Mortgage: How many properties did you look before..

Associate
As with most things in my life for some reason I just went for the one I looked at first (same with cars I buy etc - always worked fine for me).

Decided I wanted a house of my own, spoke to IFA, spent one lunch hour in work lookin at places, found one I liked, visited it twice and bought it. That was 2 years ago :)

Soldato
Has anyone done this? bought a place that's unlivable and slowly done it up?

Was nearly unlivable - my current place in West London was in a terrible state. The family who lived in before were terrible at DIY, and tried to do everything themselves. Floor was wrecked, subfloor damaged in someplaces, 4 leaks in the mains water supply, dangerous boiler (they had fitted it themselves!) with leaks inside, live wires sticking out of walls and taped up, condensation issues, disgusting bathroom and kitchen...done it up in one go over a couple of months and it looks great now.

Soldato
You see in my mind you should be buying a 230k house if you have a 60k despot. This way you will not have to move for longer and when you do move and house prices have gone up (which they generally do over 10 years) it will be easier for you to upgrade to a bigger family home. Suffer while you are young and it will make life easier when you get older.

Well thats what I have done, I bought a bigger house then I can afford, made massive cut backs in my life and not driving the sort of car I would like to but providing we don't want to change area I don't think we will ever have to move again.

230k?! Are you kidding?! I'll be retiring by the time I pay off the 91k house, plus why would I need to move again? there's only me, my fiance and the dog. No plans for kids and we're moving into a 3 bedroom anyway, why would we ever need to move house?

Soldato
230k?! Are you kidding?! I'll be retiring by the time I pay off the 91k house, plus why would I need to move again? there's only me, my fiance and the dog. No plans for kids and we're moving into a 3 bedroom anyway, why would we ever need to move house?

I just assumed you would have kids at some point, I probably just have a different outlook in life, I always want to upgrade what I have to something bigger and better so I just assumed your first home is a "starter" home and a stepping stone to your next bigger better home.

Caporegime
Been looking on Rightmove for about 6 months on the run up to December/Jan

Looked at about 10 in 2 weeks before putting offer in on one. Just felt right. Don't rush into anything and dont try and justify any bad points to yourself - there are plenty of houses out there.

Soldato
I just assumed you would have kids at some point, I probably just have a different outlook in life, I always want to upgrade what I have to something bigger and better so I just assumed your first home is a "starter" home and a stepping stone to your next bigger better home.

Kids aren't on the cards at the moment, but why would we get a mortgage on a £230,000 house when we can get an awesome mortgage on a £91,000 house, do it up, sell it when house prices are high and move to a bigger house using the profits from that sale? In the 91k house we will have a ton of spare cash to pay off the mrs's car and have enough money saved up for a rainy day.

At the moment, the house we're looking at is 15-20 mins away from where we both work and it is a starter home yes, but I've got no plans to move in the next 10 years unless I get a job that requires it, in which case it will be more money anyway

Soldato
5 properties before buying. We only plan to be there for 3-4 years max.
I know someone that bought a 5 bed 300K house in Nottingham at the weekend and that was the first house they had seen.

Soldato
In total I think we looked at about 5 or 6, however the house we ended up buying was only the 2nd or 3rd we saw.

As soon as the mrs saw it she knew it was the one, she is a bit superstitious and has a thing for the number 23 (passed driving test on the 23rd, born on 23rd and this house number happened to be number 23)

Soldato
I was 26 when I bought. End of Decembe 2010. No help from parents, although my co-buyer got his desposit from his Mum. Interest-only.

Looked at probably 20-30 properties, offered on three. Two rejected, one we couldn't agree on a price after the valuation came in lower than our bid so we left it alone!

Edit - ooops, wrong thread!

Last edited:

ntg

ntg

Associate
Kids aren't on the cards at the moment, but why would we get a mortgage on a £230,000 house when we can get an awesome mortgage on a £91,000 house, do it up, sell it when house prices are high and move to a bigger house using the profits from that sale? In the 91k house we will have a ton of spare cash to pay off the mrs's car and have enough money saved up for a rainy day.

At the moment, the house we're looking at is 15-20 mins away from where we both work and it is a starter home yes, but I've got no plans to move in the next 10 years unless I get a job that requires it, in which case it will be more money anyway

Don't forget that even if prices go up a lot, let's say 50% in the next 5 years, you will make a profit of £45k on the house (excluding the redecorating, solicitor etc fees you have already paid). What will you buy with £135k in 5 years???? (obviously depending on the area etc.).

Whereas on a property worth £200k a 50% increase would give you a £300k property to look for.

Anyway, it's not a good idea to see it this way as well, since waiting for prices to go up and sell for a profit won't really get you a bigger house as the whole market will have moved up along.

Soldato
Don't forget that even if prices go up a lot, let's say 50% in the next 5 years, you will make a profit of £45k on the house (excluding the redecorating, solicitor etc fees you have already paid). What will you buy with £135k in 5 years???? (obviously depending on the area etc.).

Whereas on a property worth £200k a 50% increase would give you a £300k property to look for.

This is what I was trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom