Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC)

Soldato
I took him down this morning, a good sleep probably helped. I decided to hunt Bazelgeuse so I could upgrade the power/armour charms to talons. I've never had such trouble fighting anything but Bazelgeuse now! He is constantly protected with his attacks, not easy to get up to deal enough damage each time. I wiped but then second attempt I managed to capture him, I don't think I could handle slaying him.

So after being equipped with the talons and charms, Nergigante was sort of easy. I didn't die once until he was almost dead, then he killed me twice and I felt lucky to slay him.

I'm sort of now wondering where to go from here in regards to equipment / weapons upgrades.

Soldato
Gutted, I never had chance to grab the Ignition Great Sword :(

Probably missed out on many other things from this Spring Event, but I do have Aloy's Bow and Outfit along with the Watcher Palico...

Soldato
Bought this yesterday on XB1 from the Deals with Gold for £32. Fired it up last night done the intro stuff and the first hunt but the game definitely does not hold your hand very well lol. I picked some chain gun thing to start with, it seemed a bit lacklustre to say the least, then after completing the quest i was told to go craft stuff by the NPC, there is no real clear tutorial at this point other than a few pop up screens etc, i ended up wasting a lot of materials making the same stuff i think lol. I guess it hardly matters as these are intro quests and im guessing the Materials are probably very common.

Is there a guide anyone recommends to get me into this game? i like the idea of the game, killing stuff to harvest to get stronger to kill harder stuff repeat etc, but its quite overwhelming when you start as its not obvious and the UI is taking me some getting used to.

Associate
Bought this yesterday on XB1 from the Deals with Gold for £32. Fired it up last night done the intro stuff and the first hunt but the game definitely does not hold your hand very well lol. I picked some chain gun thing to start with, it seemed a bit lacklustre to say the least, then after completing the quest i was told to go craft stuff by the NPC, there is no real clear tutorial at this point other than a few pop up screens etc, i ended up wasting a lot of materials making the same stuff i think lol. I guess it hardly matters as these are intro quests and im guessing the Materials are probably very common.

Is there a guide anyone recommends to get me into this game? i like the idea of the game, killing stuff to harvest to get stronger to kill harder stuff repeat etc, but its quite overwhelming when you start as its not obvious and the UI is taking me some getting used to.

I would say dont waste loads of money or materials when you are low level. Just make armor that suits the level and monsters you are facing. Once you have completed the story mode THEN the true grinding begins:

farming monsters to create weapons, armor (that is the best to use against certain monsters i.e. anti bleeding, poison, fire, thunder etc), creating load outs for hunts, doing the optional quests to get tools/special weapons, augmenting weapons, jewel farming, quest hubs etc. Experimenting and learning weapons is great as well. I've spend and obscene amount of time in the game and still haven't used or mastered all of them. I usually main great sword, hammer, dual blades and bow.

Soldato
Pro-tip also.

Go into the training room and try all the weapons out.

EDIT: I originally started with the hammer, based on the fact I liked the high damage number it showed. Ignore that number for now.

I found the weapon strangely boring and unwieldy. I went on to try the Light Bow-Gun and Heavy Bow Gun. Not keen on either, but I can use them, along with the Bow (Which is actually quite fun, and I'm working toward a Bow armor set so I can properly switch between the Bow and my current weapon).
I finally settled on the Switch Axe, it's epic, I love it! I am now aiming to learn the Charge Blade just for Dante's sword...

So, yeah, go to the training area and practice using and moving with each weapon, they are all different.

Last edited:
Soldato
Urgh...

Can anyone help me out here... I've been hunting a "Wyvern Gem" all day, and nothing is dropping it! Although, on the plus side, I finally got my Divine Blessing Amulet thingy to level 2...

I need that Gem, well, I want at least 2... But I'm going for Teostra's Arx as it's damn awesome looking and I want to play with blast (Teostra was surprisingly easy in Code:Red).

Associate
For me the fastest way to farm Wyvern Gems was to take on gold reward investigation to hunt/capture Jyuratodus.
There are monsters that you get it more frequently as a reward in an investigation, but I find Jyuratodus one of the quickest monsters to take down.

Another fairly good monster to get it from is Radobaan, chop it's tail and carve it then leave the zone and repeat... it's quite an easy part to break if you have a weapon with high sharpness.

Also if you haven't got it on, get & equip the Plunderblade for your Palico!
You can get tons of extra rewards with that equipped which speeds up farming so much.

Soldato
For me the fastest way to farm Wyvern Gems was to take on gold reward investigation to hunt/capture Jyuratodus.
There are monsters that you get it more frequently as a reward in an investigation, but I find Jyuratodus one of the quickest monsters to take down.

Another fairly good monster to get it from is Radobaan, chop it's tail and carve it then leave the zone and repeat... it's quite an easy part to break if you have a weapon with high sharpness.

Also if you haven't got it on, get & equip the Plunderblade for your Palico!
You can get tons of extra rewards with that equipped which speeds up farming so much.

Radobaan... Perfect! That's part of this weeks Limited Bounties.

Also, Plunderblade? I don't have that...

Soldato
Well, I got my Wyvern Gem to get Teostra's 1st Switch Axe...

And then I went to fight the Story Teostra... Am I imagining it, or is the event Teostra far far weaker?

Soldato
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - Teaser Trailer

Introducing Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, a massive expansion coming to #MHWorld in Autumn 2019.

Monster Hunter: World – The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Collaboration Trailer

Worlds will collide with the next big Monster Hunter: World collaboration – The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt! Step into the shoes of Geralt of Rivia and leverage his expert monster hunting skills as you take on a unique quest line in Monster Hunter: World. Free title update coming to #MHWorld in early 2019.

Associate
I didn't think that was possible at the beginning as it's a pretty linear story to unlock each of the hunting areas. If you don't have one of the story missions active then there should be an exclamation mark on your minimap in the camp that often lead to people who give story missions.

When you go to leave the safety of the village to hunt, it'll usually give you various missions options when you go to leave town:
  • Assigned - These are the missions that progress the story and unlock new areas & monsters for you to hunt.
  • Optional - These as the name suggests are optional hunts you can go on to kill monsters, fight in the area or steal eggs from and can be repeated endlessly.
  • Investigations - These are hunting jobs that you'll pick up in a village from a specific NPC, you'll either be tasked to capture or slay one or multiple monsters within a time limit and get extra rewards for doing it. These have a limited number of times they can be repeated, however the list often refreshes old investigations back into circulation.
  • Events - These are special hunts, quite often linked to some kind of game cross-over where you can complete missions to earn tokens that are exchanged for special cosmetic gear (e.g. the Ryu outfit).
The mission list tells you if you've already completed something, so if you don't have a mission in the Assigned section that doesn't say completed then you just need to check which of the villages that you've unlocked has a quest giver that you haven't spoken to.

Apart from running around lost, what was the last thing you remember doing?

Back
Top Bottom