Mobile Data - how to get the most out of my network for home wifi use?

Associate
Hi all,

First and foremost, apologies for the wall of text. I know very little when it comes to networks, routers and how to set them up 'properly' but I'm hoping to learn so that I can understand this topic a bit better while looking for advice about something that's been confusing me.

To give you a bit of background, I live in a rented apartment where free internet is included, but is limited to approx 8mbps per client that connects to it. Fortunately, there is an option to get gigabit internet with a private provider. Unfortunately, I cannot choose the provider, and the only provider my landlord would allow charges £50 p/m for FTTP (which isn't bad, but means I would have to be in a contract for 12 months - during which I will more than likely move out in favour of owning my own home).

Regardless, I literally live less than 200m (175m approx, according to google maps) from a tower which contains masts for various carriers. Having just ran a google speedtest on my iPhone XS Max, I roughly get 125-130 mbps down on 4G (5G isn't available on my device, nor does my dated SIM support it), my SIM is with BT. I definitely know 5G is widely available in my area as well, as friends/ family have used it in the past while visiting.

Having seen these insane speeds via 4G and loathing the free internet I get, I thought of getting a SIM-only deal and investing in a 4G router. The router I bought was an ASUS 4G-AC68U (which I believed to be a decent router with 4G capabilities at the time of purchase. Thought I'd need a decent router if I move into my own place some time in the near future) and the SIM I purchased was a bog standard 4G SIM from SMARTY (£20 p/m for unlimited data, monthly rolling contract, cancel any time).

After setting up the router with the most basic/ default settings, I noticed that the speeds with the exact same SIM as in my iPhone (I took it out of my phone and placed it in the router to check), using the exact same speed checker from Google, were roughly 33mbps - which is a damn sight lower than what I originally had with my phone. Same applies to the SMARTY SIM I purchased. The speeds are definitely not as fast as my BT SIM but they are indeed faster via my iPhone.

Cell tower -> Router -> My Phone
was slower than
Cell tower -> My Phone
which is understandable I guess, but why is is so much slower?

I checked online and it mentioned something about the QoS settings on my router, as I also have one other device that's connected (a robot vacuum), but I wouldn't have thought it would use up so much bandwidth? Nevertheless, I enabled QoS on my router (as it appeared to be disabled in the settings) and set it to auto prioritise, with a preset for media streaming (which is what I do the most). This doesn't seem to have made any difference, both via my BT and SMARTY SIMs; speed tests returning ~33mbps. Content like YouTube doesn't appear to be loading any faster, no sign of the 130mbps I was getting via my iPhone directly from the tower.

How can I get the most of the speed that my iPhones reports using 4G, via my router?
Is there perhaps another router that I should invest in? I don't mind shilling out on a decent router if that's what it takes. Perhaps even a 5G one? ASUS (from what I've seen, correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't have a 5G router yet. I was even considering changing my SMARTY SIM to EE, or a 5G BT one (although I'm not sure if either provide unlimited data).
Perhaps there is some sort of QoS built in that throttles my bandwidth? I tried all of the different presets and it doesn't seem like there's much of a difference between them.
Is there any way to see what speeds my router gets before it allocates bandwidth out to all the connected parties?

Are there any alternative ways to get super fast speeds out of 4G/5G networks?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It might be provider throttling "tethering" but phones often support a wider range of frequencies and features than your average consumer 4G router such as carrier aggregation.

Soldato
It will likely be down to the hardware configuration of the antenna in the router, and the number of connections it can make at the same time to the cell tower it is connecting to. I'm not sure if the Asus you have supports CA (Carrier Aggregation) which bonds multiple frequencies together and allows much greater data rates, that you'd see from only one, this also requires support of the provider.

As was also suggested it could be throttled but that is not the case with Smarty/Three as I have tested this thoroughly and the speeds don't change from phone to modem, and there is in fact regulation in place to stop mobile carries treating the two differently these days. Maybe look at a 5G/4G solution from Three or similar with a high quality router included in the bundle, Three were offering on 12 month contracts for ~£17pm for 6 months and £34pm months for the last 6 months, this is a totally unlimited data SIM included, and you have the same 14-day cooling off period to return it if you can't get it to work how you'd like.

Associate
OP
At you using a Smarty Data Sim, or a unlimited data with mobile minutes and texts?
If the later, potentially being throttled.

https://smarty.co.uk/data-sim

Hey, thanks for your reply.
The plan I have with SMARTY states:
“Unlimited Data, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Voice”.

When I visit the link in your reply, the ‘unlimited’ plan appears to be the one I have, which comes with unlimited voice & text as well.
Nevertheless, I didn’t realise that data SIMs work differently compared to ‘regular’ text/ call SIMs, so thank you for shedding some light on that.

Associate
OP
It will likely be down to the hardware configuration of the antenna in the router, and the number of connections it can make at the same time to the cell tower it is connecting to. I'm not sure if the Asus you have supports CA (Carrier Aggregation) which bonds multiple frequencies together and allows much greater data rates, that you'd see from only one, this also requires support of the provider.

As was also suggested it could be throttled but that is not the case with Smarty/Three as I have tested this thoroughly and the speeds don't change from phone to modem, and there is in fact regulation in place to stop mobile carries treating the two differently these days. Maybe look at a 5G/4G solution from Three or similar with a high quality router included in the bundle, Three were offering on 12 month contracts for ~£17pm for 6 months and £34pm months for the last 6 months, this is a totally unlimited data SIM included, and you have the same 14-day cooling off period to return it if you can't get it to work how you'd like.

Hey, thank you very much for your detailed reply.

Something I hadn’t mentioned in my OP (which I thought was useless information) is that I originally bought a £25 p/m plan with Three, that came with a HUAWEI 4G router (as when I moved in, Three didn’t have 5G in my area). The speeds were not amazing though, around 50 mbps, so I cancelled in favour of SMARTY - having read somewhere that they used the same network as Three (which I now think I misread somewhere).

I’ll have a look into carrier aggregation and perhaps contact Three again to see if I can try out one of their 5G routers, now that I can.

Can you recommend any routers for me to look into? I don’t mind about the price, just wondered if there’s anything specific I should look out for in the specs. Most of the time they’re ‘dummyfied’ for people and don’t reveal anything particularly different to the one I have from ASUS.

Last edited:
Soldato
The speeds were not amazing though, around 50 mbps, so I cancelled in favour of SMARTY - having read somewhere that they used the same network as Three (which I now think I misread somewhere).

SMARTY is owned by Three, and indeed run by them, much like how GiffGaff was/is part of O2.

As I said, I'd just opt for the 5G router included with the Three deal, and test it that way since you'll get to keep the router and the contract will cost the same regardless of you supplying your own hardware. I'd think they are still suppling the perfectly capable Huawei CPE Pro, which has a good internal antenna setup and does have the option to add external ones as well. I've been using one for the last 10 months and it's been utterly rock solid, although I only use the modem side of it. There's plenty more data in the 5G thread as well.

Associate
Would wireless tethering from your phone or a 4g tether only phone be an option?

I do find unlike fixed broadband down the line, speeds in mobile differ massively throughout the day and day specific.

Even where I am in the house makes a big difference

Back
Top Bottom