Mortgage Rate Rises

With all that cash sloshing around, I guess their is not much chance of a property downturn anytime soon.

Which TBH is a good thing for the majority
What we could really do with is decades (like 2-3 minimum) of virtually unchanging house prices.

2-3 decades would likely see a roughly halving in effective real world cost.

Not good for investments though everything seems to be about growth and more, more, more.

Actually there is a place in investments for more secure holdings as well. Not all investments are about growth. They should be balanced.

Eg historically many pension funds would move towards low risk low return assets as you approached retirement

Caporegime
But you miss the key, this figure includes people selling a house and buying another. So they dont have all that cash in the bank, they buy the new house funded with the sale of their current house. The actual figure of people who have cash in the bank and could buy a 2nd house outright is far lower.

True enough.
Many downsizing would fall into this

Associate
I remember reading about a year ago Lloyd's would be buying properties to become the Uk's largest private landlord.
So I guess any defaults where they own the mortgage and those repossessions won't make it to market.
Banks aren't in business to act as landlords and neither do they need to be.

Associate
How many have the cash to buy additional properties?
More people than what many realise. The last 2 properties my friend bought were for £800k and £700k and rents them out to reliable professionals. He could have easily have bought many more cheaper properties in other parts of the country with that same £1.5M, and indeed many other cash rich landlords do.

Caporegime

I’ll leave it to Surveyor to comment as it’s his number. However the more recent numbers have jumped up a bit as clearly people have swapped properties in the city for others outside to be mortgage free is my guess.

Lucian Cook, head of residential research at Savills, said the proportion of cash buyers in the market might have been expected to fall in the past year, since home loan rates remained at historic lows and drove demand from mortgaged buyers. But the share of cash buyers remained unchanged at about 35 per cent of the market, and the average cash buyer bought a home valued at £368,600, compared with spending of £302,500 by the average mortgaged buyer. Cash buyers include people who sell one home to buy another, without taking out a mortgage, and those who buy without a prior sale, using cash.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just took a mortgage to pay for my house and found out about the rate rising. I'm shocked and don't know if it's covered by my insurance. I contacted the company where I took the mortgage and I'm still waiting for their reply.
What insurance are you referring to?

Back
Top Bottom