Monitor Advice....out of touch

Soldato
well.....i've stopped myself since the post haha, i dunno why im finding it so hard to pull the trigger on the right monitor.
It's a confusing mess, TN, IPS, VA, OLED, QD-OLED, far too much choice, sizes, curved or flat, glossy finish or Matte.

I need a new monitor too, I do like the look of the MSI one, I'll pull the trigger if I pass this course I'm on

Soldato
what we think?

It looks like a great monitor with a high spec. It's got good reviews and has won some awards. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

The only thing I'm thinking is you have an NVIDIA graphics card, which would normally go best with a G-Sync monitor, whereas this monitor is a AMD FreeSync Premium Pro. I'm not sure if that really matters though.

Manufacturer page here:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's a confusing mess, TN, IPS, VA, OLED, QD-OLED, far too much choice, sizes, curved or flat, glossy finish or Matte.

I need a new monitor too, I do like the look of the MSI one, I'll pull the trigger if I pass this course I'm on

yeah won't lie...a lot of it is very confusing to me, i watch the vids on youtube and read all posts etc, but its like..........huh?

i mean, all it's gotta be is for xbox series x (so hdmi 2.1) & my 3080 ti for driving sim games etc, 4k & 32" & with speakers (as dont always like headphones) & using for general internet stuff non gaming - i seem to find theperfect monitor then it has something not on it which i did want.. lol i know speakers not gonna be mega, but i dont mind just bit of sound at least.

above seemed perfect for me, size etc, but again dont have speakers? i dont know much about soundbar stuff if hooks up etc but didnt really want to buy one

Associate
OP
It looks like a great monitor with a high spec. It's got good reviews and has won some awards. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

The only thing I'm thinking is you have an NVIDIA graphics card, which would normally go best with a G-Sync monitor, whereas this monitor is a AMD FreeSync Premium Pro. I'm not sure if that really matters though.

Manufacturer page here:

ah i didnt see this, but then i wouldnt know either lol

Associate
OP
forgot to say.........do many monitors come with remotes etc nowadays? what it is....it's bit hard for me as to where i sit due to disability to keep reaching to mess with volumes or settings? or can you do the settings via programmes on screen?

TV would prob be best lol

Soldato
ah i didnt see this, but then i wouldnt know either lol

I'm actually not a gamer, more a tech and monitor enthusiast. I think it would be a great monitor. If anything, it looks a bit overspecced for your needs, as I don't think driving sims would be that intensive re framerates, and that's where G-SYNC or FreeSync comes in, to avoid screen tearing at the high refresh rates. G-SYNC is proprietary NVIDIA, whereas FreeSync is AMD developed and an open standard, so FreeSync would still work for you, but not FreeSync Premium Pro, which requires AMD Radeon graphics in your PC as well.

Associate
OP
I'm actually not a gamer, more a tech and monitor enthusiast. I think it would be a great monitor. If anything, it looks a bit overspecced for your needs, as I don't think driving sims would be that intensive re framerates, and that's where G-SYNC or FreeSync comes in, to avoid screen tearing at the high refresh rates. G-SYNC is proprietary NVIDIA, whereas FreeSync is AMD developed and an open standard, so FreeSync would still work for you, but not FreeSync Premium Pro, which requires AMD Radeon graphics in your PC as well.

prob will give it a miss

AW3225QF just wish i could work out how get around sound on this as such, seems bit a lot of people saying "buy this adapter" and "these cables" - which ideally i did not want to do​

Associate
Your mb has both optical out and audio jacks- just buy some small speakers (which will probably be much better than those on any monitor)

Associate
OP
Your mb has both optical out and audio jacks- just buy some small speakers (which will probably be much better than those on any monitor)

Hi, ah ok, have been reading a lot on other places & everyone saying its a headache still, esp with console. plus i didn't really want speakers/soundbar on desk as such

i do appreciate all help everyone, sorry to be a pain

Associate
oled is the best for a gamer due to the oled tech and 120hz or more
I got the lg 4k 48inch 120hz at a sale and it was cheaper than current gaming monitor prices by a lot.
I play mainly arpg so its been amazing to play on.
I figured I could use it both as a monitor and tv and its been working out well.

whenever next I upgrade its likely to be the same size or even bigger.
May need a bigger desk then tho

Associate
OP
With 4K there is a trade-off in gaming performance, but I would go 4K myself.

OCUK has a few 32" monitors in your budget. I would go 32".

Gigabyte 32" M32U 3840x2160 4K SS IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync KVM HDR Widescreen Gaming Monitor £688.99

MSI 32" MAG 323UPF 3840x2160 Rapid IPS 160Hz 1ms FreeSync HDMI 2.1 HDR KVM Widescreen Gaming Monitor £799.00

Corsair XENEON 32" 32UHD144-A 3840x2160 IPS 144Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor £849.98

ASUS 32" ROG Strix XG32UQ 3840x2160 IPS 160Hz 1ms FreeSync HDMI 2.1 HDR600 Widescreen Gaming Monitor £998.99

All 32" monitors:

finally after lots more looking around etc, i think i'm gonna settle on your suggestion of the

it's decent price as it's dropped now to £580, g-sync, 4k, has speakers, hdmi 2.1, and i think looks pretty smart for my set up, not too loud gamer look style.

I'd love an OLED....but.....i just cant settle on one tbh & for running a 3080 ti etc, i think from what im reading and feedback, it's going to be an overkill, plus the oled ones i;m looking at are like £1200+ up

what do you all think?

Soldato
Associate
finally after lots more looking around etc, i think i'm gonna settle on your suggestion of the

it's decent price as it's dropped now to £580, g-sync, 4k, has speakers, hdmi 2.1, and i think looks pretty smart for my set up, not too loud gamer look style.

I'd love an OLED....but.....i just cant settle on one tbh & for running a 3080 ti etc, i think from what im reading and feedback, it's going to be an overkill, plus the oled ones i;m looking at are like £1200+ up

what do you all think?
glad you got it sorted mate and I think your be very happy with the Gigabyte monitor

Back
Top Bottom