Mixed bag - Crossfit/Stronglifts/Spin

Soldato
OP
5km Row - 3 man teams. 20 min time cap.

Any which way you want to do it between you. Basically we went for max attack 300/350m each and change. Completed in 19.00. Pretty happy with that, the change overs probably cost us 90/120 seconds overall but still under the cap.

WOD - individual

20 min AMRAP

10 Drainers
15 Toe to bar (i'm getting close to my first one!!) - 15 leg raises for me
20 Pressups (i ended up doing hand release ones)
25 Sqauts
30 American Swings 24kg

3 days in a row have really taken it out on me - it's a later class at 10.30 (normally 9.30) and I didn't eat much this morning, went out hard on the row and suffered in the WOD. Did 2 full rounds and then 10 drainers and 15 bar leg raises and was done.

Day off tomorrow - out all day with work.

Associate
Good work, that is a great photo!

Definitely keep an eye on the food intake especially if you are training for consecutive days. But then again I am permanently eating :D

Soldato
OP
Quick Squat session whilst kids at their crossfit class!

20kg x 5
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
80kg x 5

Nothing else there today. Need to get back to trying to squat 3 times a week as it won't rise much without that.

Soldato
I think I’m with you - us normal people can’t get enough practise if you squat just once a week and the weights we’re putting up aren’t enough to tax the CNS too much

Soldato
OP
I think I’m with you - us normal people can’t get enough practise if you squat just once a week and the weights we’re putting up aren’t enough to tax the CNS too much

that's it - I enjoy the crossfit at the moment and get to 3 or 4 class a week but can't also then add in another 3 or 4 squat sessions.

Soldato
OP
Saturday morning Team WOD

Gym owner (john's) special Waterfall workout.

3 Man Teams
  • 12 Cal Assault Bike
  • 24 Box Jumps
  • 12 Kbell Clusters (24kg)
  • 12 Burpee Long jumps
  • 12 Chest to Bar
  • 24 Ball Slams
25 min AMRAP

Basically 1st person goes, does bike, 2nd person bike and 3rd person bike. Straight into 1st person bike and box jumps, 2nd person bike and box jumps, 3rd person bike and box jumps, then back to 1st person bike, box jumps and Kbell clusters etc etc

So effectively adding an exercise each round but always starting back at the bike.

Horrible - horrible. I stupidly went 1st......Really tough one, got into the 5th round and completed my Burpee long jumps and was just about to start Chest to bar (or jumping pull ups for me)......brutal workout.

Soldato
OP
Monday

Complex

4 deadlifts
3 hang snatch
2 front squat

Again, struggled with the hang snatch. Going to see about some 1 to 1 coaching on this. Just not clicking technique wise. Holding me back a bit on things like this. Got to 55kg but could only get 2 @ 60kg up on the snatch.

WOD1

6 mins max cals - Assault Bike

100cals - fairly happy with that, paced it well and then gunned the last 30 seconds.

Wod2

2,2,2 4,4,4 6,6,6 etc 6 min AMRAP

Dead
hang snatch
front squat

40kg for me (supposed to be 45kg). Got full set of 8,8,8 done in the time but was hard after coming off the bike

WOD3

6 mins AMRAP

20 jumping pull ups
15 D&U
20 alternative leg lunges.

Managed 3 full sets

Good session.

Soldato
OP
Tuesday Chipper!

15 mins working on anything - gymnastics/strength. kind of open session.

Worked on my double unders (still rubbish!) and some efforts at toe to bar (still rubbish). haha

Chipper (30 mins time cap)

• 50 Wall Balls (13kg)
  • 50 Double KB Swings (16kg each)
  • 75 Cals any machine (rower)
  • 50 Box Jump overs (30 inch)
  • 50 T2B (or 75 Ab Mat situps butterfly)
Any order you want.
  • Buy out - 150 double unders (for me 150 step touch jump ups)
I did situps (can't do T2B) and also did 50 box step ups and over as my knees are bad for the jumping up.

However managed it all in 26.30 which I was real happy with. Started with row and got through that in 3.40, box step ups were ok, wall ball just broke into chunks of 5 at a time. KB swings were strange with 2kbells.

Soldato
OP
Squat cleans to start the day.

Working on getting under the bar properly. Worked up to 50kg. Bit more to go but concentrating on form.

WOD1

3,3 6,6 9,9 Etc

45kg squat clean
Burpee box jump 24"

5 minutes on / 5 minutes off, then go again starting from where you finished last time.

WOD2

3,3 6,6 9,9

Rower 3 cals/6 cals
50kg slam ball ground to over shoulder

5 minutes on / 5 minutes off, then go again starting from where you finished last time

Holy cow!!! The 50kg slam ball was brutal..... So hard to get off the deck and roll up your body.... The rowing was fine but the slam ball at 50kg should be banned!!!

I did 15/15 in wod1 but struggled with slam ball which took up all my time in WOD2 and only got to 12/12

Soldato
OP
Friday Conditioning

30 seconds on/15 seconds off - repeat each station for 3 full rounds before moving on.

• 15kg Ball Slams
  • speed stepups
  • jack knife situps
  • 1 Arm Kettlebell Front Squat
Then same again - 30 seconds on/15 seconds off - repeat each station for 3 full rounds before moving on.

