Mortgage Rate Rises

1.8 plus base seems high. My tracker is 0.75+Base, although when looking i did see a few that were 1.25 plus base.

I think only First Direct were the only ones above 1.25, which was the reason i moved away from them.

It may be 1.8 was the full rate. Post isn't clear.
But it obviously would be more than 1.8 now with the base rate what it is

Last edited:
It's.not legal if it's tax evasion (if @BUDFORCE is correct)... Tax avoidance is legal albeit morally ambiguous at times but tax evasion is illegal.

I just seen this clip from Question Time:

BBC News - BBC Question Time: 'My mortgage offer went to 10.4% after mini-budget' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63084380

10.4%?

Given her initial rate was 4.x%, I can't see it being because of risk... That increase is mental.
I saw that last night, she is talking absolute rubbish, I can't find anywhere near a 10% mortgage online, the worst she could do is a shade over 6%,if she named the bank that offered her that then I'd believe her a little bit, but as it is, her story is completely BS.

Our deal ends Feb 24 just hoping that it calms down a bit by then. Plan was originally to reduce term by 5 years, doubt we will be able to afford that now.

Probably will get worse as the BOE is expected to raise rates.
As your in the 6 month window now I would start looking at mortgage deals. The longer you leave it the higher they will go I think

Last edited:
Our deal ends Feb 24 just hoping that it calms down a bit by then. Plan was originally to reduce term by 5 years, doubt we will be able to afford that now.

unlikely mate, it will probably be closer to 6% - you can arrange a new deal now, might be worth speaking with an independent advisor. for context my mate just paid 2k to exit his deal with expires next year to agree a new one now.

edit... just saw Feb 24, (not 23)

maybe that does allow some time to stabilize

Last edited:

Interest rates are only headed in one direction so it may be prudnet to start having a look now and trying to get something decent secured. The days of sub 2% deals are pretty much over and I think anything around the 3.x % mark is going to be good value as the BoE will be increasing rates at least one more time before the end of this year.

I'm fixed at 2.02 until 2025. I've got a balance of 42k and savings of 25k I was keeping to pay off the max repayment each year.

Guessing now it should be easy to find somewhere to lock in that 25k and make more than 2.02% over 2/3 years in a fairly safe vehicle?

I'm fixed at 2.02 until 2025. I've got a balance of 42k and savings of 25k I was keeping to pay off the max repayment each year.

Guessing now it should be easy to find somewhere to lock in that 25k and make more than 2.02% over 2/3 years in a fairly safe vehicle?

My car is a pretty safe vehicle, I'll drive over and you can leave it in my boot :)

You can get 4.3% on a 2 year fix, likely to go higher though.

Back
Top Bottom