• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X details tip up

Soldato
Bit bizzare if true, the enthusiast platform hasn't had a quad for a while and mixing 'skylake' and ''kabylake' in simultaneous launch is a bit of a first

Don
Going forward though the HEDT platform is no longer aligned with the 2P Server platform as I understand it (that has moved to Socket P LGA-3647). Potentially if the socket 2066 that this uses also becomes a new workstation platform (e.g. with single socket Xeon), then there will be customers who still want high clock speed parts at the expense of cores (which would then open the way for a high clocked quad kabylake-x part)

Caporegime
Smell another FX9370 on the horizon, a quad core with a 5Ghz turbo clock going for more than the hexcore with say a 4Ghz turbo clock. AMD will have easily the fastest APUs, by a long long way, around Q3, they'll have an 8 core with seemingly higher turbo boost than any of the current 6+ cores Intel ship within a month or so on the mainstream platform at less than half the current cost of Intel 8 cores.

A crazy high clocked quad core looks like a "look, we can offer something special too", thing just like the FX9370 tried to offer a headline grabbing clock speed even if the overall performance just wasn't there.

Soldato
Only the IPC difference with KBL is already faster than what AMD will be offering, so the FX9370 comparison is slightly moot :).

That's before even considering any further process refinement that might go into KBL-X.
Time will tell, numbers don't lie.

Soldato
Only the IPC difference with KBL is already faster than what AMD will be offering, so the FX9370 comparison is slightly moot :).

That's before even considering any further process refinement that might go into KBL-X.

Surely we don't know the IPC with what Ryzen is doing. Other than AMD stated they wanted 40% greater than their previous line of CPU's and they stated they are already beating that figure back in mid December so with that what can we expect it to be upon release.

I have some sources stating that they are just over the 50% greater IPC to their previous line and match up to Intels current IPC's. Just info I have been passed on/read accordingly.

How that matches up to the true info and how this release from Intel will affect what Ryzen does will be more interesting but I don't see it as much of a threat due to the price that Intel will be bringing these chips in at.

Soldato
I wonder if that quad core is going to replace the cheap six cores CPUs, with the six core CPUs going back up in price to over the £500 mark again. Similar to how it was before Haswell-E, if so then potentially sad times ahead.

Soldato

KBL has 0% IPC increase over SKL, they use exactly the same cores.

KBL is still obviously superior to SKL, since it uses an improved 14nm'+' process, allowing it to clock higher. AVX offset is also a great feature. Only the IGPU was actually changed, allowing 4k protected content to be played etc.

As for Zen, it's unreleased, may be closer to SKL/KBL IPC than we think ;)

Soldato
Wait, apart from core count difference, what's the difference between Sky and Kaby X? Just the process (14nm vs 14nm+)? Most of normal Kabylake's improvements was on the IGP, especially the media decoder.

Last edited:
Soldato
KBL has 0% IPC increase over SKL, they use exactly the same cores.

KBL is still obviously superior to SKL, since it uses an improved 14nm'+' process, allowing it to clock higher. AVX offset is also a great feature. Only the IGPU was actually changed, allowing 4k protected content to be played etc.

As for Zen, it's unreleased, may be closer to SKL/KBL IPC than we think ;)

My post was in reply to Drunkenmaster, so your reply is a little out of context.

Despite the fact Kabylake has lower leakage at equivalent voltage and frequency, so it's obviously not only clocking higher but consuming less power whilst doing so. So clearly with that in mind, not 'only' the IGPU was changed. Please stop saying this, it's not true.

Soldato
Surely we don't know the IPC with what Ryzen is doing. Other than AMD stated they wanted 40% greater than their previous line of CPU's and they stated they are already beating that figure back in mid December so with that what can we expect it to be upon release.

From the AMD live videos comparing the Ryzen 8/16 against the 6900, the IPC of Ryzen looks same if not 1-3% faster than the Broadwel-E clock for clock at "grunt power".

Also bear in mind the AMD Ryzen had a lot of it's intelligent stuff turned off, because they were still developing the code for them. It can have much stronger IPC if all the "clever" tech of the CPU is ON!
But we shall see in a month time........ The budget is set aside either way :)

Soldato
So Cannonlake-x will also be used on the same platform? 3 CPU types this time. Wonder if Intel will keep 6 core in the HEDT range when Coffee Lake comes around.

Myself i likely won't upgrade until Ice Lake now, not much point with anything between i think, but interesting to watch for at least.

Back
Top Bottom