Mister FPGA

Soldato
OP
It depends what you want from it and what your displaying it on. For stuff like snes/megadrive its not going to be much different other than the input latency being better.

Where it shines is on a CRT TV or monitor - ive got two, one hooked up to a 25" Sony trinitron, the other on a Philips 19" diamontron and they both look amazing.

L_D

L_D

Associate
Has anyone got experience with the Ironclad Plus Mini-ITX board?

I was going to get a Multisystem board - but it looks like they may not be getting produced any more. I know everything is open sourced and I could build my own - but preference would be a ready built board.

I like the fact it is mini-itx so can use a standard PC case rather than a 3d printed one.

Associate
So I ran into some SD card problems (my 64GB original micro SD card packed it in I think as it only now showing 30MB luckily tho I had a 200GB backup card so formatted that wrote the Mister IMAGE what not seemed fine and now................the blue light is showing on the back of the MISTER but um..........no power at the front or USB or HDMi erm...........yeah I think i've messed u

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Has anyone got experience with the Ironclad Plus Mini-ITX board?

I was going to get a Multisystem board - but it looks like they may not be getting produced any more. I know everything is open sourced and I could build my own - but preference would be a ready built board.

I like the fact it is mini-itx so can use a standard PC case rather than a 3d printed one.
Personally no, but out of curiosity why do you want a Multisystem or Ironclad board in the first place? There are other options out there depending on your requirements and exactly what you want to get out of the MiSTer.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
How is the mister running for you guys? Any better than a shield tv running emus?
If you like a nice shiny front end with box art etc then the MiSTer isn't for you. If you want a system that is going to give you an experience as close to the original hardware then go with the MiSTer.

I was a sceptic at first, coming from using a Raspberry Pi 4 with RetroPi and RGBPi hooked up to a LG CX and 21" Trinitron via a SCART HAT, and the MiSTer blew me away, I don't know what it is but playing the games just feels so much better and auto download of all the arcade cores is great!

L_D

L_D

Associate
Personally no, but out of curiosity why do you want a Multisystem or Ironclad board in the first place? There are other options out there depending on your requirements and exactly what you want to get out of the MiSTer.
I like the form factor really - currently I have no case at all - which is fine functionality wise, but not very aesthetic :)
I was going to buy a new USB board and a case, but didn't like the ones available in the UK. The metal one available in the US is quite nice. However, I like the idea of an mini-itx case to house everything. Purely aesthetic reasons though really.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I like the form factor really - currently I have no case at all - which is fine functionality wise, but not very aesthetic :)
I was going to buy a new USB board and a case, but didn't like the ones available in the UK. The metal one available in the US is quite nice. However, I like the idea of an mini-itx case to house everything. Purely aesthetic reasons though really.

You can stick the DE-10 nano in an ITX case without the extra expense of an Ironclad etc just have the power and hdmi/vga hanging out the back, but you’ll need to wire up the USB in the front of the case yourself tho

I’ve been thinking of getting another MiSTer for downstairs connected to our main tv in place of the Xbox using one of these cases…

Last edited:

L_D

L_D

Associate
You can stick the DE-10 nano in an ITX case without the extra expense of an Ironclad etc just have the power and hdmi/vga hanging out the back, but you’ll need to wire up the USB in the front of the case yourself tho

I’ve been thinking of getting another MiSTer for downstairs connected to our main tv in place of the Xbox using one of these cases…

I need a USB board too so thought I may as well go one better. The Ironclad Plus isn't available currently either though. There is the uncertainty about dual RAM just now too, so may be best to wait and see what happens there.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I need a USB board too so thought I may as well go one better. The Ironclad Plus isn't available currently either though. There is the uncertainty about dual RAM just now too, so may be best to wait and see what happens there.

I don’t think there is any uncertainty, you are going to need dual SDRAM, at least for Midway arcade cores for now and most likely Saturn too, nothing has been said about N64 as yet, as far as I know.

Depending on how many ports you need or if you are using an external USB drive, you might get away with a cheap 4 port hub or you could use an external USB hub.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You wont need dual SD for the saturn. Theres a benefit to it at the moment while its in development, but he's said it will fit in single ram.

Bear in mind if you have dual ram, you lose out on vga inputs.

If you really want to play mortal kombat you can still play the playstation or saturn version, snes megadrive etc. If you dont use a CRT then it makes the choice easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaf

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I use Direct Video for VGA as I don’t need any of the other features on the IO board and you get 24bit colour single which is superior to the 18bit on the IO board, I don’t know if that’s the same on the Multisystem and Ironclad too

Soldato
OP
I use BNC to VGA for my diamondtron monitor - im sure both would look good. Ive got both a standard mister setup but my hdmi is borked on it so i can only use the vga port, or the multisystem which i dont think allows support for 2 sticks of memory if i remember correctly (i could be wrong though).

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Work on a Dreamcast core has started too but it’s not expected to run on the MiSTer I don’t think. I’ve not been following it that closely.

The N64 core is by the same developer of the PSX core!

Associate
Wow an N64 core! That's pretty amazing. If there're glitches and bugs though it does make you wonder how accurate hardware emulation is over software but I'm sure they will all get ironed out over time. Looking forward to a finished core.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom