Morientes

Permabanned
daz.wallace said:
You can tell by his touches outside of the box he is quality, he just seems to lack any confidence inside the box :(

Aye,did you see that trick Moro pulled vs Benfica (i think) , trapped the ball facing our goal,bit of fancy footwork had two Benfica players going the wrong way and Moro heading towards Benfica goal completely in the clear.Stunning,except it was on the halfway line rather than anywhere dangerous and then he goes and passes it to a Benfica player :mad:

Soldato
Hilly tucked up :p

Morientes seems another past it big name that just doesnt perform in the prem.
Much like other big name imports on big salaries that cant muster themselves to put the effort in.
Patrick Kluivert falls nicely into this category.

Latin players always find it hard to settle in this league , theres not many exceptions to this.
Albert Luque anyone?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3463539122903331747&q=newcastle

Permabanned
The weird thing is he does seem to put the effort in,just doesn't produce any quality :confused: Very frustrating.Although i do think motd2 hit on something when someone said how hard Rafa expects the strikers to work defencively.Our strikers never back off and just let opposition defenders pass the ball around at the back,they are always harrying.Maybe they're just too knackered when they get the ball (could also explain why we usually look dead on our feet for the last 15mins or so of a game)

Soldato
The strikers we have are simply not good enough, none of them. We need a pair of strikers/forwards like Rooney and van Nistelrooy if we want to be a great team in the league and destroy teams rather than just beat them by one goal. Crouch could remain as a substitute option but i dont think hes good enough to be a first choice striker.

We have the keeper, we have the defense, we have the midfield (and good backups for all being put in place), we just need the strikeforce.

Last edited:
Soldato
Peter Crouch is too light weight for someone who stands around 6ft7. 160lbs!! If you get caught in the face with one of his arms it must feel like a branch smacking you. He's lighter than Darren Fletcher (and we call him light weight), and he's seven inches taller.

What Liverpool lack is a creative forward and a powerful striker. They'll be some team next season if Benitez buys some quality players in the summer. Now if only Ferguson could do the same with our midfield. :)

Soldato
hilly said:
It's true, you thought being 6ft7 he would [ractice his headers. Scored a good one against UTD though.

The way I've heard it explained is that as a schoolboy he would have towered above every other player to the extent that he's never had to jump to contest a ball in the air. Now that he's playing against top class players he finding that they can make up for their height disadvantage because they've had to learn to jump higher and from and earlier age than he has.

Caporegime
LeoWyatt said:
Aren't united in for Defoe? Would it be a dreadful suggestion to say we should get ruud of f them?

Doubt it, we've had upteen chances to sign him in the past. Same with Robbie Keane. Don't think Ferguson likes them.

Soldato
I think Morientes is a fantastic player but unfortunately for us, he's far from doing the business. He seems to try very hard and some work on the ball is fantastic to watch but again it all comes down to goals which he isn't getting.

You just wonder how such a player finds it dificult to score when he got 150+ goals for Madrid and plenty in France.

But then you look at the rest of the strikers and you think, how many have they scored? I'm just wondering if its a tactical thing here as normally if your other striker(s) are scoring and say Morientes isn't then you would base it down to his fault.

Because they are all not scoring you do wonder whether its some other area thats hindering the goal scoring and not just down to the players.

Or is it a case like Forlan for Man U who scored very little and went to spain to become one of the best goal scoring players there.

It's a situation that needs urgent looking into for we would be so much better if we could get the goals.

Last edited:
Soldato
NokkonWud said:
Doubt it, we've had upteen chances to sign him in the past. Same with Robbie Keane. Don't think Ferguson likes them.

He wont sign Defoe, he cant finish.
I would prefere Robbie Keane to Saha.

I dont really see anybody of note coming over the summer regardless of what the papers say.

Back
Top Bottom