• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More GPU price increases!

Associate
The trouble is that price has increased faster than performance the last few years and if it carries on then many gamers will be priced out completely in a few years time.

"if it carries on then many gamers will be priced out completely in a few years time."
I bet that's what they said in Venuzuela as their currency went kaput. Must have been lots of PC gamers/enthusiasts there, Now they're looking for food to feed themselves! :D

The pound/euro/dollar is losing purchasing power due to commodity shortages it's what we traders call instant inflation.

CeX have just reduced their price for the 3080 FE.

The GPU market is NOT FE cards its the NON FE cards which are the real PC GPU market.

AIB's are not gonna want to drop prices now incase crypto goes up again :mad:

Commodity shortage inflation is what's causing the high prices, crypto is only a SMALL part of it!

Associate
What are you going to say when there is when there is a shortage of food in the shops!

It's the older generation that will be hit first.. scalpers will start knocking them off and reselling at inflated prices, with the majority of elderly and medically vulnerable already gone thanks to COVID the price and availability is going to be redic !

Soldato
It's the older generation that will be hit first.. scalpers will start knocking them off and reselling at inflated prices, with the majority of elderly and medically vulnerable already gone thanks to COVID the price and availability is going to be redic !

Considering many working people in England are already having to visit food banks as they cannot afford the constant rising cost of living due to the greed of utility corporations, Landlords constantly raising rent and general tax increases, Englands future is looking very bleak for the 99.9%... but hey at least the .01% i.e ugly fat eton "what what I say jolly hockeysticks what what" handshakers will be ok.

Associate
Just refuse to eat. They will soon lower prices or risk stuff going out of date.

That won't happen, they will sell off stock or just close up the shop like they are doing in Venezuela or Lebanon already. The business will close!

Are you really comparing dumb graphics cards with something as essential as food?

GPUs are just as essential to some people as food.
I looked at a lot of civilizations and how they collapsed and near the point of collapse in all cases the price of staple grains jumped approximately Eight times.
So if you're not looking at the world record Oats price or the high Wheat price then why not?
Its all tied together simply we need the cheap oil supplies from the middle east to keep GPUs and staple foods, metals etc at low prices but after 50 years how much cheap oil is there.

Associate
The world will have gone to hell at that point anyway, so I'll be wielding a shotgun and yelling 'oats man!' as I troll my way towards food.

Yes exactly right we'll be at the Venezuela stage then it will be like hell outside!

Grow my own, my partner's father owns 150 acres. He lets someone else farm it and splits the produce

Difficult to contain food grown in open fields at that time with law and order gone and hordes of starving people around, a bit like todays Venezuela!
Hire private security maybe.

Associate
Those hoping to wait for a cheaper 4080 series will be disappointed as both NVidia and AMD recently indicated their next gen cards will have list prices one full tier higher than their current gen offerings. As we all know from the past 12 months list prices are about 50% of street prices so expect 4080's on the street around £1500-£2000 in 2023 I reckon!! At the end of the day there's a price v time equation that comes into play here too. You can either wait maybe 2 years in the hope prices will drop which means you can't game with optimal settings for 2 years or you can pay inflated prices now for instant gratification and optimal gaming for the next 2 years. As you get older (and many gamers like myself are now in their 50's having started in the Vic20/Commodore/BBC micro/Speccy era) those 2 years take on greater importance!

As for the miners I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing gets banned/shut-down in time due to environmental impact. Given the desperate environmental state of the planet it's pretty hard to justify the vast energy consumption of mining worldwide being wasted on creating something so totally pointless... Capitalist greed is a poor way to run society for sure.

Associate
cant believe how volatile crypto is. some serious money to be made in it. and lost too.........
Yeah, have a small part of my portfolio in it so I can weather the huge price corrections (like the recent May one) but yeah, couldn't imagine the stress if you've invested much more of your money in it!

Back
Top Bottom