Monitor Choice - Asus, Dell or Alienware

Associate
Hi guys!

I've just upgraded to a 2080 so I'm now looking to find a monitor that follow suit.. Ideally I'd like it to be 27"~ with relevant features to take full advantage.

I've been looking everywhere for good recommendations and so far I'm stuck between these:

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
Dell S2716DG
Alienware AW2518H

Does anyone have any first hand recommendations based on those?! I'd rather have a good amount of knowledge before spending so much! In the future I'm aiming to run 2 of the same, just to expand multitasking etc.

Soldato
Looking for a new monitor myself and TBH I find the current state of play with monitors shockingly bad in the £500-£750 range.

Not found a single one without some serious compromise that is so off putting that I just can't bring myself to replace what I already have.

All I want is a 32 inch, 1440p, IPS 100Hz+ panel (ideally with with G-sync) but they're just not out there, Not interested in a curved screen, 27in or Ultra wide panel either.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I’m really struggling. Those 3 seem to be the most favoured but it’d be great to hear some honest, first hand reviews!

Soldato
Having used Dell monitors for years my first choice would be the S2716DG or the AW2518H.

I'll definitely never buy an ASUS monitor due to their shocking customer service. Many seem to though without any issues.

3 year no quibble warranty with Dell, or questionable customer service from a company who try and riggle out of RMA's.

No brainer really.

Soldato
questionable customer service from a company who try and riggle out of RMA's.

I wouldn't say that - bought a £2K Alienware from them. First and last Dell purchase I'll ever make.

Arrived with a broken hard drive, but my got the hassle trying to get it sorted. Endless phone calls with people that had no idea what they were talking about. Then, they said they'd send me the hard drive and have me fit it myself. Yeah, I can absolutely do that, but on a 2K product, I'm not doing it myself.

Took me 2 months to get a refund.

Soldato
The Dell monitors I've had have lasted years. Just recently chucked out a 2408 as it started buzzing (owned for 10 or 11 years) and still have a 2711. I now have the S2716DG which is good although it does have an issue sometimes that seems common at the moment with monitors using the same panel I think. Not happened for about 7 days then twice in two days (see the last page of S2716DG thread - vertical column of pixels seem to just disappear making chars malformed - off and on sorts it).

Associate
Had the opposite with dell customer support, absolutely spot on and one of the best going. This was a year ago....

Have both dell and AW monitors on my desk with no complaints for either.

Soldato
I wouldn't say that - bought a £2K Alienware from them. First and last Dell purchase I'll ever make.

Arrived with a broken hard drive, but my got the hassle trying to get it sorted. Endless phone calls with people that had no idea what they were talking about. Then, they said they'd send me the hard drive and have me fit it myself. Yeah, I can absolutely do that, but on a 2K product, I'm not doing it myself.

Took me 2 months to get a refund.

Sounds like you were really unlucky man. My experience has always been the opposite. Will keep going back to Dell for monitors purely for the 3 year warranty peace of mind and their customer support.

I’ve read stories of people receiving brand new monitors with stuck pixels only to be told this is somtimes expected, and isn’t something covered by the warranty. This is mad! If you’ve spent £500+ there’s no way the customer should be the one to compromise.

Soldato
Sounds like you were really unlucky man. My experience has always been the opposite. Will keep going back to Dell for monitors purely for the 3 year warranty peace of mind and their customer support.

I’ve read stories of people receiving brand new monitors with stuck pixels only to be told this is somtimes expected, and isn’t something covered by the warranty. This is mad! If you’ve spent £500+ there’s no way the customer should be the one to compromise.

I guess its luck of the draw. Asus were pretty good customer service for me. Bought a 4K Gsync second hand but from a popular online retailer, and it died - Amazon would only refund me but Asus swapped it out with another

DPD turned up and swapped it on the door

It's what Dell should have done

Back
Top Bottom