Mondeo TD "screw mod"?

Caporegime
what is about overclockers feeling the need to **** on everybodys parade. Unless you've bought a BMW or splashed cash on a nice motor you can forget positive comments most of the time

Soldato
I'm surprised you have to use ANY turbo to sit at 70.

No wonder the economy isn't that great.

At 70 on my 306 you are using the turbo a little bit, by 80 you're using it quite a lot and over that you are using it heavily. Don't forgot you get a small power band do it comes in quite fast at typical motorway speeds

I personally find the economy to be very good at 80mph and below, but cross to 85mph or more and it drops off to a point where it is noticeable.

Caporegime
OP
its nearly as bad as the console forum in here at times :(

Well, we do have an ignore list........

I've had a reply from a chap on the Mondeo.org forum, he reckons he's getting considerable performance increase with no more than a 5mpg penalty - I can live with that!

I'll twiddle my spanners over the weekend and see what happens (Boom! :eek::D)

Nobody else tried this then? No? :confused:

Associate
1179570496-fuel_pump_adjustment.jpg

looking at that pic the hidden screw on the left will only raise the engine idle speed. only adjust if you want to increase/ decrease idle speed.

The antistall is the one the throttle lever sits on at rest ( just behind the damper with the blue paint on it) adjusting that will cause the engine revs to 'hang' or come down very slowly. Only adjust this if you are having problems with the engine stalling.

The damper on the throttle lever(centre) probably does nothing on something that old anyway, but when new it would have made the throttle smoother.

The screw on the right is the max revs screw, if the car has a rev counter you can adjust this so the revs are higher , say around 5,500 max , veh stopped and out of gear. Go over this and your engine will more than likly not last too long.
Before doing this make sure you check to see if the lever is hiting it , get someone to put their foot on the throttle, engine off, and adjust the cable clip .If it still isnt hitting the screw you may find the cable itself is over streched and needs replacing.

To raise the fueling you have to remove the black plug (centre bottom ) and turn engine till you see a small allen screw inside a little hole, turn it clockwise 1/4 turn max. Off boost fueling is done on the exterior but you probably wont need to do that.You can also increase the ignition advance on the rear of the pump next to the injector pipe outlets near the block , turn this clockwise 1/4 turn max. on the later models this is protected by a shield and you wont be able to do it, all of the above can be used on any engine with this pump.
Dont go mad with the settings for the fuel or it'll smoke like a pig and you'll get pulled by the police.

Good luck
RD

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
1179570496-fuel_pump_adjustment.jpg

looking at that pic the hidden screw on the left will only raise the antistall and cause the engine revs to 'hang' or come down very slowly. Only adjust this if you are having problems with the engine stalling.

The damper on the throttle lever(centre) probably does nothing on something that old anyway, but when new it would have made the throttle smoother.

The screw on the right is the max revs screw, if the car has a rev counter you can adjust this so the revs are higher , say around 5,500 max , veh stopped and out of gear. Go over this and your engine will more than likly not last too long.
Before doing this make sure you check to see if the lever is hiting it , get someone to put their foot on the throttle, engine off, and adjust the cable clip .If it still isnt hitting the screw you may find the cable itself is over streched and needs replacing.

To raise the fueling you have to remove the black plug (centre bottom ) and turn engine till you see a small allen screw inside a little hole, turn it clockwise 1/4 turn. Off boost fueling is done on the exterior but you probably wont need to do that.You can also increase the ignition advance on the rear of the pump next to the injector pipe outlets near the block , turn this clockwise 1/4 turn . on the later models this is protected by a shield and you wont be able to do it, all of the above can be used on any engine with this pump.
Dont go mad with the settings for the fuel or it'll smoke like a pig and you'll get pulled by the police.

Good luck
RD

Thank you, most interesting. :)

Back
Top Bottom