• Slam ball squats
  • side to side step ups
  • HRPU into burpee
  • Kettlebell press
then 30 mins of spin class - sweatfest as usual.

Soldato
OP
WOD1 - Endurance

Assault Bike
Skier
Rower
Burpee Shuttle runs

2 Mins on, 30 seconds off, move to next station. Repeat whole thing twice.

WOD2

Deadlift - 60kg
Burpees

2,2,4,4,6,6,8,8 etc etc

7 Min AMRAP.

Endurance sucked big time, so little rest and going round twice was hard work at the end!

WOD2 - looked ok. Deads were fine, could fire through them, but more burpees sucked hard. Got to 14's round done in the 7 mins.

Soldato
OP
Tuesday

Strength

1RM - Hang Power Clean

Ended up working on my own but got up to 60kg which is PB for me (only done Hang power clean twice before!)

WOD1

30 each
20 each
10 each

descending reps

50kg Hang Power Clean
24" Box Jump

Then into 50 Toe to Bar to finish

10 min time cap

Holy Cow - Actually quite pleased I stuck with the 50kg and finished the Cleans and the box jumps and got 10 knee ups (can't do toe to bar) in the 10 mins.

WOD2

Tabatas - 20 seconds on/10 seconds off. 5 rounds on each station

15kg ball slams
24" Box step ups
9kg Wall Ball

Tough workouts but overall it was doable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thursday

Strength

3RM - Front Squat

Not to bad I guess - still early days - got up to 70kg and had 75kg on the bar but ran out of time. (65kg was previous pb)

WOD1

EMOM - 7 mins

7 Cal Assault Bike
10 Russian KB swings (24kg)

WOD2

EMOM - 7 mins

7 Wall Balls (9kg)
7 Down and Ups

WOD3

EMOM - 7 Mins

5 Front Squat - 50kg
10 Deadlifts - 50kg

Not really sure what happened but I think I went to hard on wod1, and totally blew by the 3rd one. Had to take the bar down to 40kg as was really struggling with the squats. Legs totally empty. Possible didn't eat enough as this class is 1pm compared to my usual 9.30am class. Felt a bit deflated today after that.

Soldato
OP
It happens to everyone. Get a decent nights sleep, eat well and you'll be firing again tomorrow @)

cheers - yeah - one of those days.

Anyway - back today for Friday fun

Friday Conditioning & Spin

Pairs

1 min on -

10 x Plate burpees into mountain climbers for the rest of the minute. Swap to partner

4 rounds each (8 mins total)

then

12 cal ski
15 hand to plate stepups (plank position and hands onto plate back to floor as fast as you can)
20 speed steps onto plate.

Swap to partner - 10 mins - AMRAP.

Pumped - then off to 30 mins spin class with focus on intervals and high resistance today.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if it's a good idea but got a space in the Strength/Condition bootcamp for next 8 weeks at the gym.

Limited in numbers due to almost 1 to 1 coaching - it's Wednesday night Squats (1hour) and Thursday night Endurance/Conditioning (1hour) - Could be very painful but a great base to build on i guess.

Soldato
OP
Monday pain train.....

Strength

Overhead Squat

2RM - never done this one before so only got to 40kg. It's all about balance this one. One to work on going forward.

WOD1 - 6 min time cap

50kg Front Squats
Burpees

Not my best - got 21,15 sets done.

WOD2 - 6 mins

50 9kg slam balls
25 9kg Wall Balls

2 rounds

Got all but 12 done in the final set of wall balls - full on forearm pump going on!

WOD3 - 6 mins

20 HRPU
20 Butterfly situps
20 Alternative leg lunges

2 rounds, then max cal assault bike to finish

Then some stretching to finish with.

Soldato
OP
Tuesday

Strength

2RM Clusters

Another new one. Anyway - pushed hard on this and got 2 @ 60kg which I was happy enough with.

WOD

1 Min per station - no rest in between

• Max Cal Row
  • 50kg Clusters
  • 24" Box Jump/step up
  • 25kg Dumbell Clean
  • T2B (or knee ups if not)
  • REST
Repeat 3 times.

Coaches Finisher

3 man teams - 12 cals skier into 10 ball slams (15kg) each, then partner goes. max effort.

Tough finisher as we had a new guy who disappear to puke outside, so ended up with just 2 of us rotating for 10 mins. Very little break in between our rounds.

First PT session tomorrow - should be "fun"

Soldato
OP
PT Session this morning.

Some gymnastic work to try and get me doing T2B and Strict Pullups as I can do neither at the moment. Some good "homework" to practice.

2 mins on/2 mins off workout

200m row into max sled pulls up and down the gym

Repeat 5 times. Bit of technique stuff with an empty bar as well.

Just what I was looking for - mainly technique stuff at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Strength Bootcamp

Offffttt - going to be sore tomorrow.

Basically it's a 1 hour squatting session. 6 week blocks and limited numbers.

So for me - night one. I was to find my weight for 5 sets of 7 reps. I picked 80kg as I got to 85kg in 5 x 5 stronglifts about 2 months ago.

Most of the guys/girls there are way heavier etc but you got to work with your own weight. Completed my sets, hard work but looking forward to progressing with my squat. Got homework that the coach wants completed each week before the class. More squatting!

Tough night, glutes are screaming! - great atmosphere with everyone roaring everyone on etc - really good.

Back
Top Bottom