Mortgage Rate Rises

Caporegime
If that’s true then I feel a little relieved as we could get through that. It would have been getting dodgy anywhere over 6% though.

Can see the effect the fixed rates of 6ish percent will be having in next couple of months.

It will reduce spending power of so many people and cause repossessions I expect inflation to start to fall away.
Many will just hunker down

Soldato
My sister and her husband are struggling very badly with mortgage price rises now.

They both work full time, she works for local council and he is a carpenter.

It is possible they may lose their home that they worked their entire life for and both are very hard working and skilled.

I would guess that a huge number of people have already lost their homes / businesses in the last 25 - 30 months.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It's really a failure of education if British people go to school for 12 years and end up doing those jobs.

But most of those jobs are important, so we still need people to do them. Without fruit and veg pickers people will starve. Without delivery drivers, vulnerable people who can't get out would suffer etc.

We really need to let this notion of "unskilled" jobs are somehow "lesser" Certain "unskilled" jobs are vital for a functioning economy and really should be paid accordingly.

Soldato
My sister and her husband are struggling very badly with mortgage price rises now.

It is possible they may lose their home that they worked their entire life for and both are very hard working and skilled.

I would guess that a huge number of people have already lost their homes / businesses in the last 25 - 30 months.
Repossessions are extremely low at the moment. Currently running at 4,000 whereas in the past they have run at 50,000 per year. Banks are very reluctant to do this anymore as it takes 2 years so they will likely try other things to help first.

Soldato

Surely when they took the mortgage they'd have been stress tested to mortgage rates around 5-6% so should in theory be affordable (ignoring other rising costs). I've not really seen too much to say people are struggling beyond normal cut backs.

It is depressing seeing todays news add on £75 a month to my bill though :(

Last edited:
Soldato
For probably the first time ever I made 100% the right choice by locking into a 7 year mortgage back in 2019.
With today's interest rate hike, I'm now paying less than base rate (2.43% until July 2026).
I do feel sorry for those people mortgaged high and historically relying on low tracker mortgages etc.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well i am fixed to Jan 2025, I am expecting 8-10% by the time this comes around. Its not going to get better in 2 years, lets hope crypto ignores this rigged system and it goes to the Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

(based on my football predictions and shares this is not going to happen either)

Back
Top Bottom