Monitor Upgrade.

Associate
OP
well the £600 notes would come from being able to tell the wife that I could actually get a working PC out of parts from what I use to upgrade the old one. I can put all of the parts new parts inside my current case so it even looks like it does currently she wont know any different. My 7 year old is already going on about the fact that she will need her own computer soon (I do tend to agree) and so that might score some points towards more cash my way.

I dont suppose a cheaper option right now is another 970 with my current motherboard and do the monitor upgrade now and then wait say 6 month and spend the 1200 on a complete new system?

Soldato
well the £600 notes would come from being able to tell the wife that I could actually get a working PC out of parts from what I use to upgrade the old one. I can put all of the parts new parts inside my current case so it even looks like it does currently she wont know any different. My 7 year old is already going on about the fact that she will need her own computer soon (I do tend to agree) and so that might score some points towards more cash my way.
I know the feeling - i built my son an ivybrdge build last year out of parts i had - as he was appearing on mine too often (better than my rig in motherboard/CPU). And i suspect my present rig will go to my daughter very soon - giving me the excuse i need to finally build my own Ryzen Rig.

I dont suppose a cheaper option right now is another 970 with my current motherboard and do the monitor upgrade now and then wait say 6 month and spend the 1200 on a complete new system?
Another 970 as in sli? (not a fan - so you won't get an impartial response - i'm a single card solution builder after trying and suffering sli)

And although it's cheaper i'm not sure it's the right interim upgrade (despite my bias) given that you want to boost your system and upgrade your whole system relatively soon. The GTX 1070 will still be a strong card in 6 months time and would still sit comfortably in the build - it's only 6 months after all.

Associate
OP
yeap, understood again mate. I suppose the issue I have is opportunities like this do not come around for me often. I spent about £1300 on my original build about 6 years ago and then I spent another £600 or so about 2 years ago. The wife knows I have needed a new pc for some time and she also knows I want a new monitor. It might be time to just admit I need like around 2k or so now to get the build I want and then I can at least say everything I have right now can be used as is for the daughter.

How would say you spend around 2k right now to get everything new? (I suppose my upper limit would be around the 2.3k mark, if that gives me a PC that will like the one I have now last me another 6 years I could afford to spend that little bit more)

Soldato
when you say everything - is there nothing that you would keep?

And splitting the build may make it easier to swallow... No harm in doing that.

Associate
OP
I could buy a really cheap case and the same would be true of the power supply because I can use my current ones at least for the new rig so anything cheap in that department would do. I have an old 60gb agility drive around somewhere which I could use to at least provide another working pc so that would mean I could reuse the SSD as well.

SO, I need new CPU, Memory, motherboard, GPU, monitor. and the other stuff that I can get cheap to replace what I will use for the main build with a budget of around 2.3k to include the monitor.

Soldato
If i've understood you correctly- you'll be using your existing:
  • case
  • cooler
  • SSD
  • PSU
  • and you'll spec cheaper case/PSU at a later date when you rebuild the rig for your kiddy?
With that in mind your 2.3k budget is huge (but doesn't need spending) - i've still specced it around a gaming rig so kept the Ryzen 1600 but you could easily swap this for a Ryzen 1700 (in fact i'll add a second build with it in below) - but have bumped up the gfx to a GTX 1080 as this will really compliment the G-sync 1440p monitor.

Again, I've added 3200MHz memory as i've got 2 sets of this memory running at 3000MHz and I'm hopeful of hitting 3200MHz with tweaks (especially with future BIOS updates) - can't guarantee yours will - but you can change this to Team Group 3000MHz memory at only £120.

So Ryzen 1600 GTX 1800 build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,685.54
(includes shipping: £12.60)

And the Ryzen 1700 build (still way under your 2.3K limit - but you will have to buy your daughter a case and PSU - but you will still come way under your 2.3k budget)

Total: £1,785.54
(includes shipping: £12.60)

These are both beasts - you've gone form a £600 GTX 1070 upgrade to a mighty specced rig that should last you a considerable amount of time. ANd both under your budget - even allowing for cheap components you would have to buy for your kids rig...

Last edited:
Soldato
It's late, so im confused over what the budget is lol, but for the original £600 then something like this maybe? The board takes 4 sticks so could pay more for a quad or get dual then decides on how much more ram you fancy, the screen while nice, might not be deal for an nvidia card, but they only have freesync listed for ultra wide.

Total: £609.06
(includes shipping: £14.10)

Or get a gpu and monitor

Total: £1,173.26
(includes shipping: £15.30)

Maybe not 4K for a 600 quid budget.

Back
Top Bottom