Modern Behaviour - Prophesied in Comedy

fez

fez

Caporegime
Arguments becoming a commodity on social media.

Have been for ages now. Put something really stupid up on purpose just to get people to comment and say how clever they are and how stupid the video maker is. Put up really bad fake videos and start an argument between the 3 groups. The "thats amazing" group. The "thats fake and stupid group" and the "yes its fake but so amazing because it could be real".

All about getting people disagreeing and engaging.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have been for ages now. Put something really stupid up on purpose just to get people to comment and say how clever they are and how stupid the video maker is. Put up really bad fake videos and start an argument between the 3 groups. The "thats amazing" group. The "thats fake and stupid group" and the "yes its fake but so amazing because it could be real".

All about getting people disagreeing and engaging.

I think you're completely wrong there.;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Part of my life struggle with disability as been how I've been perceived by other people. Most strangers are already reluctant around disabled people that I learned quickly that if you are different, of any minority group, you have to only rely on yourself.
depends how visible your disability is I guess.

Personally I treat everyone the same, apart from women.

Good manners is now too risky, and most people if you offer any help are too scared to take it anyway.
I could see why people take normal behaviour as prejudice, racism, or whatever.

Saw a group of obvious down syndrome people at my local park the other week, most people gave them a wide berth... They are literally the most friendly people you will ever meet, doesn't hurt to give them a smile or a wave
the worlds just cold now.
Being nice to people is just seen as "weirdo behaviour"

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can't resist a gag....so I have to be careful at work as not everything that pops into my head is either relevent to the listeners or even appropriate when it once may have been. Mind you the generation before me had the same thing, I just don't think there was the level of awareness of what those words could mean to someone else.

Or to be to the point - we're now old :D

Soldato
I think a lot of comedy is dumbed down these days.

The devolution of comedy was going from beadles about to showing 30 second clips of people falling over.

Comedy was more directed at peoples actions rather than who they are. It was a combo mix.

We've talked about the disabled comedian, Rosie Jones, in another thread that talks about her disability as though that is the joke. The joke shouldn't be about disability directly. It should be about disabled people in unusual situations.

I've never been a goodie two shoes, as some people might have guessed lol.

So would you rather listen to Rosie babble on about disability or see a recreation sketch of experience I was involved in of 3 disabled guys enter a massage parlour, getting stuck in the security door, and the optics of us sat surrounded by women in lingerie talking about the weather ala Phoenix Nights style? :D

Caporegime
Comedy is subjective innit.

I enjoy a lot of comedy that many others would find offensive, I thoroughly enjoy Jim Jefferies but then I also find Frankie Boyle about as funny as a root canal. Different strokes for different folks.

Unless you enjoy Mrs Browns' Boys. If you enjoy that kind of crap then please never ever procreate.

Soldato
I think you're all talking..........

t0tvKwh.jpeg

Soldato
A good example of modern behaviour prophesised by comedy is the proliferation of Crocs, those godforsaken plastic shoe things.

In the movie Idiocracy everyone wears Crocs because the costume designer had a limited budget and thought the cheap plastic shoes by a startup company were futuristic yet too stupid looking to ever become popular in real life.

Soldato
I think a lot of comedy is dumbed down these days.

I disagree... If you look at a comedian like Billy Connolly for for example... He's just so naturally funny without being an arse hole about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree... If you look at a comedian like Billy Connolly for for example... He's just so naturally funny without being an arse hole about it.

I wouldn't call Billy Connolly a modern comedian. He's one the ones from the good days.

I watch a lot of American reaction channels and they usually react to videos their members suggestions. When it comes to comedy 90% are comedians of the old days, the Two Ronnies, Billy Connolly, Benny Hill etc, even Bernard Manning and Roy "Chubby" Brown have made an appearance.

It also interesting that some of our old controversial shows like Love Thy Neighbour, In Sickness and In Health, and Mind Your Language, have been reacted to by mostly Black reaction channels. They appreciate the honesty and comedy of the situation.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not a comparison I would draw!
Because it's a really bad comparison.

It's actually quite disturbing that you would make such a comparison.

Last edited:
Soldato
A good example of modern behaviour prophesised by comedy is the proliferation of Crocs, those godforsaken plastic shoe things.

In the movie Idiocracy everyone wears Crocs because the costume designer had a limited budget and thought the cheap plastic shoes by a startup company were futuristic yet too stupid looking to ever become popular in real life.
tbf that movie was about as good of a future prediction as we could ask for.

Back
Top Bottom