Mortgage Rate Rises

Barclays is doing Savings Account (Rainy Day Savings) with 5.12% interest rate. The conditions are that you need to have Blue Awards (cost £5 per month) but if you have 2 DD set up in your current account, you get that £5 back. Also max £5000 limit at this rate.

Easy access, no minimum amounts.

Barclays is doing Savings Account (Rainy Day Savings) with 5.12% interest rate. The conditions are that you need to have Blue Awards (cost £5 per month) but if you have 2 DD set up in your current account, you get that £5 back. Also max £5000 limit at this rate.

Tempted to switch my account!

Always with the DD noncense. I literally don't have any direct debits....last time I opened an account I had to put on 2 pet charitys for the DD.

Last edited:

More trouble than what it's worth. And a maximum of £5000 lol

It’s likely we’ll be in a situation where savings rates are higher than people’s existing fixed mortgage rates. Has anyone run the numbers on overpayments and whether it makes sense to leave the money in a savings account for a year and then overpaying a lump sum annually?

It’s likely we’ll be in a situation where savings rates are higher than people’s existing fixed mortgage rates. Has anyone run the numbers on overpayments and whether it makes sense to leave the money in a savings account for a year and then overpaying a lump sum annually?
Perhaps this explains why savings aren't catching up with current interest rates, to encourage people with money, to put it into paying off more of their mortgage?

Just got on this, didn't realise til I read this post so thanks ha

Perhaps this explains why savings aren't catching up with current interest rates, to encourage people with money, to put it into paying off more of their mortgage?
I saw an article a while back saying banks only increase saving rates when they need your money.

Since the pandemic they've seen people loads of extra savings being deposited as people couldn't do recreational activities. so they don't need extra money right now.

Yeah looks like competition for savings is hotting up.

That barclays offer is very good! Miles better than anything else I'd you have a few k but a low rate mortgage

Been a very stressful time period. Mortgage up next April and I’ve been considering remortgaging for a few months. ERC has constantly put me off (1.6k) and I’ve watched as rates have risen bit by bit.

Bit the bullet on Monday and managed to secure Barclays 3.49% for 7 years. Have added ERC to mortgage, added 2 years to mortgage (frustrating, but needs must) and will eventually be paying £120 per month more than I was. Thankfully this is more or less covered by a recent pay increase at work.

Not ideal but pleased I acted eventually, could have been far far worse. Have checked rates every day since and I wouldn’t have got near 3.49% even a couple of days later.

Hopefully in 7 years time things will be more stable!

Been a very stressful time period. Mortgage up next April and I’ve been considering remortgaging for a few months. ERC has constantly put me off (1.6k) and I’ve watched as rates have risen bit by bit.

Bit the bullet on Monday and managed to secure Barclays 3.49% for 7 years. Have added ERC to mortgage, added 2 years to mortgage (frustrating, but needs must) and will eventually be paying £120 per month more than I was. Thankfully this is more or less covered by a recent pay increase at work.

Not ideal but pleased I acted eventually, could have been far far worse. Have checked rates every day since and I wouldn’t have got near 3.49% even a couple of days later.

Hopefully in 7 years time things will be more stable!

same boat as you, wise move.. you will be looking at 6% come April for sure

Back
Top Bottom