Mixed size drive NAS?

Associate
So my first network attached storage unit was a Windows Home Server solution. It was really appealing as it had RAID like features and just worked with mixed size disks. You could choose which top level folders were replicated and which were at risk so you could use the space efficiently. Microsoft kinda dropped support for it so then the solution I ended up migrating to (which I still use today) was to buy two single drive hard drive NAS enclosures (Qnap brand). They have software to run automated backups to another network drive. So what I've got is a single drive that is my primary drive and then I backup the stuff that I want to the second drive. This solution allows me to have mixed size disks (so long as the backup drive is bigger than the stuff being backed up) and it gives me some level of protection for a single drive failure. It's not quite RAID as my backup only runs daily, but this is good enough for me as I only use it to store media (i.e. if I lost a day, or even a weeks worth of data then it's no big deal).

The solution has been working well for a long time but I've kinda been out of the scene for a while. Are there any self contained solutions that do what Windows Home Server did?

TIA

Associate
SHR is quite good .. but obviously requires syno hardware or software. ALso you tend to have to start with this in mind.
doesnt the modern win10 have something called storage spaces , which as far as I can see is not getting much push from MS.
it does something along the lines of shr and drivepool but may be aimed at corporates . eg good on 6 drive arrays and better

Back
Top Bottom