Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Associate
thanks to this thread i went for a 49KS7500 - its a curved set but as its sat on my desk it works really well as a monitor. wanted a full 10bit panel and a certified HDR panel. also doing some research its a better TV than the new 2017 replacements as you have to step up to the QLED sets for an equivalent display. there seems to be a lot of ranting on the TV forums about the new 2017 range.

Associate
What brightness setting are people using for the Samsung? Below 50% (10 out of 20) these models have PWM flicker. Interested to know if the screen is usable at 11/20 - a cdm2 value would be nice.

Associate
I used "TV calibration with Darko" channel - his recent Calibration video for MU6400 sorted me nicely.

Thanks, I will give this a go. But I think the real problem is that I cannot get the chroma4:4:4 mode to work correctly above 30Hz and it is driving me mad.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The issue is the Sammy MU6400 fails the chroma sub sampling test spectacularly at 60Hz - it’s almost unsalable as I get a headache after an hour or so.

I have a GTX 1080Ti so I have been trying to set the Output colour format in the Nvidia control panel to chroma YCbCR444 @ 60Hz without success

I have tried (all connected to HDMI port 1 on the TV):

• 2 different “high speed” HDMI cables where the best stable output format YCBCr420 @ 60Hz
  • Same HDMI cables and active display port adapter which will give the option to select YCbCR444 but only at 30Hz
  • Display port cable again only allows YCBCr420 @ 60Hz

For the Sammy MU6400 to be usable the I need YCbCR444. I assume there is something wrong with my cables.

So my question how do people get the Sammy to pass the chroma sub sampling test at 60Hz? What settings do you have and which connectors are you using?

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I will give this a go. But I think the real problem is that I cannot get the chroma4:4:4 mode to work correctly above 30Hz and it is driving me mad.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The issue is the Sammy MU6400 fails the chroma sub sampling test spectacularly at 60Hz - it’s almost unsalable as I get a headache after an hour or so.

I have a GTX 1080Ti so I have been trying to set the Output colour format in the Nvidia control panel to chroma YCbCR444 @ 60Hz without success

I have tried (all connected to HDMI port 1 on the TV):

• 2 different “high speed” HDMI cables where the best stable output format YCBCr420 @ 60Hz
  • Same HDMI cables and active display port adapter which will give the option to select YCbCR444 but only at 30Hz
  • Display port cable again only allows YCBCr420 @ 60Hz

For the Sammy MU6400 to be usable the I need YCbCR444. I assume there is something wrong with my cables.

So my question how do people get the Sammy to pass the chroma sub sampling test at 60Hz? What settings do you have and which connectors are you using?

These where my settings:

PC Setup
Input set to 'PC' (Highlight the HDMI 'source' icon and press up, then edit, then select PC)
Picture Mode - Standard
Special Picture Mode - This says 'SPORTS' but is actually turned off when you drill down in that menu.

Expert Picture Settings:
Backlight - 8
Brightness - 49
Contrast - 99
Sharpness - 50
(Everything is now greyed out between this and the next option)
HDMI UHD Colour -> HDMI the PC is connected to is 'ON'
(more greyed out stuff)
Colour Tone - Warm 2
White Balance -> 2 Point ->Red Gain 14 / G Gain -3 (all others 0)
Gamma - 0

When you select 'PC' as the input type a lot of stuff is greyed out so there isn't any other adjustments to make.

This is for 2.2 Gamma, 120 Lumens, D65 white point which is the normal monitor calibration target as per TFT Central etc.

On the PC I found the Windows 10 CC update screwed things up and the TV was going in to HDR mode and the PC defaulting to 10 bit at some weird colour encoding. To stop that happening, I set the Nvidia output to 8 bit colour, full rgb rather than 4:4:4
I used this link to check for correct 4:4:4 handling http://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how...-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

All back to normal and working again

Soldato
The Hisense M3300 is fantastic, and considering it's £300 it's a bargain. I love mine so much, that I bought a second one for the bedroom.

The clarity is perfect, as are the colours and blacks. No bleed or cloudyness either.

It puts the display on my dell xps laptop to shame that's for sure

2ykkv4n.jpg

Where are you finding these?

The catalogue shop doesn't have any

The Poorer sounding place only has 55"

Associate
Have one in my place (Hisense one),but price is way to high,388,so i ordered 40KU6400,ironically - my few months old expensive 34" monitor died,and i was looking at exactly this Sammy model as my pc monitor and yesterday i stumbled on this thread while looking for info on monitors and TV's :D
Will get my TV in 2 weeks after some holidays.

Associate
I'm always late to the party...lol
A site called PRC direct has it in stock for £339

I've had the 40" M3300 for about 2 month's, I'm really pleased with it. Was playing Forza horizon 3 today, and it looks great. I cant stand motion blur but it was very playable.
I've tested The Witcher, Project cars, Rise of The tomb Raider and Prey also and they all were super smooth.
Once you get used to the size there's no going back. I've been gaming on a Rog swift for the last 2 years so was worried about the drop to 60hz but its been fine.

Soldato
A site called PRC direct has it in stock for £339

I've had the 40" M3300 for about 2 month's, I'm really pleased with it. Was playing Forza horizon 3 today, and it looks great. I cant stand motion blur but it was very playable.
I've tested The Witcher, Project cars, Rise of The tomb Raider and Prey also and they all were super smooth.
Once you get used to the size there's no going back. I've been gaming on a Rog swift for the last 2 years so was worried about the drop to 60hz but its been fine.

Thanks Buddy

Ordered, Will report back when delivered and set up.

Do I need any special leads. I'm running a GTX1070

Associate
Thanks Buddy

Ordered, Will report back when delivered and set up.

Do I need any special leads. I'm running a GTX1070

Just get a decent 4k 2.0 HDMI cable. I got one on the rainforest for about 7 quid.

You need to use HDMIi 3 or 4 for 4k 60hz 1 and 2 are 30hz

To enable HDR you need to enable enhanced in the system menu/HDMI function.

I dont use it though i prefer game mode for some reason when i have enhanced enabled every time i turn on the tv it would default to hdr and the colour was way over saturated, the only way i could fix it was to uninstall nv drivers and factory reset the tv. I've not enabled enhanced since and its been solid for last 2 weeks.
You have better luck with the HDR, It was just annoying me having to change picture mode every time i turned it on.

I used these settings i found on AV forums as a base and upped the digital vibrance a bit in NV control panel.

Picture mode - PC/Gamemode
Brightness - 48
Contrast - 45
Colour Saturation - 45
Backlight - DBC - Off and Backlight at 25
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 5
Adaptive Contrast - Off
Colour temp - Warm
Noise Reduction - Off
Colour Tuner
Red - H0, S2, B2
Green - H2, S1, B1
Blue - H-1, S3, B -1
Yellow - H-1, SO, B0
Cyan - H0, B4, S-1
Magenta - H0, S1, B1

Ignored flesh tone

White Balance:
Red Offset +9
Green Offset 0
Blue Offset -2
Red Gain +1
Green Gain 0
Blue Gain -3

Associate
I am having a night mare with Windows 10 creators edition and my Samsung UE40KU6400. The colours looked great on it when freshly installed and then a driver got pulled down and now everything looks very over saturated!

Back
Top Bottom