Modern/futuristic/cyberpunk CRPGs for (Steam deck)

Soldato
Started playing BG3 with a few mates a couple of months ago, which has really gotten me into a CRPG mood - I've been playing through Divinity Original Sin on the Steam Deck to scratch the itch between the times we can all get on to play together, but I was wondering if there are any similar games in a more modern/futuristic/cyberpunk setting?

I've played the Shadowrun games, but they're pretty short, and I have Wasteland 2 (which is a post apocalyptic type setting?) and I think I have one of the Xcom games in my library too.

Anything I should look at picking up?

Associate
I really enjoyed this and prophecy. Also playing grim dawn on the Xbox, but think it would have been better on PC

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
Wastleand 3

Rogue trader looks good, didn't realise that was turn based. Wasteland 3 I'll give a go once I've played 2 :) Thanks

I really enjoyed this and prophecy. Also playing grim dawn on the Xbox, but think it would have been better on PC

I have Grim Dawn on GOG, but I couldn't get it running on the deck; that being said, I started it a few years ago, and seem to remember it used quite a few key bindings, so not sure how controller friendly it is - it's also realtime rather than turn based, as is that WH40K game :(

Otherwise the obvious answer would be The Ascent :)

Associate
There's a couple more Warhammer 40k games that might be worth checking out, Mechanicus and Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, both XCOM style games.

Mechanicus will have controller support as it released on the consoles, Chaos Gate I can't remember if it did but I believe is actually releasing on consoles in the coming days, so it might be something that's now implemented.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, those look like fun :D

Mechanicus is deck verified, but chaos gate shows unsupported due to graphics settings :(

I've wishlisted anyway, will keep an eye on it in case it gets some updates after the console release.

Nice selection to get started with there, cheers peeps :)

Soldato
Damn, ok thanks :s

Bloody good game though. Unfortunately people will say oh the game runs great on deck because they can get a 30 FPS on low settings when nothing is happening. But as soon as there is some action it's like into the teens.

I have a 4090 and the game utilises all the GPU at 4k so that should say a bit. It could be optimisation thing. I don't know to be honest

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It looks like a game I'd be happy to play on PC anyway, so might wait till it's on sale, and I can always stream to the deck when I'm at home anyway.

Just noticed the fallout classic collection is on sale at fanatical for less than the price of a pint, might pick that one up :)

Soldato
Baldurs Gate II is 'gold' verified in protondb but not tried personally.

Not sure how Arpgs snuck in here as 'similar' to a crpgs though. Chaos Gate again is not a crpg at all but still a good game.

Worth checking the old classics like planescspe torment, Icewind dale etc but again no first hand experience on deck.

Associate
I almost forgot about this and really enjoyed it

Soldato
OP
Does : Disco Elysium - The Final Cut
fall in to this category?

I have that on GOG actually, I'll see if I can get it working on the Deck

I almost forgot about this and really enjoyed it

That looks interesting, thanks!

Soldato
Rogue trader looks good, didn't realise that was turn based. Wasteland 3 I'll give a go once I've played 2 :) Thanks

I have Grim Dawn on GOG, but I couldn't get it running on the deck; that being said, I started it a few years ago, and seem to remember it used quite a few key bindings, so not sure how controller friendly it is - it's also realtime rather than turn based, as is that WH40K game :(

Otherwise the obvious answer would be The Ascent :)

Only just noticed you said you wanted to play the games on steam deck, I have tried the game I recommend on steam deck but Shadow run returns is another nice rpg that should run well.

Back
Top Bottom