k @ 60hz), this definitely works on a supported HDMI 2.0 graphics card (e.g. 1070 GTX). Although if your PC lacks HDMI 2.0 then a 4k 60hz capable display-port adaptor would be the next best option. HDR requires you to switch to YCbCr4:2:2 10 bit (due to hdmi 2.0 18gbps bandwidth limitation) which will mess up the text quality due to sub-sampling, not sure if this is possible with a display-port adaptor (some adaptors do claim to support HDMI 2.0a HDR).

Yes Windows HDR support is a mess, best to stick with the smart TV apps for Amazon Prime, Netflix etc which work well. HDR gaming on PC seems to work well for the few games that support it, but it is a bit of hassle switching output between RGB Full and YCbCr4:2:2, 10 bit, HDR. Lower end 4K TV's give a limited HDR experience as they can't reach the high brightness levels required for premium certification, however 1,000+ nits is probably a bit much if your only sat 1 ft from the screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not seen it in person but here is an old link which shows the issue RGBW has with text vs a standard RGB layout: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/rgbw-201510084189.htm. Probably not an issue at normal TV viewing distances but would be an issue for close viewing when used as a desktop monitor. Maybe the newer models are better now? From about 12" away this is fine & not an issue at all. 2-3" away its still fine but who sits 2-3" away from a 49-65" HDTV! I do ;)
This is from about 10 cm away its not an issue now and I also have Digital Vibrance @ 100% so its actually much clearer than this the colour is a little high!
r94nt1.jpg

Vit

Vit

Associate
What is the Dec 2017 equivalent model of this?

I would suggest getting something 43" and curved. Curve is really nice experience for a PC monitor and with 43" you can use custom 3840x1800 semi-ultrawide 21:10 resolution in some games too for more immersive and comfortable experience. Or even 49" curved if space permits and use that 3840x1800 as default for desktop use and close viewing distance. Some dedicated 40" monitors are starting to pop up too in similar price range.

Soldato
How is the ghosting / smearing when gaming on these?

I was considering a 32" 1440p AOc monitor as an upgrade, but with the MU6400 being £50 cheaper at the moment it's in pole position if the pixel response is good enough.

Associate
Samsung UE40MU6400 / UE49MU6400, there are also 6470 variants as well.

Currently a 40MU6400 is available on offers in few places for £399 for reference

What are the viewing angles like on these? Can you turn the TV on the stand like you can with most monitors? Currently have an 34 “ IPS 3440x1440p 75hz.

Thanks!

Vit

Vit

Associate
How is the ghosting / smearing when gaming on these?

I was considering a 32" 1440p AOc monitor as an upgrade, but with the MU6400 being £50 cheaper at the moment it's in pole position if the pixel response is good enough.
What are the viewing angles like on these? Can you turn the TV on the stand like you can with most monitors? Currently have an 34 “ IPS 3440x1440p 75hz.

Thanks!

I still feel that overall IQ is better then 144hz WQHD 1440p, either 35 21:9 or 32 16:9, dedicated monitors and I returned two of them recently just to go back to that lovely sharp, nicely balanced contrast and great colors, skin tones etc. etc. of my 40ku6400. And you really want to use 4k resolution in games because the clarity and fines of details is just very advantageous and appealing. I play older titles like BF: Bad Company 2, Dota 2, NFS: Shift and the experience in 4k is great with my GTX 1070. I play newer games like BF1 in 4k too, however with almost everything on low because I want the lowest input lag possible which lowers as frame rate raises. I have to admit that dedicated gaming monitors offered some advantages especially in close combat situations. There is a perceptibly lower input lag overall, but it is not massive enough to sway you away from the combination of 4k and overall IQ of my Samsung telly. Longer range combats could favor you in first person shooters as you can spot enemies before they spot you if they have smaller screen with lower resolution. I absolutely loved playing BF 2, the old one from 2005, which was revived by group of enthusiasts recently and was as great as ever before, but EA asked the to take it down. What a shame!! I felt like cheating sniping in BF2 :) Once you try this telly you would be hard pressed to find anything better. But I would definitely go curved for PC monitor in this size range - IT IS NOT A HYPE! - and something Like Vega 56 and upwards will be great match! Cheers :)

Vit

Vit

Associate

Thanks!
Viewing angles are perfectly suitable for PC monitor. There is a little of contrast shift if you pan your head a bit and best color saturation and contrast is achieved from central viewing position, the contrast and color uniformity of VA panels is perceptibly even better on curved screens as curve evens out the distance to your eyes. Color saturation and contrast is decreasing the more you move from ideal viewing position. For PC use you won't notice anything and it is nowhere near as dramatic as TN panels, it is much closer to IPS bar the desaturation but minus IPS glow etc.

