• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Nk0zT4F.jpg

Circuit de Monaco

When was the track built?

In 1215, sort of – that’s when Monaco was first established as a colony of Genoa.

When was its first Grand Prix?
It was 1929 when racing engines first reverberated around the Principality, after cigarette manufacturer Antony Noghes decided to organise a race with his pals from the Automobile Club de Monaco. The race was part of the calendar in the first year of the Formula 1 World Championship in 1950, and hasn’t been off it since 1955.

What’s the circuit like?
Incredibly narrow and totally iconic. Nelson Piquet memorably described driving around Monaco as “like riding a bicycle around your living room”… which is fair. Despite that, it’s a challenge that nearly all drivers love, forcing them to put their skills on the line and rewarding millimetric accuracy. Overtaking on the tight streets is harder, however, with the 2003 Grand Prix witnessing a grand total of zero passing moves!
Source: FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2022

TV Schedules

Practice 1: 13:00 (coverage starts 12:30) Practice 2: 16:00 (coverage starts 15:45) Practice 3: 12:00 (coverage starts 11:45) Qualifying: 15:00 (coverage starts 14:00) Race: 14:00 (coverage starts 12:30)

Channel 4 Highlights
Qualifying highlights: 22:00 Race highlights: 18:30

Selected other weekend action
Formula 2 practice: 16:05 Thursday Sky F1 Driver's press conference 1: 9:30 Friday Sky F1 Formula 2 qualifying: 10:35 Friday Sky F1 Driver's press conference 2: 11:35 Friday Sky F1 Indy 500 practice: 18:15 Friday Sky F1 Formula 2 Sprint Race: 16:35 Saturday Sky F1 Formula 2 Feature Race: 8:45 Sunday Sky F1 BTCC Thruxton race 1: 11:40 Sunday ITV4 BTCC Thruxton race 2: 14:40 Sunday ITV4 BTCC Thruxton race 3: 17:20 Sunday ITV4 Indianapolis 500: 17:45 Sunday Sky Action & Sky F1 (coverage starts 15:45 on Sky Action and continues from there. Coverage on Sky F1 starts at 17:30).

Track Diagram and Information
e47QRR9.jpg

Weather Forecast
oNI4CPQ.jpg
(Take with a pinch of salt as different forecasts are wildly different for the weekend)

Championship Standings
tcKoJOB.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Understandably at this point in the week some saying there could be showers (Weather.com, BBC, AccuWeather), some saying there's very little chance (Met Office, Meteo France) so like I said take with a pinch of salt until closer to the race.

I have to say it's one of my favourite weekends. Obviously the race will be boring (but at least the Indy 500 follows it), but as I've said before, qualifying is one of the best sessions of the year - or was with previous cars, it's not quite as a fun with the big heavy hybrids, and these 2022 cars still look quite ponderous in slow corners due to even more weight and less efficient aero compared to the 2021 cars (though most cars are a bit shorter, which might help).

Soldato
I agree the qualifying can be interesting, and I'll definitely watch that, but I'm not sure the qualifying is enough to offset just how bad the race is. In fact I'm sure it's not :cry:

Soldato
OP
I agree the qualifying can be interesting, and I'll definitely watch that, but I'm not sure the qualifying is enough to offset just how bad the race is. In fact I'm sure it's not :cry:
Not really no, at least in most cases. Inclement weather usually spices it up a bit though, and I remember the 2011 race in the dry, where Vettel was on severely worn tyres holding off Alonso and Button and we were getting ready for a grandstand finish, until a crash involving Sutil, Hamilton, Alguersuari and Petrov brought out a red flag and he was able to change tyres.

I had the Monaco Grand Prix of 1996 on VHS for years and always enjoyed watching that, but off the top of my head even then the only driver to genuinely overtake another in equal conditions (eg same tyres) that race was the eventual winner Olivier Panis, who did it twice (once on Brundle coming out of La Rasscasse of all places! And then a robust move (which likely would have got him a penalty today) on Irvine into Station/Loews/Fairmont/Grand Hotel hairpin).

Soldato
Would love a wet race. A wet Monaco was one of my favourite tracks. Also fun to ride around on motorbike where you can, whilst visiting. Shame there isn't a good way to improve the actual racing here.

Associate
The driver who starts on Pole’ can make his car appear even wider, and therupon start the usual Monaco train.
As previously mentioned, rain can sort this out somewhat, and precipitate a Safety Car. Ricciardo won here without a full power capability.
But F1 will be sure to conjure up a surprise or two

Soldato
Understandably at this point in the week some saying there could be showers (Weather.com, BBC, AccuWeather), some saying there's very little chance (Met Office, Meteo France) so like I said take with a pinch of salt until closer to the race.

I have to say it's one of my favourite weekends. Obviously the race will be boring (but at least the Indy 500 follows it), but as I've said before, qualifying is one of the best sessions of the year - or was with previous cars, it's not quite as a fun with the big heavy hybrids, and these 2022 cars still look quite ponderous in slow corners due to even more weight and less efficient aero compared to the 2021 cars (though most cars are a bit shorter, which might help).
Agreed, one of my favourite weekends too, no way should it be removed from the calendar either just to appease some 'fans' who judge the sport just by the number of overtakes in the race..

Soldato
Watched F1 most of my life, that I can remember anyway so this track holds a special place in my heart and indeed in the history of F1, for that reason (nostalgia?) I would hate to see it go.

With larger cars the chance of seeing someone do a "Mansel" out of the tunnel is rarer and rarer, the only real actian takes place in the pits, for this reason I would like to see it gone, it does pain me to say that though.

Man of Honour
Watched F1 most of my life, that I can remember anyway so this track holds a special place in my heart and indeed in the history of F1, for that reason (nostalgia?) I would hate to see it go.

With larger cars the chance of seeing someone do a "Mansel" out of the tunnel is rarer and rarer, the only real actian takes place in the pits, for this reason I would like to see it gone, it does pain me to say that though.

Monaco for the last few years with the new larger cars just looks somewhat awkward and embarrassing for the sport. It’s just a parade of cars at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom