Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
Personally I really don't want to see large falls, I want nigh on zero house price inflation for a couple of decades
Its somewhat of a pipedream but the impacts of large house price falls are wide and ripple round
I can get onboard with that. Never going to happen though unfortunately. I think some people that purchased in the last 18 months are in for a nasty sting somewhere down the line though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Nationwide HPI isn't. Which was what I linked.

From my first link

"The Nationwide Housing Price Index (HPI) is the U.K.'s second earliest report on house prices. It measures the change in the selling price of homes with mortgages backed by Nationwide."

The Nationwide methodology is also available, it's based on their mortgages to calculate what is happening in the market.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nationwide HPI isn't. Which was what I linked.

From my first link

"The Nationwide Housing Price Index (HPI) is the U.K.'s second earliest report on house prices. It measures the change in the selling price of homes with mortgages backed by Nationwide."
Ok so your link is based on mortgage properties and only those for Nationwide and compares that with previous mortgage properties for Nationwide.

Soldato
Really enjoying this guy's content.

I agree with him there will be a lot of cash buyers looking to buy property. I also think rates won’t stay high for a long period. As he says short dip next year but medium term they will likely greatly increase due to cash buyers.
When the rate fiasco feeds in we can expect a sharper drop imo.
Absolutely agree. People are risk off right now so won’t be looking to move. The number of properties for sale has also dropped a lot (just from a quick look in my area, no idea if this is across the country).

Soldato
When the rate fiasco feeds in we can expect a sharper drop imo.

The thing I find interesting, is that right now I'm renting a nice place in Berkshire; Barn conversion with a double garage/parking, large garden, 2 bedrooms and plenty of space, for £1550 in a very very nice area.

I'm from Lincoln originally, the average price of a decent 3 bed semi with a garden, garage and stuff is around £300k.

Right now if I want a mortgage with a 10% deposit on a house in Lincoln for £300k, it's going to come in around £1800 a month*, that means in Lincoln - you'd need to have a household income of around £120k, in order for the mortgage payment to be around 30% of takehome salary, there aren't many people earning £120k in Lincoln.....

It just seems nuts to me, that it's cheaper for me to rent in Berkshire, than it is to own an average house in Lincoln. Then there's the question of how many people up there are going to be able to afford £1800 a month on a mortgage, I know people renting in London who are paying less...**

* Before this all kicked off, the same mortgage on the same property would have been around £1050-1100 a month.
**I imagine rents will also rise,

Back
Top Bottom