• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X details tip up

Soldato
damn, some hostility talk on this thread, Q3 launch (Aug) has gone to Early Early Q3 when i asked after all this news of intel releasing it early .

still thinking it'll be one hell of a board with some high ram speeds, no idea on CPUs and overclocking but all those PCIe lanes for some lovely m.2 storage. Think I might have to wack down some cash for 512/1TB 960 Pro's :D

RSR

RSR

Soldato
That's the problem with speculation, it's often wrong. X299 has a lot more to offer than what you're saying it does. The number of lanes and where doesn't tell you the whole story.

I agree with the point about speculation, even though its from a credible source who has been correct in the past.

The way I read it at the moment, is they have added a extra x4 PCIe to add support for Optane which will boost the total PCH bandwidth to 8GB/s raw without any compression algorithms. However, connectivity without bandwidth is pointless!

Just out of curiosity what are you links to Intel? Are you a reviewer or professional OC'er etc....?

Soldato
Yeah, no

You'll see soon enough. Point is, they've got storage covered and then some

I'm wondering what this could possibly be, because lets face it, you can easily run M.2 NVMe drives (2 on some boards), multiple SATA drives, and use simple RAID functions for joe public gamers and professional workstation users. If you want anything more then you get a dedicated decent RAID controller with a chunk of NVRAM for large storage arrays for server usage. Where does X299 come into this? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Soldato
Scone: hand me the shovel mate whilst you go and get the JCB :)

Re: RAM speeds, getting over 3666mhz on a Skylake platform with C16 is actually good going from my humble experience. It is nice to hit that speed but I can't see why Ryzen needs to hit that kind of speed straight out of the gate.

Re: Storage, all I personally need is 1TB of Samsung Pro M2 goodness and my Networked NAS. The days of locally attached SATA and big disks are gone for me. One 'iddy biddy M2 card goes faster than my current NAS :)

Re: PCI-Lanes - well, once the card comes I am going to run a test with a 1080ti HOF and a Alienware amp on a laptop using X4 PCI-E G3 lanes. Yep - X4 Lanes, I fully expect the experienced performance impact to be zero :)

I have an open mind on x299 but I think the Intel-E platform was for a time in 2011 where big core, big ram, big sata and big 4 GPU rigs promised the world but ultimately did not deliver the end-experience which the price tag said it would.

The world has moved on in a short space of time and it needs a serious makeover.

Ironically, the best CPU Intel launched since 2011 before Skylake was IMHO the Haswell Devils Canyon 4 core CPU. I never owned one but they went like stink.

Soldato
I agree with the point about speculation, even though its from a credible source who has been correct in the past.

The way I read it at the moment, is they have added a extra x4 PCIe to add support for Optane which will boost the total PCH bandwidth to 8GB/s raw without any compression algorithms. However, connectivity without bandwidth is pointless!

Just out of curiosity what are you links to Intel? Are you a reviewer or professional OC'er etc....?

Neither, you should see the crap he was spouting in the ryzen thread. It's best to ignore his claims until he has something to back them up with.

Don
Please share this inside knowledge of yours then. What more is it offering?

Neither, you should see the crap he was spouting in the ryzen thread. It's best to ignore his claims until he has something to back them up with.

Let's just not go there again - Thanks, Armageus

Soldato
well idf love to upgradr my 5930K rig

id love to see the following:

8C/16T
100W TDP (anything lower than 140w!)
4.0Ghz base clock turbo to 4.4Ghz

not to much to ask?
just want a good clock so games do not get let down by much

Soldato
https://benchlife.info/intel-x299-will-announce-by-navin-in-computex-2017-keynote-04212017/

Hmmm it seem both Sky Lake X and Kaby Lake X CPUs will have a new brand called Core X series, Intel will launch 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 core X CPUs next month on 30 May at Computex, reviews in early June and available for sales at retailers on 26 June 2017.

Hope Intel will do the same with Coffee Lake launch by end of July, reviews in early August then available for sales at retailers nearly end of August. :)

https://videocardz.com/68910/intel-x299-platform-launching-on-may-30th

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone looking to Coffee Lake coming from x99? Or is it only worth going Skylake-x? Wondering if the difference between mainstream and high end is going to be non existent.
A lot of people went X99 purely for 6+ cores. In that case, Coffee Lake might make more sense (although why anyone would "upgrade" from Haswell onwards at this moment in time is beyond me). If you went X99 for the extra PCIe lanes, Z370 won't cut it for you, and neither will Ryzen.

Soldato
A lot of people went X99 purely for 6+ cores. In that case, Coffee Lake might make more sense (although why anyone would "upgrade" from Haswell onwards at this moment in time is beyond me). If you went X99 for the extra PCIe lanes, Z370 won't cut it for you, and neither will Ryzen.
Yeah platform features as much important as IPC i suppose, but then there isn't a huge gap in IPC in the first place. I probably wouldn't even notice the difference in performance between any of them for general use & gaming, i guess I'll wait for testing results and see what things are like.

Soldato
Anyone looking to Coffee Lake coming from x99? Or is it only worth going Skylake-x? Wondering if the difference between mainstream and high end is going to be non existent.

I mothballed my X79 based monster rig for a mini-ITX based rig which I can carry with one hand. My mini-ITX rig is much faster in general usage and gaming. The only time I feel some loss is with video encoding.

I am open minded about Coffee Lake but I feel Intel have backed themselves into an Architectural corner. The Ryzen ITX boards are imminent, I will wait patiently to see what X299 brings but if its a load of £500 extended ATX boards bolted to a £900 CPU then Intel can ram it.

What Intel need is 6 chips at 4.5GHZ stock boost placed within a Asrock Gaming OC mini-ITX package, that would make my mouth water. AMD might beat them to it, albeit at 3.8GHZ.

Back
Top Bottom