Monitor madness

Caporegime
guys, please can I just remind you that discussion of competitors and their pricing is against the rules of the forum. Please keep this on topic about the models, and not the prices. thanks

Sorry, didn't realise pricing was banned as well.

Must actually read the rules one day :o

However, I do suggest that in comparing two monitors you have to look at price and that has to mean the cheapest you can buy in the high street/internet.

So in this case, I had to use price to answer his question. Looking at OCUK prices (which there is nothing wrong) the Dell wins hands down over the Samsung. Looking elsewhere on the net, the Samsung price makes the Dell not worth the extra money and I would pick the Samsung.

basically mate this it lay-ed out on the line,

1. You go for the 215tw just because your desperate to get that extra inch over the dell 2007wfp and suffer major input lag issues, which is a bummer as other than that the screen is stunning.

2. You go for a 22" panel which will be a TN panel so you will have limited viewing angles and also many 22" panels suffer from back light bleed, in fact from all the tft's I've ever owned the 22"' panel's have been the most pain in the back side for me (but then I am fussy :p)

3. You go for a decent 20" panel like the 2007wfp that has no viewing angle issues and has good colour reproduction, yes it's only 20" but it's the same res as a 22" and considering your used to using a 17" crt it will still be a MASSIVE upgrade, you won't be disappointed.

4. If your temped with option 2, therefore purchasing a TN panel then you may as well whack an extra £50 on your top end of your budget and get the 24" sammy, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-054-SA, but remember this panel is 1920x1200 so your system may not be upto playing your games at the native res.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
3. You go for a decent 20" panel like the 2007wfp that has no viewing angle issues and has good colour reproduction, yes it's only 20" but it's the same res as a 22" and considering your used to using a 17" crt it will still be a MASSIVE upgrade, you won't be disappointed.

I think thats the one for me, i want quality colour rendition :)
I'm not totally sold on the whole wide-screen feature though. Surely the 2007FP will provide a higher total res than the 2007WFP ?

Just out of interest, how bad a picture would a 2007FP produce with a 1024x768 input ? Bad, or very bad ? ;)

Is there a reason why the 2007WFP gets all the attention over the 2007FP ? Just the fashion to have a widescreen monitor at the moment ?

There seems to be an old firmware issue with the 2007FP as well. Would i be correct in thinking that monitors bought now would be equipped with the latest firmware (A05 i believe). If not, can it be updated manually ?

Thanks once again.

C64

C64

Soldato
I think the bad news or good if you are loaded,is that the spva 24" screens are the only safe bet.
I have been sold on the dell 2407-hc but won't pay a penny over £400 delivered lol.

Associate
OP
I think the bad news or good if you are loaded,is that the spva 24" screens are the only safe bet.
I have been sold on the dell 2407-hc but won't pay a penny over £400 delivered lol.

Really ? Hmm. Not sure if i really want to spend £400 :(
Are there any smaller panels using the same technology ?

C64

C64

Soldato
Well not really no there's a few but they are £280+ theres the dell 2007wfp 20 inch widescreen or 2007fp 4:3 other than those the good screens seem to be very expensive.

Caporegime
Well not really no there's a few but they are £280+ theres the dell 2007wfp 20 inch widescreen or 2007fp 4:3 other than those the good screens seem to be very expensive.

Even my NEC 20" ws with it's S-IPS screen lists at over £300. However I blagged it second hand for £120 so I could live with that :D

Basically you get what you pay for. High quality 20" screens don't come cheap and tbh it's worth the extra to get the 24" version unless you find a bargain.

If colour rendition is more important than gaming lag on fps then the Samsung 21" still gets my vote. The colour rendition on my 20" NEC is fantastic and one of the best - see www.tftcentral.co.uk

For the best mix for games and colour, and for the money at list price, the dell 20" screens either normal or ws are the best bet if you can't live with the Samung 21" faults IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom