Mister FPGA

Associate
So I've just installed from fresh with Mr Fusion 2.9 and 'update' doesn't download any cores/roms that I can see. I thought the latest Mr Fusion builds included the 'downloader' as detailed below?

Do I still need the update all script, at least initially?

Been a couple of years since I've rebuilt mine but in my notes I wrote let the Mr. Fusion script run, then use WinSCP to transfer the latest 'update_all' script over to the Scripts folder. Then you will be able to run that but press the up key (or whichever) to check and set settings first before running.

-----

Was about to post that I just picked up a 4:3, 1024x768, 15" Dell e156fpb monitor a few days ago. Not perfect because the resolution isn't an integer of 240, so a vscale_mode of 1 results in small borders. That said the Dell 2007fbp's go for silly money and I'm not sure they are ideal (as much as a LCD is vs. a CRT).

However it has been quite cool to try the VGA connection on the I/O board. Was a pain to get running correctly and whilst it was pretty much working out of the box (no need to enable scandoubling with this resolution) for any NTSC platforms I couldn't work out why it wouldn't work with any PAL cores (C64, Amiga etc.). Turns out you have to set vsync_adjust to '0' for those cores (or at a system level). The documentation is really good at pointing out what '1' and '2' mean but not why you might not want to enable this option.

Also finally got around to checking out the Saturn core and it's amazing!

XkBbwD9l.jpg

Soldato
OP
So I've just installed from fresh with Mr Fusion 2.9 and 'update' doesn't download any cores/roms that I can see. I thought the latest Mr Fusion builds included the 'downloader' as detailed below?

Do I still need the update all script, at least initially?
it will download the arcade roms, anything else you have to source yourself.

Soldato
OP
Yep I got that. Its just that you mentioned the downloader which took over from update_all which I wasn't sure about. I've used update_all now but thought that was redundant.
i use downloader, but i think i always do update all first when first setting up too.

Ive got my third de10-nano just turn up so i can put one back in my arcade cabinet :)

Associate
Yep I got that. Its just that you mentioned the downloader which took over from update_all which I wasn't sure about. I've used update_all now but thought that was redundant.

i use downloader, but i think i always do update all first when first setting up too.

Sorry might be me missing the point, but I thought 'update_all' used the downloader script now (along with the other things it does)?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I use Update_all for everything, you can edit the ini file to include updating the N64 core too.

I’ve not heard anywhere other than on here it’s been made redundant :-/

I would also recommend running Wizzo’s remote script so you can do everything from your phone/tablet it has such a great UI

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still not sure myself tbh. It mentions it here under the Mister scripts support section.

Then to use downloader.sh from your scripts folder.

Though it says to only do this once then it auto updates.

Associate
I use Update_all for everything, you can edit the ini file to include updating the N64 core too.

I’ve not heard anywhere other than on here it’s been made redundant :-/

I would also recommend running Wizzo’s remote script so you can do everything from your phone/tablet it has such a great UI

I don't think it's been made redundant but I was trying to understand why you wouldn't want to use it; other than maybe looking to setup everything manually or you already had an image ready to go. That said there are definitely issues with it judging by the official forums (I had the blank display issue a couple of years ago).

I'm still not sure myself tbh. It mentions it here under the Mister scripts support section.

It reads as to me as if it's built into both Mr.Fusion scripts and update_all. I do remember a tweet about them changing the downloading part of the update_all script a few years ago.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I’ve just tried Mario Tennis! I can’t believe how well it plays and how far the core development has come in such a short period of time, at this rate the core will be released by Christmas!

Also, Wizzo has kindly sent me one of his NFC card readers he’s developed with Retro Castle. Should get to play with it this evening!

Soldato
I’ve just tried Mario Tennis! I can’t believe how well it plays and how far the core development has come in such a short period of time, at this rate the core will be released by Christmas!

Also, Wizzo has kindly sent me one of his NFC card readers he’s developed with Retro Castle. Should get to play with it this evening!
Robert's development skills and rate is not human! Certainly a gifted and talented developer. I'd be happy if I had 1% of his knowledge :D.

Reactions: Zaf
Soldato
OP
The N64 core now has 100% compatibility for the US romset - everything works to a certain extent now, pretty amazing how quickly Robert has done this.

would be amazing if you could get an upscaler in the core, im thinking of buying the retrotink 4k if i can get my hands on one when they launch in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Soldato
The N64 core now has 100% compatibility for the US romset - everything works to a certain extent now, pretty amazing how quickly Robert has done this.

would be amazing if you could get an upscaler in the core, im thinking of buying the retrotink 4k if i can get my hands on one when they launch in a couple of days.
I have not tried the N64 core yet, but this is excellent news. I tried to play my N64 the other day and it would not turn on (I believe the powersupply has gone). I might try this over the weekend.

Also excited about the RT4K. It was easy enough getting the 5x at launch, fingers crossed the 4K is just as easy. It is going to be an absolute game changer for retro gaming!

Back
Top Bottom