Associate
I still feel that overall IQ is better then 144hz WQHD 1440p, either 35 21:9 or 32 16:9, dedicated monitors and I returned two of them recently just to go back to that lovely sharp, nicely balanced contrast and great colors, skin tones etc. etc. of my 40ku6400. And you really want to use 4k resolution in games because the clarity and fines of details is just very advantageous and appealing. I play older titles like BF: Bad Company 2, Dota 2, NFS: Shift and the experience in 4k is great with my GTX 1070. I play newer games like BF1 in 4k too, however with almost everything on low because I want the lowest input lag possible which lowers as frame rate raises. I have to admit that dedicated gaming monitors offered some advantages especially in close combat situations. There is a perceptibly lower input lag overall, but it is not massive enough to sway you away from the combination of 4k and overall IQ of my Samsung telly. Longer range combats could favor you in first person shooters as you can spot enemies before they spot you if they have smaller screen with lower resolution. I absolutely loved playing BF 2, the old one from 2005, which was revived by group of enthusiasts recently and was as great as ever before, but EA asked the to take it down. What a shame!! I felt like cheating sniping in BF2 :) Once you try this telly you would be hard pressed to find anything better. But I would definitely go curved for PC monitor in this size range - IT IS NOT A HYPE! - and something Like Vega 56 and upwards will be great match! Cheers :)

Thanks for this. I’ve just bought one (mu6400), and was thinking about the change from my ultrawide which I do really like, but its only 75hz. If I were used to 144hz it might have been harder. Thanks for all the info. Im running a 1080Ti so im hoping it will be ok (though imo still not a true no compromise 4k card just yet).

Last edited:
Associate
Viewing angles are perfectly suitable for PC monitor. There is a little of contrast shift if you pan your head a bit and best color saturation and contrast is achieved from central viewing position, the contrast and color uniformity of VA panels is perceptibly even better on curved screens as curve evens out the distance to your eyes. Color saturation and contrast is decreasing the more you move from ideal viewing position. For PC use you won't notice anything and it is nowhere near as dramatic as TN panels, it is much closer to IPS bar the desaturation but minus IPS glow etc.

Thanks for this, really helpful. I’ve just ordered one so hopefully it will be good. More curious now about the switch from Ultrawide to be honest!

Associate
the 40 inch is a VA panel and and the 49 is an ips panel, both have pros and cons as I'm sure your aware. This link is a handy read about both technologies.

Soldato

Thanks for the reply. Guess the only way to know if I'll like it is to try one.

I would prefer a curved display at this size but 40" is my limit & the only other option I've found is the 40" Phillips monitor which hasn't had good reviews ( for gaming at least )

Associate
So, I got the TV and the picture is really good.

But, loads of the options are greyed out (cant select game mode etc) or 4:4:4. Is this because my cable is probably hdmi 1.4? I can select 60hz in nvidia control panel.

Secondly its making me feel pretty sick. Is this due to pwm? Or adjustment in size? Or is it running at 30hz or something despite saying 60...

Edit: got game mode on after chnaging hdmi cable (says high speed but nonidea if thats 2.0 as the one I bought today was high speed and its 1.4 i think) but still in Nvidia settings cant select 4:4:4 or 0-255 etc.

Is this a cable issue?

Last edited:
Associate
In the TV picture settings have you enabled HDMI UHD color for the port you're using?

That setting is greyed out. :/

I think the PWM is getting to me. I have an illness that involves the nervous system and whether its just adjusting or not im not sure, but its not fun.

Does anyone know the pwm figure on this? Im guessing it has it (did the camera test and at low backlight there was a ton if flickering).

My current monitor was not like this (Acer xr342ck).

Associate
The Samsung TVs have a PWM of 120hz, which is the lowest you'll find on any TV/Monitor. It's disabled above the 12/20 setting. Everyone claiming the PWM doesn't affect them will be running the TV at silly brightness levels, rather than a room calibrated level of 120-200 cd/m.

Back
Top Bottom