Modern Behaviour - Prophesied in Comedy

Soldato
As an avid listener and watcher of Armando Iannuci, Chris Morris and gang back in the 90's I am often impressed how profetic they were.

Peadogeddon was a good one.
The war coverage was too.

Time Trumpet was also on the money.

It reminded me of this 30 second skit which is basically a performative version of every thread that ends in an argument. Any others (non Morris, I know them all!)?

Soldato
Some of the real situations today is even better comedy. Just the people doing it have no sense of themselves.

Demanding other people address you by a pronoun in a conversation you're not even involved with. In some places they even want people locked up for, at least, bad manners.

The satire material is there but many people are scared to make the jokes.

Soldato
Demanding other people address you by a pronoun in a conversation you're not even involved with.

Logic fail. How can you address anyone in a conversation you are not involved with?

If you address someone then you are making yourself involved.

If you do choose to involve yourself in a conversation, would it really hurt you to show a modicum of courtesy /respect for others feelings?

Last edited:
Suspended
Yeah, that baffled me as well.

Do you know what, It's 2024 and I've still never been in a situation away from the internet where I've had to address anyone other than he or she.

Soldato
Logic fail. How can you address anyone in a conversation you are not involved with?

If you do choose to involve yourself in a conversation, would it really hurt you to show a modicum of courtesy /respect for others feelings?

BowdonUK is an interesting poster. I get the impression that generally he enters into discussions because he is genuinely trying to improve his understanding (if I recall correctly he acknowledged that he had been wrong to support Brexit). However, he is clearly susceptible to right wing propaganda (I don't know whether he gets this from the likes of the Daily Mail or from social media). Possibly he views this as seeking balance from a range of sources, but it does seem to result in him repeating some of the culture wars/anti immigrant nonsense.

Soldato

She/he/him/her etc are words I'd use in a conversation I was having with person B about person C.

I've never used pronouns about the person I'm talking too.

I usually say the persons name.

I don't consider titles to be pronouns.

It seems to me that pronouns are being used for affirmation of someone elses identity. Whilst I personally wouldn't intentionally misgender someone, it is a bad state of affairs for a persons whole identity to be at the mercy of strangers.

Part of my life struggle with disability as been how I've been perceived by other people. Most strangers are already reluctant around disabled people that I learned quickly that if you are different, of any minority group, you have to only rely on yourself.

Back
Top Bottom