Mortgage advice? what to check? FTB

Soldato
OP
Just "eh?" at this post....

To be honest as well, I did push for more off the price but they said they couldn't go down further than they did, they gave me a bit more on my allowance to spend on white goods instead (costs them less). They're paying for most of the solicitors fees too (1k).

House prices may be falling, but in my area they've stayed pretty static from what I can tell, everyone i've spoken to recently who's purchased here has been able to buy for less than the sticker price, but not by much, a few K here and there :)

Might sound strange but I'm not buying as an investment as such, more as somewhere to live. If I wind up selling for a similar price 5-10 years down the line I won't lose any sleep over it! should be cheaper for me than renting, and at least my money is going towards "something".

Last edited:
Associate
I would check out the house very closely first. A friiend in Cumbernauld bought a newbuild Wimpey house, and it was terrible. I sent over our building snagging guy, and he came up with a list of nearly 200 things that were either badly done, or not up to building regs. After the house had been finished and painted, inside and out, never occupied.
Then, the floor began to sink. Wimpey's answer was to send in a guy, lower the (MDF) skirting boards, and make it all look nice. They kept doing this until the family next door took them to court - and Wimpey ended up sticking them in a hotel for months (mate, wife, newborn baby) while they tore up the floors and put in the correct type of foundations, then replaced basically everything on the ground floor.
Eventually he was happy enough, I had our snagging guy over again, and he had a list of another 120 faults (the fella has eyes like a hawk!) - silly things like nailheads still poking out of the plasterboard and just slapped putty over and painted, stuff liike that.
All fixed after about a year of nagging, and he sold the house a year later at a big loss - everyone nearby had heard about the development, as it was in all the papers. The guy who initiially took them to court - he put his brand new Jeep at the entrance to the development with signs all over it telling people not to buy there, and a big list of reasons.
Odddly, it caught fire overnight and was a write-off.
No "Friend of a friend" stuff here, this is one of my best mates and he has it all documented. Maybe Wmpey have improved since then, maybe they haven't. I don't know. But keep your eyes open!

Man of Honour
Just "eh?" at this post....

Of all the crazy posts on this forum I'd say the one you quoted would barely raise an eyebrow from me - everything he said has some grounding in reality:

"Go to Tesco. Cheapest"
Yep, they do look the cheapest at 1.99% (although as I mentioned earlier, do some sums regarding arrangement fees)

"and you are in a great position"
Sub 60% LTV is indeed a great position for a FTB.

"I would be bartering the cost of that house down to £150k as well."
New build properties nearly always sell below the list price and maybe he feels that a slightly bigger discount could be on the cards.

"House prices are falling not going up"
Correct, although there are regional variations and round here (the OP is buying close to me) generally holding their value (including new builds).

"so you could find it is worth less in 5 months time"
Perfectly true, in the current market it is not inconceivable for a property to be worth less in 5 months time.

"New builds tend to hold their value less than an older more mature property."
Again this is a widely held belief for several reasons:
-Some people don't barter as well as others and end up paying close to or on the list price which is more than the property is worth
-New builds will carry a premium because they can be decked out to the customer specification which you can rarely (easily) do with a secondhand property. So that has significant value to the first person to buy it, but not so much to the actual market value in terms of what it would be worth to somebody else
-The original purchaser gets the benefit of two years snagging whereas the next person to buy it won't, so will have the disadvantage of poor build quality relative to older houses, without the insurance of snagging (NHBC is 10 years but is much more limited in scope)

So overall I don't think there was much wrong with his post.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That sounds awful Transam! I must admit I did not get the impression that the people on my development are a bunch of cowboys, in fact they impressed me with the organisation I've seen so far, and have answered every question I've had for them too.

I have agreed a get out clause with TW in the event I Exchange, the 6 month period elapses, and then I can't get another mortgage for some reason, I will get my 10% Exchange money back. Chances are slim for this but better safe than sorry.

I have a question on the Building insurance if I may, people have said that it's easier to get Buildings insurance with the mortgage product for the first year or so, and then switch down the line. Does this generally include contents as well, or can I get the Contents insurance elsewhere?

Considering I would be buying alone and need to be paying for this every month, in the event I fall ill and can't work, would you guys recommend some insurance to cover this too? I wouldn't mind paying a little more on top for some security in this respect.

My job has been solid for the last 6 years and I can't see anything on the horizon to suggest otherwise, but you never know.

Associate
Just get your buildings insurance from where you want, all you'll need to do (at most) is photocopy the documents and send to the mortgage company.

But yes, you'd be able to get contents insurance elsewhere - mortgage company don't care whats in the house, just the structure.

Payment protection insurance is available from all sorts of places. have a read here :http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/payment-protection-insurance

Associate
Most importanlty i would look for early repayment fees. You sound like a good money saver and if you can pay off early you can save a fortune, but not if you get fined for it!

Soldato
Sounds interesting indeed - they charge £70 per spotlight in the development I'm on, everything is more expensive down south unfortunately.

I have an allowance I can spend on things before I have to cover extra costs myself, a good chunk of that would be going on spot lighting.

You can put LED bulbs into the spotlight slots though right? or does it need different sockets? I would need a lot of spotlights to be honest so LED may be the way to go as I would save a lot on electric bills.

I was reading the thread on the LED lights and they sound great for cheaper power usage, and also how long they last, but a lot of people said they also give a "cooler" temperature light, halogens give off a much warmer (more expensive) light.

I am down south! £70 is ridiculous. Seriously speak to the site manager. If they're unwilling you,'d still be able to get them done after your house is completed cheaper, you'd have to reskim the ceilings but that's crazy.

I think I bought around 50 fittings and down lights, strip lighting kitchen work tops and bulbs for porch lights all in for under £1k, all LED, drop me a PM and I'll send you some details and pictures to show you the colour and type of light they give.

10 lights will cost you £700, that's ridiculous!

Soldato
OP
I am down south! £70 is ridiculous. Seriously speak to the site manager. If they're unwilling you,'d still be able to get them done after your house is completed cheaper, you'd have to reskim the ceilings but that's crazy.

I think I bought around 50 fittings and down lights, strip lighting kitchen work tops and bulbs for porch lights all in for under £1k, all LED, drop me a PM and I'll send you some details and pictures to show you the colour and type of light they give.

10 lights will cost you £700, that's ridiculous!

I've sent you a email from trust.

Back
Top Bottom